The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Solving Oil Consumption Issue without new engine replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 06:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Solving Oil Consumption Issue without new engine replacement

So I have a 2003 G35 Sedan with premium and sport package.
The car has about 138,000 miles on it now.
However, recently the car has been eating oil at about 1 quart every 1,100 miles. A big increase from when it was new when it consumed at most half a quart every oil change.
The oil has been religiously changed every 2000 miles to 5000 miles interval.
There was 2 instances when the low oil pressure warning came on but the oil was changed soon afterwards. That was when I began to notice the 1-2 quarts that would come out from the 5 i originally dumped in.

1) Would replacing the following help stop the oil consumption?
Piston Rings
Valve Springs
Valve Cover Gasket
Valve Cover
PCV Valve
Spark Plug Tube Seal
Spark Plugs-need to be changed anyway
Clean Fuel Injectors

2)Anything else you guys would recommend changing at all in addition to the list above?

3)Should I order OEM parts to replace?

Old 08-31-2011, 07:38 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
You need to identify the cause of your oil loss, pre-emptively changing stuff may help, or it might not. If you're burning a lot of oil, there will be symptoms of that in the exhaust or car or your HC's will be high in a smog test, but you could also be leaking it somewhere.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:45 PM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
new pistons and rings should do it. But you can't just slap a new one it. You're going to have to bore out the block a bit.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by marcinr
You need to identify the cause of your oil loss, pre-emptively changing stuff may help, or it might not. If you're burning a lot of oil, there will be symptoms of that in the exhaust or car or your HC's will be high in a smog test, but you could also be leaking it somewhere.
I recently did a smog test and got the certificate. It passes California's emission control so the HC's can't be high but the car had been warmed up to operating temperature already for the test.

It's not leaking anywhere as far as I can tell when I take the undercarrage off to change the oil. I also recently had the engine oil pan and gasket replaced with a brand new OEM one as well.

The only thing I can remember is one time when the battery died after the car sat for one summer and when I went to start it, it wouldn't start so I put in a new battery and it started. However, for like 10 minutes it just blew a bunch of white smoke out of the exhaust but returned to normal soon afterwards again.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:20 PM
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
My 06' was burning it but i was lucky enough to get a free longblock because of the SB on the Rev-up motors, check your exhaust for oil, oil was coming out my muffler. Do a compression test. Id pick up a used motor i always had good luck through the importers when i was buying Rb's.

www.venus-auto.com not sure if they have vq's

Old 08-31-2011, 10:08 PM
I checked the exhaust but nothing seemed out of place. Didnt take the exhaust out but from what I could see from it under the jack stand, it was normal. The tips had some black carbon accumulation that had accumulated though.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:10 PM
Received 291 Likes on 218 Posts
ummm.....what is your budget.

Stage 1 Short Block packages start at $2765 and include CP Pistons, Eagle Rods, ACL Bearings, machining, align hone, balance, blueprint and pro assembly!

Stage 1 Long Block packages start at $3690 and include the Stage1 Short Block, ARP L19 Head Studs, ARP Main Studs, Cometic Head Gaskets, Mill & Clean Heads and assembly.

https://g35driver.com/forums/6021410-post11.html

Old 08-31-2011, 11:16 PM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
With your high mileage engine getting into it is a waste of your $$ and time. Pull your plugs and see what kinda shape they're in, if you find one fowled, replace it. Add a quart of Rislone to your oil, available at most auto parts stores. This is only a band aid, but should slow down your OC issues. If you intend to keep your G35 continue to look for engine replacements either new or used low mileage depending on your budget/pocketbook. Good Luck!
Gary

Old 08-31-2011, 11:17 PM
Around 1 grand would be the max for now for parts only.

Or maybe I'll just wait until next spring or summer and do a major rebuild of the car with the new self-repairing paint that the new G37 comes with and numerous other beneficial mods I've seen on this forum.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:22 PM
Originally Posted by gary c
With your high mileage engine getting into it is a waste of your $$ and time. Pull your plugs and see what kinda shape they're in, if you find one fowled, replace it. Add a quart of Rislone to your oil, available at most auto parts stores. This is only a band aid, but should slow down your OC issues. If you intend to keep your G35 continue to look for engine replacements either new or used low mileage depending on your budget/pocketbook. Good Luck!
Gary
Just out of curiosity,

1) Is it possible to mount a Rev-Up engine from the coupe or the newer VQ35HR or maybe even a new G37 engine in the G35 Sedan?

2)The G37 engine might need new engine mounts but will the VQ35HR engine and the Rev-Up fit the stock engine mounts in the 2003 Infiniti G35 Sedan?

3)Should I go to the dealer for an engine and what prices are you guys paying for a replacement engine?

Old 09-01-2011, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator
Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts
I hit this issue with my 03 Coupe 5AT. Starting using oil like crazy all during the course of one oil change. I have thought back and wondered if it was the result of detonation from using 87 octane in it all the time. Wonder if it just killed the pistons, rings, valve or what?

Old 09-01-2011, 04:05 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,487 Likes on 1,222 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Not sure but your speculation is just another reason Osiris is such a good option for our cars. One of my maps is for low octane and will allow the engine to run on 86 or up with no detonation or damage. The tune really is a godsend for our cars, far more valuable than just adding power.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
Not sure but your speculation is just another reason Osiris is such a good option for our cars. One of my maps is for low octane and will allow the engine to run on 86 or up with no detonation or damage. The tune really is a godsend for our cars, far more valuable than just adding power.
Ummm... What is Osiris exactly and what does it exactly do for our cars?

Old 09-01-2011, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by Kuneff
I hit this issue with my 03 Coupe 5AT. Starting using oil like crazy all during the course of one oil change. I have thought back and wondered if it was the result of detonation from using 87 octane in it all the time. Wonder if it just killed the pistons, rings, valve or what?
Yeah I also considered that possibility because when the car was new the only gas I put in was premium but when prices rose, I gradually switched to mid grade and then regular because I wasnt seeing any side effects.

Maybe switching back to premium and cleaning the throttle body and fuel injectors might tell me whether the low grade gas is good or bad for our cars.

Doesnt our cars have knock sensors in them that are suppose to detect knocking and adjust the engine accordingly?

Last edited by william747400; 09-01-2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:22 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
i thought oil consumption was only on the 05 + models not the 03-04. Makes me a bit nervous now

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Solving Oil Consumption Issue without new engine replacement