The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

What did you do to the G today?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-12-2020, 11:44 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,468 Likes on 2,160 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Time for a Mishimoto radiator upgrade!

Old 03-13-2020, 01:39 PM
Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts
1900 mile Canadian road trip up to the Cabot Trail in Nova Scotia. Took the G despite poly engine/trans mounts because I couldn't imagine driving these empty twisty mountain passes in her Crosstrek... the G did great performance wise but the trip made me want to put the stock rubber trans mount back in.... I was more annoyed with it than the GF lol.

The day after I got home, I was driving like an idiot redlining 5th gear and shifting a bit too aggressively for my shot 6th gear synchros... broke a shifter fork or something in that assembly, had to limp home stuck in 5th.

Time to rebuild my CD008 with a new shift fork and 5/6 synchros.... Synchros on gears 1-4 are still perfect so I don't see the need to pick up a CD009 with unknown history, unless there's something else in the upgrade I don't know about. Anybody done this before?

Old 03-13-2020, 04:26 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
I would just pick up a used CD009/CD00A with low miles and rebuild it IF IT NEEDS IT. Personally I wouldn't drop a dime into rebuilding any of the earlier transmissions.

I've seen quite a few CD00A going for under $700 with around 30k miles on them around my tri-state area. I would have gone that route if there had been any available when I bought a new CD00A about two years ago. It's quite a bit more popular now.

Old 03-13-2020, 05:12 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
G35 Sport Sedan 5AT
Took her out for lunch today. Thought she was looking mighty fine from where I sat

Old 03-14-2020, 08:39 PM
Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts
Always loved the way the HR sedans look

Originally Posted by cleric670
I would just pick up a used CD009/CD00A with low miles and rebuild it IF IT NEEDS IT. Personally I wouldn't drop a dime into rebuilding any of the earlier transmissions.

I've seen quite a few CD00A going for under $700 with around 30k miles on them around my tri-state area. I would have gone that route if there had been any available when I bought a new CD00A about two years ago. It's quite a bit more popular now.
Why is that? My impression was that the earlier models just have poor synchros, but are otherwise the same gearbox. My gearbox's 1-4 synchros shift perfectly fine, I know its fluid change history, no whines, and assuming I need a new 5/6 synchro and a shift fork that about $130 in parts to fix it. I'm still a broke college student.
Am I missing something here? Also Cleric I can't seem to PM you, your profile says BANNED!! above where you would normally send a PM.

Last edited by cswlightning; 03-14-2020 at 08:47 PM.
Old 03-14-2020, 11:01 PM
Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
Wrapped both fenders and passenger door. First time working with vinyl. Used 3m flip ghost pearl. Worked for 12 hours straight. I'm honestly thinking about not even doing it anymore lol

The following users liked this post:
cleric670 (03-14-2020)
Old 03-15-2020, 05:45 AM
Received 394 Likes on 358 Posts
Originally Posted by FreshLikeAG
Wrapped both fenders and passenger door. First time working with vinyl. Used 3m flip ghost pearl. Worked for 12 hours straight. I'm honestly thinking about not even doing it anymore lol
I like that color! But damn...12 hours just for that??

I wrapped my entire car over a period of about 2 months...just doing a panel here and there whenever I had some spare time. It is a bitch tho! But it helps bigtime if u have someone else to help u with it.

PS: Try wrapping a Kuruma bumper....what a PITA!

Old 03-15-2020, 10:55 AM
Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Scorpi0
I like that color! But damn...12 hours just for that??

I wrapped my entire car over a period of about 2 months...just doing a panel here and there whenever I had some spare time. It is a bitch tho! But it helps bigtime if u have someone else to help u with it.

PS: Try wrapping a Kuruma bumper....what a PITA!
I have the kurma bumper. Saving that for last. Probably just gonna paint the vents black to make it easy(ier). I think the front end of the car is the hardest because the panels have almost no gap. I took the bumper off. To get the door handle off had to remove the glass and the inside panel was COVERED in dynamat. Couldn't see a single bolt. Dropped the sideskirts a little. The vinyl peeled the clearcoat off the headlight so had to sand and clear again.
Did you do the kurma bumper in one piece? How bout the trunk? How many feet of material did you use?

