The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Are G and Z steering racks interchangeable?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 02:57 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
OK cool. I think I might be developing an issue with my rack as well. I noticed a grease leak, look at the left side of the rack in the picture just to the right of the tie rod, you'll see the leak around the bolt. Stopped by our local dealer today to see if maybe a gasket or washer might have worn out I could replace and they don't sell the rack parts separately, just the whole assembly.

Show more

Old 10-09-2011, 01:54 AM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
The FSM is kind of vague about the adjusting screw. On PS-18, Disassembly it shows "Caution - Do not turn adjusting screw more than twice. - Replace steering gear assembly when adjusting screw is removed or more than twice."

Not exactly sure if they mean more than two full 360 degree turns of the screw? I don't see how that would change anything, but they do refer to the adjusting screw height as well. Are you sure the leak is from the screw and not the rubber boot connection?

My car's feel and turning ability improved while being less harsh over bumps and I barely feel cracks like I did before. The wheels feel connected to each other and I think I my alignments from now on will stay. I also noticed that the noise is gone when turning into parking spaces. Sounded like it was a tire issue, but overall the car is a lot smoother and more quiet.

Still have vibration through my gas pedal though...maybe with the steering rack replaced I can pin-point that problem..

Old 10-09-2011, 02:07 AM
If you ever do disconnect the steering rack, only remove the bolt from the bottom half of the lower joint that connects to the steering gear. Having the lower joint already on the steering column makes re-installation much easier. Remember to tie the steering wheel straight once the wheels are raised off the ground. You will need to align the steering column correctly by following the instructions in the FSM. With two people it's pretty easy; tap the steering rack with a hammer to slide into the snug lower joint teeth.

The following users liked this post:
gambit2083 (07-15-2014)
Old 10-09-2011, 04:56 AM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
OK cool. I think I might be developing an issue with my rack as well. I noticed a grease leak, look at the left side of the rack in the picture just to the right of the tie rod, you'll see the leak around the bolt. Stopped by our local dealer today to see if maybe a gasket or washer might have worn out I could replace and they don't sell the rack parts separately, just the whole assembly.

Show more
My steering rack's also leaking a little on the passenger side, a little damp on the rubber boot. I was told it's not too bad for now but it'll need to be replaced if it starts dripping oil. As for now I'm just checking my power steering fluid regularly.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:04 AM
Originally Posted by AARONHL
The FSM is kind of vague about the adjusting screw. On PS-18, Disassembly it shows "Caution - Do not turn adjusting screw more than twice. - Replace steering gear assembly when adjusting screw is removed or more than twice."

Not exactly sure if they mean more than two full 360 degree turns of the screw? I don't see how that would change anything, but they do refer to the adjusting screw height as well. Are you sure the leak is from the screw and not the rubber boot connection?

My car's feel and turning ability improved while being less harsh over bumps and I barely feel cracks like I did before. The wheels feel connected to each other and I think I my alignments from now on will stay. I also noticed that the noise is gone when turning into parking spaces. Sounded like it was a tire issue, but overall the car is a lot smoother and more quiet.

Still have vibration through my gas pedal though...maybe with the steering rack replaced I can pin-point that problem..
Glad you're getting closer to get the problems solved.... hope you find the solution to the vibrating pedal soon.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:15 AM

I'll look at my Haynes manual and see it it has more info. The leak is definitely not from the boot, it's from under the screw and it's grease.

Originally Posted by ray1370
My steering rack's also leaking a little on the passenger side, a little damp on the rubber boot. I was told it's not too bad for now but it'll need to be replaced if it starts dripping oil. As for now I'm just checking my power steering fluid regularly.
My leak is not PS fluid, it's grease.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:46 PM
I'm wondering if the Haynes Manual will tell if you can re-grease the rack while still on the car, if it's a good idea, or if they would advise against it? Does it list any maintenance at all for the rack?

Once you take the rubber boot off you can see into the greased steering gear. It's like the grease is packed into the rack itself.

Have either one of you smacked a curb before? I think that's what messed my rack up.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:48 PM
It really is like a completely different car with the new rack...makes shifting gears easier because the car still tracks while between gears.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:15 PM
I'm wondering if the Haynes Manual will tell if you can re-grease the rack while still on the car, if it's a good idea, or if they would advise against it? Does it list any maintenance at all for the rack?

Once you take the rubber boot off you can see into the greased steering gear. It's like the grease is packed into the rack itself.

Have either one of you smacked a curb before? I think that's what messed my rack up.
I didn't hit any curb before, I was just thinking after 90k miles it's not unusual to have some seals/rubber boots broken or grease leaking. From the look of it I can't tell if it's grease or power steering fluid; if the power steering fluid don't get lower over time then I'll know it's grease.

Exactly how I felt after I change my power steering fluid, The steering and front suspension feel solid and smooth, so I was suggesting it. Of course if I really want to make my steering feel like new again I'll have to replace my steering rack eventually. I'm glad you got the this one fixed.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:10 PM

The Haynes manual just talks about removal and installation of the rack, not any maintenance. Makes sense that the rack is packed with grease, that's what is very slowly leaking from behind the nut on my car.

Never smacked a curb either.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:32 AM
I find is extremely easy to down shift into a turn with the different rack. Something was really messed up with the other one...now every time I drive I think I should have swapped it a long time ago. I'm glad I changed the whole rack and unsure if changing the fluid by itself would have completely solved the problem.

Do you notice a continuous amount of grease coming from the screw? I would look into rebuilding the power steering rack, but might be cheaper to buy a remanufactured part or junkyard. It would probably be a $2000 job at the dealer and isn't too bad of a job at home.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:39 AM

I just found the leak last week. It wasn't a lot, but enough to concern me. I cleaned it up Friday so we'll see how much comes back and how fast. If it's not much, I'll put this on my "need to look at it down the road" repair list.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:59 PM
Alright, let us know how it goes...

Old 10-11-2011, 05:39 AM

I'll check it in a couple of weeks and let you know.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:31 PM
***UPDATE***

The steering rack I just put in my car two months ago is leaking from both boots as well as the adjusting nut. I am furious right now and may never buy another car part from a junkyard. It had to be broken before I bought it, I'm going to call them DEMANDING a refund...Looks like I am going to buy an eBay steering rack and re-install that one...THAT'S GOING TO BE FUN

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Are G and Z steering racks interchangeable?