G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Solving Oil Consumption Issue without new engine replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 11:24 AM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by jibberjabbers
For Sedans, Premium isn't necessary.

For coupes, regular fuel can be used temporarily, and you must not smash on the gas or drive "abruptly" according to the manual.

And they recommend you replace it with Premium ASAP.

That makes no sense, they use the same engine and are same car, mins 100lbs.

Old 10-22-2011, 08:23 PM
Banned
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
this oil consumtion makes me nervous because im going to check out an 06 g35 6mt coupe later this week i currently have a 04 g35 coupe 5at for over 3 years and no problems with oil. So the question is if i do get one with oil consumption, what should i do? i know that theres no way of knowing if it has oil consumption before purchasing or is there? how long would it last?

p.s. i really wanted a 6mt when i got my 04 5at, now that i have the money for one im scared for oc problems.

-luis

Old 10-23-2011, 04:27 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c
He has a first gen sedan with 138K mile on it's clock, if it wasn't serviced on a regular basis it's not going to last. I can guarantee it didn't have it's oil/filter changed every 3500 miles or he wouldn't be in this situation! Don't be nervous just get your service done on time...
Gary
I would Deffently be nervous if I was him.
I own a 04 6mt coupe I've only used moble one 5w30 ever 3-3500 miles and my engine consumes 1quart every 1000 miles.
Before I brought the car I got all the records from the dealer and
The PO never was late on his maitnence.
I brought it at 70k miles and now I have 83k

Old 10-26-2011, 12:53 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well in case you guys were wondering, I just had both valve covers,gaskets,and seals replaced by my local mechanic because he noticed excessive oil around cylinders 5&6 while changing the spark plugs. This seems to have fixed the problem for now having driven a bit over 1000 miles since and the oil level has stayed constant.

I believe he said that the spark plug tube seals were the problem for the leaking oil that was getting burned and blown out the exhaust pipe.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:07 AM
Originally Posted by william747400
Well in case you guys were wondering, I just had both valve covers,gaskets,and seals replaced by my local mechanic because he noticed excessive oil around cylinders 5&6 while changing the spark plugs. This seems to have fixed the problem for now having driven a bit over 1000 miles since and the oil level has stayed constant.

I believe he said that the spark plug tube seals were the problem for the leaking oil that was getting burned and blown out the exhaust pipe.
That's good to know,I'll have to check my spark plugs to see if I have that problem as well.
How much did that cost if you don't mine me asking?you can pm me if you dont want to post it here.in just trying to avoid getting overcharged because we got some shady a&$ mechanics were I'm at.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:44 PM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by westbank23
I would Deffently be nervous if I was him.
I own a 04 6mt coupe I've only used moble one 5w30 ever 3-3500 miles and my engine consumes 1quart every 1000 miles.
Before I brought the car I got all the records from the dealer and
The PO never was late on his maitnence.
I brought it at 70k miles and now I have 83k
Jesus! Even my '89 with a blown rear seal doesn't go thru that much oil!

May want to rethink your oil choice or viscosity, to a thicker oil.

Btw, changing oil often has little bearing on consumption. Changing deals with contaminants. Consuming deals with leakage of some sort, whether outside the engine or into the pistons or cooling system.

While it's neat that you waste oil and overchange it when it's not dirty, you need to fix the gasket or ring issue now.

Edit: Not you specifically, but the OP who changes his oil religiously. 2000 miles? Seriously?

Last edited by jstudrawa; 10-26-2011 at 03:57 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:59 PM
That's good to know,I'll have to check my spark plugs to see if I have that problem as well.
How much did that cost if you don't mine me asking?you can pm me if you dont want to post it here.in just trying to avoid getting overcharged because we got some shady a&$ mechanics were I'm at.
The engine valve covers were a little less than 700 for both the left and right engine valve covers including all the seals and gaskets, the whole kit. labor was around 200. after taxes it was around 1k.

http://www.infinitipartsusa.com/part...oupe&year=2007

https://www.infinitipartsonline.com/...FZRI5woda3YwCg

You can check these two websites for the prices to make sure they are not over charging you.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:10 PM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by boostedforlife
That makes no sense, they use the same engine and are same car, mins 100lbs.
Yeah, same motor as the Nissan Maxima, Altima and Pathfinder. But don't take my words for it.

Manual states it's ok for Automatic sedans to use Regular. Everything else requires Premium. And they clearly state you must not smash on the gas when using Regular.

Old 10-27-2011, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by william747400
The engine valve covers were a little less than 700 for both the left and right engine valve covers including all the seals and gaskets, the whole kit. labor was around 200. after taxes it was around 1k.

http://www.infinitipartsusa.com/part...oupe&year=2007

https://www.infinitipartsonline.com/...FZRI5woda3YwCg

You can check these two websites for the prices to make sure they are not over charging you.
So how about another early update?is your oil levels still good?I'm really tempted to do this but I'm afraid that if I spend a $1000.the OC wont go away.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:43 PM
So how about another early update?is your oil levels still good?I'm really tempted to do this but I'm afraid that if I spend a $1000.the OC wont go away.
The oil level is still within specs on the dipstick but the ultimate test will be when i go to change the oil in a few weeks and put some miles on before checking again.

I'm not sure what year car you have and the mileage but if your car still has the powertran warranty then you may qualify for a free repair at the dealership or maybe even a free replacement engine. The mechanic found my problem when I went to have the spark plugs changed to find that there was oil collecting around the tube seals.

IF you figure out the problem, make sure you find a reliable shop that will warranty their work and parts for any defects in case that doesn't fix it. My mechanic warranties his workmenship and parts for one year in case anything goes wrong.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:05 PM
I have 04 6mtt with 80xxx miles but it's Been going on sence I brought the car at 70xxx.
After doing a good bit of research I found out that the pcv system runs threw the valve covers and also known to clog up,when that happens it can cause OC and the only way to unclog them is to get new valve covers.so F it I'm going to try it and see what happens.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:35 PM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
I have 04 6mtt with 80xxx miles but it's Been going on sence I brought the car at 70xxx.
After doing a good bit of research I found out that the pcv system runs threw the valve covers and also known to clog up,when that happens it can cause OC and the only way to unclog them is to get new valve covers.so F it I'm going to try it and see what happens.
The main culprit is the pistons and rings. Good luck though.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One thing i have noticed with the DE engine, is that the PCV system pulls a big vacuum on idle, consequently a lot of oil gets drawn into the plenum during idle, and gets burned when on higher throttle openings,
obviously high mileage wear causing less ring seal will compound this, try fitting a catch can, i recently removed my plenum after having a catch can fitted for the last year, and the plenum was dry, this is in comparison with how it looked when i first fitted it, there was a lot of oil sitting in every indentation of the lower plenum.