The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

What's the dumbest thing you've ever done while DIY??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2011 | 04:47 PM
Installing a mishimoto radiator on my sedan...got the old one out and the new one legit would not fit at all in any way shape or form. so i used a saws-all and cut the two clips off from the bottom of the mishimoto thinking this would definitely make it fit. what do you know?!?! still wouldn't fit, couldn't return it. six months later still sitting in my garage never been used once.

i since totalled that g sedan and got another '05 OBx sedan like the first just way better condition. maybe i'll try to put it in next weekend...

and i tried to use the 3m headlight kit to clean my fogged lens. i did the inside of the lense as well as out, and i took my time and did everything correctly (so i thought) only to have the lens more phuckd up afterwards...that was on the old sedan though. my new sedan's lights are perfect!

Old 10-17-2011 | 11:39 AM
Working on my Protege5 a while back I used my floor jack to lift the car so that i could remove the jack stand. I took the jackstand out from underneath the vehicle and moved it nearby where I was sitting. I proceeded to lower the car and then noticed that i had placed the stand beneath my driver's door (which was open because I was playing music). The door has never closed the same ever since...

Luckily the Protege5 is my beater now and so I couldn't care less.

Last edited by Ejoe19; 10-17-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old 10-17-2011 | 01:09 PM
I was changing my oil the other day and one of the girls that lives down the hall from me came over as she saw the car on jack stands n' such.

She's pretty cute granted she has a boyfriend, but still pretty cute regardless.

Anyway, she came over and started asking me what I was doing, asking questions about the car, etc.

So I was kind of getting all cocky by telling her things like "Yeah... it's so low, I can't even go to some places because the entrances are too steep." Or "These wheels are pretty legit and I'm the only person with a set of them in this town (that is actually fact btw)."

So anyway, while I was talking all that nonsense I began to undo the drain plug, and while looking at her and talking to her, pulled the drain plug only to realize that my catch pan was way out of reach.

I'm sure you all can figure out how the rest of the story goes.

Old 10-18-2011 | 06:43 PM
Haven't done too much mods/DIY, but after painting my headlights I didn't put them back together good enough and they let water in...

Gonna re-do the whole thing in 2 weeks time and get that rubber butyl (used silicone before).

Old 02-05-2012 | 07:41 PM
? = 2B || !2B
Premier Member
Originally Posted by SxExCx
Mine happened last night. I had to move the G to get access to my chopper on the other side of the garage. The top end of the G's motor is torn down to do some mods so I just needed to put the car into neutral so I could roll it back a few feet. The battery was dead from sitting so long so I had to jump it. I got some juice to the battery and turned the key to the accessory position which allows you to shift out of park. I didnt realize that the fuel pump turns on with the accessory position of the key. Well, the fuel lines were disconnected so the engine bay got showered in gas. FML
LOL. That sounds just like something I would have done!

Originally Posted by InfinitGman
I was changing my oil the other day and one of the girls that lives down the hall from me came over as she saw the car on jack stands n' such.

She's pretty cute granted she has a boyfriend, but still pretty cute regardless.

Anyway, she came over and started asking me what I was doing, asking questions about the car, etc.

So I was kind of getting all cocky by telling her things like "Yeah... it's so low, I can't even go to some places because the entrances are too steep." Or "These wheels are pretty legit and I'm the only person with a set of them in this town (that is actually fact btw)."

So anyway, while I was talking all that nonsense I began to undo the drain plug, and while looking at her and talking to her, pulled the drain plug only to realize that my catch pan was way out of reach.

I'm sure you all can figure out how the rest of the story goes.
^ That's classic.

Ok, so here's mine: https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...-teh-dumb.html

Old 02-05-2012 | 08:10 PM
Let black paint soak in on my white paint because I wasnt paying attention. FML

Old 02-07-2012 | 10:36 AM
years back, my old '97 maxima. Was replacing the alternator, had to move some stuff around to get it out, I disconnected an AC intake line (not sure what I was thinking, young and dumb I guess!) and I took a large blast of Freon straight to the FACE. it scared the **** out of me, luckily I didn't get sick or anything

Old 02-07-2012 | 11:00 AM
? = 2B || !2B
Premier Member
^dang, that could have been a nasty frostbite!

Old 02-07-2012 | 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by redpearl99
I got my wee wee stuck in the radiator fans. But it was my fault, I knew I should have worn cloths that day
LOL that is too funny! My worst probably isnt that bad, but its also due to the lack of difficult DIYS done by myself. The dummest was probably trying to install my new shift boot. Took me atleast 4 days and could not figure out how to make it work. Gave up and finally just installed it and realized I was making it way too difficult. Also one stupid accident I had was dropping a screw from my JDM Harness Cover somewhere in my engine bay... Or driveway now. Still have not found it!

Old 02-07-2012 | 03:54 PM
I changed the timing belt on another car I owned and stripped the threads on the bolt that holds the crank pulley. I found another bolt in my garage that I was able to tighten but I was always wondering if that pulley was going to come loose. Well, that car was totalled, so I guess we'll never find out!

Old 05-24-2012 | 12:33 AM
undoing the caliper bolt on a old Honda Civic. Stupid me was turning the wrong way and I was hammering the wrench. Needless to say, The bolt broke inside the caliper thread. What a douche.. Lesson learned, when facing a bolt, loose is counter clockwise!

Old 05-24-2012 | 01:57 AM
When I had a civic with a type R swap. I was installing a spoon rad fan switch and we forgot to put the rad cap back on while finishing. I drove around for a day and I kept smelling this sweet smell, so I popped my hood and noticed my whole engine bay was showered with antifreeze and smelt like ****.

Old 05-27-2012 | 07:29 AM
Once upon a time, I had a completely rusted out S13 as a winter beater. Since I had no garage, we just worked in the yard year-round. It was January in Cleveland, and I was changing the oil. The oil cap didn't want to budge, so my genius idea was to remove it with vise-grips. Yeah, it broke in half...

Old 05-27-2012 | 08:48 AM
Originally Posted by G35 Dream
D@mn Glex that could have been nasty. I was replacing the bulbs in my projectors and decided to take the front bumper off. Didnt put painters tape on the fenders...You can imagine what happened, but thank god for the clear bra. Then while debadging my car I accidentally rubbed through the paint in my trunk.
did the same thing when i debadged.