The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Two cents worth

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 05:35 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
lol wats next? since when does the hood latch open from the front instead of the rear of hood?

Old 06-10-2013, 06:15 PM
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
don't know what to say...

Old 06-11-2013, 12:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No I was simply asking why common terminology calls an intake tube or cold air intake box just simply an intake, when the intake is actually something entirely different. The common use of intake has come to describe the piece responsible for delivering the air to the actual intake. