The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Tail of the Dragon - Stop the trucks petition in fallen riders' name.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 10:21 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
the only thing i see happening is police enforcing the speed limit. just cause its a known road where people speed shouldn't limit other vehicles from being on that road. Obviously a car speeding around a blind corner isn't going to have enough room to stop for anything. Be it a broken down car or an animal or yes even a truck that crossed a double line. But i guarantee that a speeding car down the mountain has crossed the double yellow line more than once as well which puts more people at danger. drive it responsibly period its not a track its a PUBLIC ROAD.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:42 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by rdeverett
Like MyG'n'Me said, an alternate route could cause a whole lot more problems than most people see. It can easily increase the cost of whatever the driver is hauling (bulk diesel is at about $3.71/gal, trucks get about 6miles/gal, and drivers make at least $0.30 a mile; you do the math). Not to mention it can cause shipments to be delayed due to drivers being limited to 11 hours of drive time. I think the only solution would be to prohibit 53 footers on the Tail of the Dragon. 40 and 20 footers shouldn't be a problem for any good driver.
lol-6 miles to a gallon...downhill with a tailwind maybe. Wow, $0.30 a mile. Where can I get in on that jackpot? For that pittance I wouldn't even look at a truck let alone drive it.

The best way to determine whether or not a 53' trailer fit on this route is to shut it down for testing and have two professional truckers drive it at the same time in opposite directions, that could be some interesting video to watch. B-trains, two 30' trailers in unison, would be a solution. Easily fit in the lane and 7' more in total length.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:54 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by iamtimshady
Accidents, injuries, deaths have occurred because there is not room for trucks. Period. Bringing up the the facts that; not a lot of people have been killed (seriously? Life not important to you, & you cant argue against 100's of accidents, many with injuries), the other reasons for accidents (thats topic for another discussion), the fact that it is a known road that people speed (all the more reason it makes no sense to block the route around a blind corner with a multi-ton wall of steel on wheels), "Im a truck driver and I could have made that curve" (congrats, your 1 of 10 @ best, obviously the ones in the photos running over cars/bikes & off both sides of the road had trouble. Keep in mind those 3 curves in the picture are 3 of over 300 in 11 miles).

I agree w/rdeverett, its the 53 footers that are the big problem. The shorter ones fall back on the driver, the long ones end up running out of space on quite a few series of curves, becoming an obvioua hazard.

There are other routes that are not much different in length and are completely safe for 53'+ trailers. Regardless of the cost per mile & any extra time it could take (although the slightly longer route has a higher speed limit, less stop & go, less accidents, so it would take less time), unsafe is unsafe & something should be done. At the very least a 53' should have a mandatory lead flagger since it WILL cross a double yellow line (no matter how good the truck driver is) thus turning it essentially into a hazardous wide load.
Once you've driven across the Rockies in a blizzard at 3am let me know, until then what you think you know about trucking is meaningless to me. Looking at pictures of accidents doesn't make you an expert on whether or not a 53' trailer is safe on this road.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:29 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MyG'n'Me
lol-6 miles to a gallon...downhill with a tailwind maybe. Wow, $0.30 a mile. Where can I get in on that jackpot? For that pittance I wouldn't even look at a truck let alone drive it.

The best way to determine whether or not a 53' trailer fit on this route is to shut it down for testing and have two professional truckers drive it at the same time in opposite directions, that could be some interesting video to watch. B-trains, two 30' trailers in unison, would be a solution. Easily fit in the lane and 7' more in total length.
Our trucks get anywhere from 5.5-6 miles to the gallon. 2012 Peterbilt 386 day cabs. Our drivers make on average $0.40 a mile in company trucks and get back to their families every night/day. If I was a driver I'd much rather do that than go over the road in a heavy-*** sleeper getting 4 miles to the gallon while paying for gas and every other cost associated with being an owner op.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:30 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
I should try that road out on a truck one day before they close it. Show Swift drivers how to properly pull 53ft trailer with Freightliner Classic XL taking up both lanes. I think Freightliner put a steering wheel in to that truck as a decorative piece, cuz it does not do much else.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:36 AM
Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts
Looks interesting and close enough for a day trip...

Old 08-25-2011, 02:50 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 239 Likes on 159 Posts
it is how it is.. Just like here in cali there are some roads you can "drive" on and some roads you just don't do nothing more then a cruise. Bikers should know better then to hit a road that hard without checking for trucks first.

But yes I'll agree that trucks shouldn't be on a road like that having a semi that needs to cross over to make a turn just means that the road isnt and shouldnt have a truck that size on it. With that said I'm glad cali has a weight restrictions on most of our "curvy" or even steep roads.

And at the same time I would never speed on a road like that. Just like most members here wouldnt go on some of the roads here during certain times of the day for a speedy drive..

Old 08-29-2011, 11:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been up there. That road is a workout, any speed In a car near the speed limit is probably too fast for a lot of the turns. Oh, and no room for error! Mistakes will cost , as the 'Tree of shame' will attest . For a more open and scenic drive I prefer Cherohala Skyway. Its great in a good GT car. You can move through the gears while enjoying the smooth curves and beautiful scenery. Respect the road!