Old 03-15-2020, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by FreshLikeAG
I have the kurma bumper. Saving that for last. Probably just gonna paint the vents black to make it easy(ier). I think the front end of the car is the hardest because the panels have almost no gap. I took the bumper off. To get the door handle off had to remove the glass and the inside panel was COVERED in dynamat. Couldn't see a single bolt. Dropped the sideskirts a little. The vinyl peeled the clearcoat off the headlight so had to sand and clear again.
Did you do the kurma bumper in one piece? How bout the trunk? How many feet of material did you use?
I had to remove the bolts for my rear bumper so I could pull it out a little bit in order to wrap the material over the edges. Same thing with the sideskirt and Kuruma bumper. I was trying to wrap the Kuruma in one piece but those holes are deep and the vinyl eventually tore as I tried to stretch it so much. So I ended up doing some separate inlays for the deep holes.

Not exactly sure how much vinyl I used because I ran out and bought some more. Then messed up and had to buy some more again haha. Total cost was about 500-600 bucks though.

Old 03-16-2020, 03:33 PM
Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts
Ending to getting my xxr wheels back from my friend after I sold them to him 2 years ago. He didn't take very good care of them (check the pics). I needed wheels to clear my akebonos and these will do great. Cleaned them up and painted them and finished them up with 4 coats of 2k clear.

Also I'll never use 1k clear again after spraying 2k difference is insane.

Old 03-16-2020, 05:39 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Hard to go from a GMC pickup that can run the sidewalk at 35mph to a G35 that can barely clear a speedbump

Old 03-18-2020, 08:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G35 Sport/Premium Package 5AT
Yesterday I sold my G35. Saturday I fly out to Portland to bring back an 08 350Z nismo (32k miles)
Sorry guys but it's been nice knowing ya'

Thanks for all the helpful advice about the G but in the end I just couldn't take it anymore the 5AT in this car blows super laggy didn't want to spend for Transgo kit to get marginal results and they don't offer 06/07 coupes in IP/Black Interior. Major dealbreaker for me because the wheat interior looks like absolute poop no offense I liked it at first but not anymore and I'd rather have a more track-ready car than a luxury car when I never use back seats. Rushed selling it but thought long and hard through it. Absolute awful timing with the Coronavirus so I probably sold it for 1k less than what it's worth but whatever it's better than trading it in. Heres what she will look like (keep in mind I've been only learning stick for two weeks now with friends & co-workers).

Way better front end than the G

Brembos!

Appears to be in beautiful condition

The rear diffuser should grow on me and yes that's a Tomei dah

Super hyped

Old 03-18-2020, 09:16 AM
Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts
Looks are definitely subjective, I've always found the coupe have the best front end even after all these years. Good pickup either way

Old 03-18-2020, 09:23 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G35 Sport/Premium Package 5AT
The body style overall is simple and clean from the front yes.. but the headlights/grille kill it for me. Grille looks too big (especially w/ a gialla) and really not a fan of the headlights shape (they look cool when they are on at night tho). Although I was considering painting insides black in future but that won't happen anymore lol. I really bought this car for the 6MT. I drive high end cars for a living and the lag was driving me crazy, as well as all the rattles. But I'm not sure if the rattle part will change much I know I am in for a rough 11 hour ride back lol.

Old 03-19-2020, 03:02 AM
Originally Posted by Ryan_vq35
Yesterday I sold my G35. Saturday I fly out to Portland to bring back an 08 350Z nismo (32k miles)
Sorry guys but it's been nice knowing ya'

Thanks for all the helpful advice about the G but in the end I just couldn't take it anymore the 5AT in this car blows super laggy didn't want to spend for Transgo kit to get marginal results and they don't offer 06/07 coupes in IP/Black Interior. Major dealbreaker for me because the wheat interior looks like absolute poop no offense I liked it at first but not anymore and I'd rather have a more track-ready car than a luxury car when I never use back seats. Rushed selling it but thought long and hard through it. Absolute awful timing with the Coronavirus so I probably sold it for 1k less than what it's worth but whatever it's better than trading it in. Heres what she will look like (keep in mind I've been only learning stick for two weeks now with friends & co-workers).

Way better front end than the G

Brembos!

Appears to be in beautiful condition

The rear diffuser should grow on me and yes that's a Tomei dah

Super hyped
That rear bumper reminds me of an old Nintendo cartridge.

The following users liked this post:
cleric670 (03-19-2020)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: What did you do to the G today?