The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

What did you do to the G today?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-17-2020, 05:30 AM
Received 61 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by cswlightning
Looking good! Don't change a thing.

Swapped input and axle flanges from my 150k 3.5 diff to a 50k 3.69 VLSD out of an auto sedan. Had to grind material from the 6mt flange and the 3.69's input shaft but all and all pretty straightforward, worth the $300 I saved over buying the correct diff in the first place.

Also ran into the first bolt my little $100 Chinese 1/2 brushless impact couldn't rip out was the differential ear bolts. Suspension bolts, lug/spacer nuts, differential pinion nut, no problems. Very satisfied with Enarco branded product.

did u have vdc slip issue after swapping the diff to your G.... my slip issue getting better but it still act up, i bet could be the tires now

btw, my abs , vdc off and slip all come on today, its gonna be fun to figure the problem again while i have a few job interview coming up..... but the lights gone once i shut it off and restart

Old 06-17-2020, 05:00 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
base coupe 2 door 3.5L 3498cc V6 with a few small mods
Originally Posted by Scorpi0
Everyone likes the 2006/2007 OEM projector headlights but they can be pricy. I think they look a little outdated.

Other popular options are Spec-D headlights (These are nice!).
Or the Anzo headlights in either a black finish or chrome. U have two options. I have the chrome version on my car.
I got these ones they look a little like the Anzo lights but are a little more in line with my budget, Thanks Scorpi0

Old 06-21-2020, 12:15 AM
Received 110 Likes on 72 Posts
G35 Coupe
Originally Posted by 06_REV_G
bro, that looks awesome!!! Can’t wait to see it on the G. How much to get one made up?
Thanks! I'm close to getting it on the G. The bottom half is getting infused tomorrow. I'll post it here when its done or you can follow along on my instagram. I don't really want to say how much to get one made up, but the short answer is it's a good bit more than the average stuff. There is ZERO fiberglass in this thing, only a bit of Soric LRC core material for strength in certain spots, and I'm using MTI membrane infusion products to get a perfect resin to carbon ratio. I'm taking no shortcuts with this splitter. The typical stuff you buy from places like VIS or wherever is mostly fiberglass with like 1 layer of cosmetic carbon. This is ALL entirely carbon.

I'm fairly confident that short of motorsport level stuff, no one is making or has made anything remotely this high end in terms of materials of construction for the G.

Old 06-22-2020, 09:45 AM
Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts
Well damn! Any thoughts on making CF doors for the G35, 37? Or a carbon fiber sunroof delete?
Clearly you've got the skills and there's definitely a market there depending on the price.

Yinster, I finished swapping in the 3.69 diff on Friday after I got a chance to test the pinion preload with a dial torque wrench (crushed the washer up to 10/in*lb which should be fine for used bearings).
Reused the original ABS sensors. No warning lights as expected.

Also took her out to the mountains to give her a little exercise. 3.69 diff definitely makes it easier to light up the tires from a stop, and give the car a little more push on the highway without downshifting. RPMs are still around 3000 at 80 mph. Definitely makes it a bit more fun to drive, not sure if it's any faster. I don't notice any difference granny driving around but when bangin' gears it seems happier to scream all the way to redline.

Last edited by cswlightning; 06-22-2020 at 09:57 AM.
Old 06-22-2020, 11:56 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
06 g35
Originally Posted by Row2k
Thanks! I'm close to getting it on the G. The bottom half is getting infused tomorrow. I'll post it here when its done or you can follow along on my instagram. I don't really want to say how much to get one made up, but the short answer is it's a good bit more than the average stuff. There is ZERO fiberglass in this thing, only a bit of Soric LRC core material for strength in certain spots, and I'm using MTI membrane infusion products to get a perfect resin to carbon ratio. I'm taking no shortcuts with this splitter. The typical stuff you buy from places like VIS or wherever is mostly fiberglass with like 1 layer of cosmetic carbon. This is ALL entirely carbon.

I'm fairly confident that short of motorsport level stuff, no one is making or has made anything remotely this high end in terms of materials of construction for the G.

what’s the IG name?

Old 06-22-2020, 06:43 PM
Well damn! Any thoughts on making CF doors for the G35, 37? Or a carbon fiber sunroof delete?
Clearly you've got the skills and there's definitely a market there depending on the price.

Yinster, I finished swapping in the 3.69 diff on Friday after I got a chance to test the pinion preload with a dial torque wrench (crushed the washer up to 10/in*lb which should be fine for used bearings).
Reused the original ABS sensors. No warning lights as expected.

