The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

One hell of a road trip...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 11:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One hell of a road trip...

Made it to Houston today, after 3 days of what you could call a living hell experience. I was hired by a company which requires me to complete 6 months of training in Houston, TX. I had to take my car with me, since i will need it to get around the town during those 6 months.
Anyhow, my best friend and I headed from Akron, OH on thursday planning to make it down to Houston by Friday. Thursday night, about an hour away from Nashville I was driving down 65 S next to a semi when a piece of tire from another semi truck showed up in front of me... With no room to avoid the debris, going about 80 i had to run over it and it ended up doing more damage than i ever thought a piece of tire could..

My g has a nismo front, not lowered or anything, and as a result of the collision the following things happened:
- front bumper is missing most of the paint, scratched up to hell, and who knows if it can be repainted or fixed
- grille is broken in 5 places
- both inner fenders flew off, together with the plastic which goes directly under the engine
- one of the holders for my radiator broke, and that caused the plastic shrud around the fans to break as well
- windshield washer fluid tank is broken into pieces
- bumper corner lights are gone
- looks like i am going to have to replace the radiator support plastic

Due to the fact that I needed to make it down to Houston by Sunday, i decided not to allow a dealership to take a week or more in fixing my car, so i found an used fan set from a junk yard nearby, changed it in the parking lot without any of my tools, which allowed me to continue, even tho i was without any plastics under the bumper and fenders, no windshield washer fluids, and the whole thing barely hanging on.
We stayed that night in Nashville, then figured we might as well make a trip out of it so we stopped in New Orleans last night, and made it to Houston today.

My insurance would cover the costs of fixing this, but my rate will jump up significantly if i do, and I am leaning towards fixing the car myself, and finding either a new bumper or someone to try and fix mine..

I do have to admit one thing, the G stood strong and even after all of the crap which happened it continued to run good, i was still getting above 26 mpg on highway, and it has def earned my respect!

Old 11-04-2011, 07:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good info to know. I plan to do a road trip from Chicago to Los Angeles next summer. Just wondering what an adventure that might be. Sorry about your G and that road debris, hope you get her all fixed up and back to normal.

The following users liked this post:
mali_mG (11-06-2011)
Old 11-04-2011, 08:09 PM
Location: a charming town in Connecticut first settled in the 1600s
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Man that sucks. Kudos for hacking it back together in the parking lot.

I had a similar experience in my old Maxima... had no choice but to run over a huge chunk of blown-out semi tire... but i was able to slow down from 75 to about 60 which minimized the damage somewhat. Wrecked my entire exhaust (flex pipe ripped apart, three hangers snapped, the muffler cracked right off) and the alignment was thrown out of whack. Fun times.

mali_mG (11-06-2011)
Old 11-04-2011, 08:59 PM
Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
Sorry to hear man. Hope it gets fixed up soon and at a good price.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That sucks, way to persevere!

mali_mG (11-06-2011)
Old 11-05-2011, 07:21 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
OP if you want a good read about a great road trip poke through this thread: https://g35driver.com/forums/lounge-...otos-vids.html

And you don't have to be on a road trip for crap like that to happen. I hit a 1.5' square piece of tire on the freeway here last year going 60 in bumper to buimper traffic and among other damage had this happen to my aluminum undertray, as much as it sucked I shudder to think what kind of damage might have been caused in the engine bay if I had the stock UT on there:

Old 11-05-2011, 09:23 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I see junk in the road daily & avoid things weekly. I have hit rocks, tire caps, tire shards etc five or six times in the last five years. It's all you can do when the choice is hit it or the wall or another car.

I really think there need to be better laws to keep semis with properly maintained tires because 90% of the things I see here (Phoenix) are semi tire shards.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:45 AM
Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts
Wow man, hope you get back to 100% soon.

I can't stand it on the freeway when there are cars around me. There are too many people out there that do not care about their cars.

Caring about your car leads to caring about your self (safety wise). That's my argument anyways.

mali_mG (11-06-2011)
Old 11-06-2011, 01:36 AM
Thanks guys, its good te see that im not the only person out there that this crap happened to... I just wish i was back home and not here in Houston where i dont have a garage or my tools to be able to get her fixed up, but i will make do! Seems that there are quite a few junk yards and i have seen a lot of Gs around, so im hoping to have an easy time tracking down the parts i need!

Old 11-06-2011, 01:39 AM
Originally Posted by FunLovinG
Man that sucks. Kudos for hacking it back together in the parking lot.

I had a similar experience in my old Maxima... had no choice but to run over a huge chunk of blown-out semi tire... but i was able to slow down from 75 to about 60 which minimized the damage somewhat. Wrecked my entire exhaust (flex pipe ripped apart, three hangers snapped, the muffler cracked right off) and the alignment was thrown out of whack. Fun times.
I need to get my g up and check out the rest of the bottom, I have not inspected the exhaust or anything else, but i am going to look around for a shop that can lift the car for me... Hopefully nothing more is damaged....

Old 11-06-2011, 06:32 PM
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
My girfriend ran over a box of plastic ponchos that came off a truck...one of them melted on the y pipe, the other one wrapped around the driveshaft. I still smell it sometimes after running the car hard.