The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Just bought 03 G35 coupe 6 speed...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 12:29 PM
Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by faiz23
Use e-brake on hills to start off so you do not roll back. Once you get the car in first gear and finesse clutch / throttle let off e-brake once you feel the car wanting to move. This will prevent you from rolling back and end up freaking out and burning up your clutch. Also quit being a little girl and grow a pair of nutz and get out there with some basic tools and do the mod. Otherwise sell your car to someone who know how to drive a manual or willing to mod their vehicle.
Nothing like some tough love! I took this to heart as I have been a little girl and scared to do this mod.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:13 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
when ur on a hill and u hit the clutch point ur car wont roll back and u jus give it some gas and go. idk but for me i can really feel when the clutch grabs when im on a hill

Old 09-20-2011, 06:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did the spring delay mod and it definitely is easier to drive. I would recommend this mod. When you take the spring out there is some play at the top of the clutch so just adjust the cruise control sensor down to get rid of this. Much easier to feel out the engagement point.The thing is that the engagement point is pretty much right at the top of the clutch now since taking that spring out. The spring probably returns the clutch all the way to the top. With the spring out the clutch just goes slightly lower than it used to when disengaged.

Old 09-23-2011, 05:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure what spring mod you're referring to, but when I first got my G, I used the stopper mod. Made things a lot easier too. I'm running on basically bald rear tires, and even on rainy days on a hill, I can get the car off easily.

If you're still having trouble, try that mod. There must be sticky or some thread on it still here. Or...continue with what you have, you'll get the hang of it soon.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:22 AM
Read the thread! Its currently only 1.5 pages. He did the mod already, and reported that the car is able to drive a lot better as a result. The mod that he did is also linked on the first page I believe.

Old 09-24-2011, 05:39 PM
I need a bit of help please. One of my friends and I just finished doing this mod. I haven't driven the car yet, but it seems like there is a new and unfamiliar sound coming from the car while it is running and in neutral with the clutch disengaged. The noise goes away completely when the clutch is engaged (even a little bit), but it is almost like the car is slightly louder if she isn't in gear or if I don't press the clutch.

Can anyone advise? Is this just one of the drawbacks of doing this? Is the pedal in need of adjustment? Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Old 09-24-2011, 06:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The mod that I did with the stopper doesn't have the drawbacks that you described. I never adjusted the pedal at all. Basically, what the mod did was make the travel distance of the clutch pedal shorter.

I've got friends who drive other cars and they just really move their heels to clutch whereas we have to step on it further and harder as our clutches are a bit stiffer too.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:40 AM
In response to my own post, we took everything apart and put it back together (minus the spring of course) and the noise is gone. I only drove home, but she feels different already. The only thing I picked up on thus far is that the pedal is firmer. I will keep driving and posting.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:50 PM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
G35 Sport Sedan 6MT
Jexin, good advice on learning the sweet spot. I'd also practice the biting point, by releasing the clutch slowly and giving it no gas. You can actually get a relatively smooth start with a gradual release, and you will begin to learn how the bite point works, how much gas you need, and how quick you can release the clutch. Don't feel silly about stalling the car. There's this negative stigma about stalling, but I'd rather stall out than excessively slip the clutch any day, as excessive slipping is hurting the clutch. Keep practicing, don't over think it, and eventually it will be like riding a bike. I had a heck of a time when I was starting out, but I didn't have my own car to practice on so it seemed to take forever.

Sprix, I haven't found the G to be the easiest clutch out there, but my 92 Nissan Maxima has a pretty grabby clutch, and takes as much finess to get a smooth start, it just has a lighter clutch, granted it's one of the lightest clutches I've ever driven. The 88 Honda Prelude I learned to drive manual on was about as grabby.

Last edited by Creedence85; 09-27-2011 at 07:56 PM.