G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Car to replace the G?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 02:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Car to replace the G?

Hey guys,

I'm curious as to what people think of eventually replacing their G35 with? What are some newer cars that people feel capture the same experience as the G? I love the sound, clean, smooth styling, and feel of my G35 sedan, but its becoming tougher and tougher to find newer cars that seem to have such a driving experience from the exhaust note/manual option/RWD, and look as good as the G35 with the trend towards sharper design styling.

For cars that offer MTs, the obvious choice might be a newer G37/Q60/370z. I'm curious what people with experience driving other brands think as well. Talking similar price range obviously.

What have you guys (happily) replaced your first-gen G with?

IVYG35

Last edited by IvyG35; 08-08-2019 at 03:03 PM.
Old 08-08-2019, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Tesla Model S is on my bucket list

Old 08-08-2019, 11:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
As much as I enjoy my G, a Porsche Cayman will likely eventually replace it. I enjoy slower cars that corner better. Motorcycling made me fall in love with cornering.

The G is such a bargain fun car though.

Old 08-09-2019, 12:14 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,459 Likes on 2,152 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
I've been seriously toying with the idea of getting a Civic type R. Got to drive one last weekend and I hate to admit this but it was probably the best balanced FWD vehicle I've ever driven and I pushed it pretty hard. Understeer was VERY minimal (for a FWD) the suspension was VERY comfortable and not springy at all, it sounded amazing and the powerband was damned near perfect, torque came on very early and it pulled hard to redline. Interior was a perfect fit, Honda really nailed it, plus being a hatchback you can haul practically anything. I still amaze myself sometimes with the sheer amount of **** I can fit inside my Focus. Ohh you need to pick up 4 bags of water softener salt, 2 bags of dog food, 2 bags of fertilizer, all the groceries for the week, and 2 passengers? No problem.

Obviously this doesn't fit your RWD class vehicle but I think it's worth a very serious look.

Old 08-09-2019, 03:32 AM
Received 372 Likes on 339 Posts
Lexus RC

Old 08-09-2019, 08:20 AM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
As much as I enjoy my G, a Porsche Cayman will likely eventually replace it. I enjoy slower cars that corner better. Motorcycling made me fall in love with cornering.

Cayman GT4 has got to be absolute car goals for me.

Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
I've been seriously toying with the idea of getting a Civic type R. Got to drive one last weekend and I hate to admit this but it was probably the best balanced FWD vehicle I've ever driven and I pushed it pretty hard. Understeer was VERY minimal (for a FWD) the suspension was VERY comfortable and not springy at all, it sounded amazing and the powerband was damned near perfect, torque came on very early and it pulled hard to redline. Interior was a perfect fit, Honda really nailed it, plus being a hatchback you can haul practically anything. I still amaze myself sometimes with the sheer amount of **** I can fit inside my Focus. Ohh you need to pick up 4 bags of water softener salt, 2 bags of dog food, 2 bags of fertilizer, all the groceries for the week, and 2 passengers? No problem.

Obviously this doesn't fit your RWD class vehicle but I think it's worth a very serious look.
Honestly If the type R was in the SI body kit, it'd look so much better to me. Have you driven a Golf R/ Focus RS too? I like the design of the Golf a lot, but the Civic type R has such good reviews. I'd like to get to drive one at some point.. maybe that will help me overlook the styling... lol

Originally Posted by Scorpi0
Lexus RC
These look amazing! you own one now?

Old 08-09-2019, 09:59 AM
Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts
One owner 2004 G35 Coupe 6MT
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer

That's my plan as well, Cayman or 911, possibly a Corvette. It's too bad the Q60 RS400 isn't available with a manual, because I probably would have replaced my G with one when they first came out.

Old 08-09-2019, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by MikeG35Coupe
It's too bad the Q60 RS400 isn't available with a manual, because I probably would have replaced my G with one when they first came out.
wow, a fellow Rhode Islander... a rare find

Red Sport 400 would be a clear top choice for me as well if it came in a manual. Still will consider one anyway when my Gs time is up.

Old 08-09-2019, 12:43 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
I haven't driven the Golf-R but I have a pretty significant amount of time behind two Focus RS's, couple of friends have them but I would stay away honestly. Too many little quirks and flaws and they've both been a maintenance nightmare of check engine lights and random parts failure in 100% stock form. I'm particularly disgusted with how the interior has held together and this is also one of my main complaints on my Mk3 focus, they didn't fix ANY of the issues on the Mk4 which is sad, I know it was mostly a cosmetic revision of the exterior but they should have made interior improvements so things like the e-brake handle cover don't pop off for no apparent reason.

Old 08-09-2019, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
I still amaze myself sometimes with the sheer amount of **** I can fit inside my Focus. Ohh you need to pick up 4 bags of water softener salt, 2 bags of dog food, 2 bags of fertilizer, all the groceries for the week, and 2 passengers? No problem.
I too have a Focus with a little more storage capacity !

Attached Thumbnails Car to replace the G?-photo376.jpg   Car to replace the G?-photo915.jpg  
Old 08-09-2019, 04:00 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
My only experience with the Transit was an incredibly abused service van that smelled like liquor and AXE body spray. It was a decent vehicle even though it's GVWR was seriously overloaded and the smell was nauseating.

No surprised they fired the previous driver and put in a short call for another electrician lol.

Old 08-09-2019, 05:18 PM
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
G coupe
Originally Posted by Scorpi0
Lexus RC
Beautiful cars. Leased one for a couple of years when they were released here. F sport, hybrid in azure blue. Best car I’ve had

Old 08-09-2019, 05:20 PM
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
G coupe
The following users liked this post:
Scorpi0 (08-10-2019)
Old 08-09-2019, 05:31 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Q50S, nice car, but it's not a G35 so I kept that too. The Q is nicer/newer but it just doesn't drive as well as my old G35 sedan does. The run flat tires were horrible, after getting rid of them and an alignment, it's better, but it still "hunts" and won't track as straight as my old sedan. I'm done with Infiniti.

Old 08-10-2019, 11:49 AM
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
I've been toying with the idea of a C6Z but have decided that I'll probably wait till I graduate for that, even though I could grind all summer to afford one it's probably a better idea to put the money towards school. My buddy has a convertible 335i and boy does that thing scoot... if only it wasn't a Beemer. The Honda type R is too rice for me (sorry) and I could never spend that kinda coin on a fwd civic

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car to replace the G?