The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

What did you do to the G today?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-01-2014, 04:16 PM
Received 76 Likes on 65 Posts
^ correct, i got them from R1 Autoworks. The fitment was pretty good but it still took a lot of dremeling and razor work to fit perfectly, not to mention drilling out all the bolt holes. I haven't gotten around to mocking up the Nismo V3 i got from them too. I'll let you guys know how that goes shortly. I've got an appt. for body shop on the 20th! Thanks guys

Old 01-01-2014, 08:21 PM
Received 260 Likes on 210 Posts
G35
I'll definitely check them out. My stock sides look like crap, maybe switch to something different in the summer instead of repainting them.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by SAMzG35
I'll definitely check them out. My stock sides look like crap, maybe switch to something different in the summer instead of repainting them.
For me it was a toss up between OEM sport sides and Impul. The deal breaker was that if i got the sport sides then the Nismo V3 front would hang down a little lower than the sides. Mudgaurds up front would help even it out, but IMO the sport sides look cleaner without them up front. Yeah Stephen from R1 is a great guy, I'd definately look into it. I got a good deal on a Black Friday sale, if your in no rush.. something to think about but that is a long wait haha

Old 01-01-2014, 09:05 PM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogee
For me it was a toss up between OEM sport sides and Impul. The deal breaker was that if i got the sport sides then the Nismo V3 front would hang down a little lower than the sides. Mudgaurds up front would help even it out, but IMO the sport sides look cleaner without them up front. Yeah Stephen from R1 is a great guy, I'd definately look into it. I got a good deal on a Black Friday sale, if your in no rush.. something to think about but that is a long wait haha
Was R1 lookin to hook you up with sport sides?! I'd love to replace mine with those. Been lookin for a while now

Old 01-01-2014, 09:10 PM
No, i think they only carry aftermarket products, I had been scouring craigslist and the forums for months to no avail. I guess you'll just have to get lucky finding a set.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:11 PM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
Figured that. Oh well.
Awesome job with the install on yours man

Old 01-01-2014, 09:15 PM
Thanks! I appreciate it! Now for the other side and the bumper...lol

Old 01-01-2014, 11:16 PM
Received 96 Likes on 85 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogee
^ correct, i got them from R1 Autoworks. The fitment was pretty good but it still took a lot of dremeling and razor work to fit perfectly, not to mention drilling out all the bolt holes. I haven't gotten around to mocking up the Nismo V3 i got from them too. I'll let you guys know how that goes shortly. I've got an appt. for body shop on the 20th! Thanks guys
Just curious, what kind stuff did you actually have to do to it?

Old 01-01-2014, 11:45 PM
Well first of all, you have to drill all the mounting holes (7 bolts on the bottom and two on the sides), This doesn't take too long, but you have to be spot on so measure ten times drill once lol. Also some corners needed to be dremeled down to fit the contour of the door jam. Same with the ends of the skirts, they were maybe a 1/8"th to high to fit snug so those needed to be shaved. The "finish" of the part out of the plug is not perfect, sharp corners and a little unevenly cut, so a lot of little adjustments need to be made nothing major. I say the fitment out of the box was 9.5/10. WAAAY better than i thought! I am doing this mostly by myself but if you had someone to hold it in place it wouldn't take too long i suppose.

The following users liked this post:
BowWizzel (01-02-2014)
Old 01-04-2014, 08:14 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Today I decided to push the G to it's limits and see how well the traction control (VDC) system is in the G since I finally have a really good set of tires on it.... Michelin Pilot's.

I have had a terrible accident in the past with the G and I felt it was partially the traction control's fault for not kicking in but people have said it's also my fault for driving on tires with 30% tread left which I agree.

So earlier I forced the G into a drift with the VDC on of course and the wheels continued to spin and the car got really sideways before the system kicked in, there was probably a good 2-3 second delay. The system can be very unpredictable, so it will kick in fast sometimes and other times kick in really late.

My best friend with an '06 G35x has similar delays and unpredictable responses with his VDC and 4WD system kicking in fast sometimes and other times be delayed.

It doesn't always happen but maybe 10% to 20% of the time it will happen and can be kind of annoying. We also both have Sean's grounding kit installed on both of our cars.

I understand how the system detects slip and if I can notice the rear wheels spin more than 2 full rotations than the front wheels.... like really VDC kick in already lol

Just wondering if anyone experiences anything similar and giving a heads up to new G owners to be careful out there.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:29 AM
Received 856 Likes on 744 Posts
Dug it out of the snow, now its frozen like a popsicle..

Old 01-04-2014, 09:07 AM
Received 67 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by G_DiRTY5
Today I decided to push the G to it's limits and see how well the traction control (VDC) system is in the G since I finally have a really good set of tires on it.... Michelin Pilot's. I have had a terrible accident in the past with the G and I felt it was partially the traction control's fault for not kicking in but people have said it's also my fault for driving on tires with 30% tread left which I agree. So earlier I forced the G into a drift with the VDC on of course and the wheels continued to spin and the car got really sideways before the system kicked in, there was probably a good 2-3 second delay. The system can be very unpredictable, so it will kick in fast sometimes and other times kick in really late. My best friend with an '06 G35x has similar delays and unpredictable responses with his VDC and 4WD system kicking in fast sometimes and other times be delayed. It doesn't always happen but maybe 10% to 20% of the time it will happen and can be kind of annoying. We also both have Sean's grounding kit installed on both of our cars. I understand how the system detects slip and if I can notice the rear wheels spin more than 2 full rotations than the front wheels.... like really VDC kick in already lol Just wondering if anyone experiences anything similar and giving a heads up to new G owners to be careful out there.
My VDC will give me a little room to have fun going sideways before it kicks in.

If you start to get out of control....let off the accelerator and it will really lock down on you. Give that a try.

In straight line acceleration under heavy or wot it comes on immediately.

My VDC in the 2 G Coupes I've owned have felt and acted exactly the same.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:31 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ronnieballgame
My VDC will give me a little room to have fun going sideways before it kicks in.

If you start to get out of control....let off the accelerator and it will really lock down on you. Give that a try.

In straight line acceleration under heavy or wot it comes on immediately.

My VDC in the 2 G Coupes I've owned have felt and acted exactly the same.

Yea I learned how to keep the car in control, a few weeks ago during a snow storm I spent a full tank of gas and 6 hours of just drifting. Surprisingly I was the only G there. It was 90% BMW's 3 series and 5 series but I was doing better than all of them except for 1.

Name:  ToyotaPrius_zps9b2b7fc9.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  59.5 KB

Anyway my issue is it's inconsistant with the way it reacts, for example if I accelerate gently and the wheels slip and the system kicks in right away as it should then great. But if I accelerate the exact same way under the same conditions and all it has to do is make the same detection with the appropriate response but is really delayed this time then wth...

I know I shouldn't rely on a cars safety features 100% and I know how to keep the car in control but the average person isn't going to be attentive to the cars dynamics 100% of the time either that's why those features are there in the first place.

Don't get me wrong though, this small issue isn't a big deal I really love the car but it's just a flaw I wish I was aware of before I got into that accident so I'm just letting others know.

Old 01-04-2014, 05:10 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
Finished installing the turbos and hot-side piping. Engine is almost ready to go back in the car.

Last edited by herrschaft; 01-04-2014 at 09:21 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:11 PM
Received 1,939 Likes on 1,249 Posts

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: What did you do to the G today?