Also took her out to the mountains to give her a little exercise. 3.69 diff definitely makes it easier to light up the tires from a stop, and give the car a little more push on the highway without downshifting. RPMs are still around 3000 at 80 mph. Definitely makes it a bit more fun to drive, not sure if it's any faster. I don't notice any difference granny driving around but when bangin' gears it seems happier to scream all the way to redline.
hmm, my slip issue is still there, it make me wonder am i tighten it too much when i swap my flange.... 3.69 is worth it for sure

Old 06-23-2020, 10:31 AM
Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts
Tighten it too much, the diff overheats from the added friction, fries the pinion bearings, and locks up.
Too little, the bearing preload will loosen up over time and then you've got diff whine especially on deceleration (like my old diff)
Will not effect the traction control system either way at least until it blows up

First thing is I'd make sure you didn't get metal shavings or crap on the diff wheel speed sensors during the swap. Then I'd brake clean the actual tone rings on the diff ears to get any grease or oils off. Next I'd check to see they actually work, linked below. You may have accidentally squished one against the subframe when dropping the diff, or pulled on the wires too much and broken one internally.
https://itstillruns.com/test-wheel-s...r-7617532.html

Old 06-23-2020, 04:14 PM
Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts
One owner 2004 G35 Coupe 6MT
what’s the IG name?
The little icon visible on the desktop site says it's "g35_clubsport".

IMO Row2k's work deserves its own thread.

Old 06-23-2020, 05:14 PM
Tighten it too much, the diff overheats from the added friction, fries the pinion bearings, and locks up.
Too little, the bearing preload will loosen up over time and then you've got diff whine especially on deceleration (like my old diff)
Will not effect the traction control system either way at least until it blows up

First thing is I'd make sure you didn't get metal shavings or crap on the diff wheel speed sensors during the swap. Then I'd brake clean the actual tone rings on the diff ears to get any grease or oils off. Next I'd check to see they actually work, linked below. You may have accidentally squished one against the subframe when dropping the diff, or pulled on the wires too much and broken one internally.
https://itstillruns.com/test-wheel-s...r-7617532.html
hmm, i will go ahead take a look, i have already cleaned the sensors.....
i guess i have to do the wheel sensor wire check soon, thanks, but so far i just drive without vdc and it act fine lol

Old 06-23-2020, 05:16 PM
I put my new headlights on, they look pretty good.

Old 06-23-2020, 06:47 PM
Received 376 Likes on 341 Posts
Originally Posted by owen'sg35
I put my new headlights on, they look pretty good.
Lets see em!

Old 06-23-2020, 06:49 PM
Received 376 Likes on 341 Posts
I installed an O2 sensor simulator on both cat sensors because I was gettin a P0430 code. The P0430 is gona but I have like 5 more codes now lmao.

Gotta start playin around with different resistors now 😒

Old 06-23-2020, 10:24 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,463 Likes on 2,155 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
I spent the first half of my day running a Shrinkfast heat gun boat wrapping some gear for highway travel on a flatbed trailer, the building was 92°F inside, couldn't handle it anymore and when driving home I turned on the AC for the first time in two years.

AC worked perfectly.

Old 06-24-2020, 12:48 AM
Received 110 Likes on 72 Posts
G35 Coupe
I really want to make a CF roof for the G35 coupe, but I don't think my skill level is there yet as proven to me this weekend. The infusion of the bottom shell of the splitter went rather ....embarrassingly.

what’s the IG name?
g35_clubsport

Originally Posted by MikeG35Coupe
The little icon visible on the desktop site says it's "g35_clubsport".

IMO Row2k's work deserves its own thread.
I'lll make one eventually. Certainly for the splitter build thread showing both the wins and fails as there were quite a few (turns out this composite stuff is kinda hard).

I did get the infusion done on the bottom shell on Sunday, but honestly not happy with it. I made a number of dumb mistakes (mis-weighed the resin to hardener so it kicked too soon, didn't pre-heat the mold, plus other rather embarrassing mistakes which lead to a horrible infusion). So for all the prep and time spent on laying everything up, the bottom turned out like shyte. It's fixable and usable, but if it wasn't under the car I would have scrapped it. Big bummer on such a large part with so much $$$ in raw materials alone, but oh well, good learning experience.

So the bottom shell turned out to be a fail in my book, although still usable after I fix some spots. You can see some channels that formed in the very center around the 3 center mounting holes when I had to release vacuum (because I made more dumb mistakes and was desperately attempting to fix them). Sharp learning curve with this stuff.

Old 06-24-2020, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by Scorpi0
Lets see em!
here they are

The following users liked this post:
Jeffk1975 (07-04-2020)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: What did you do to the G today?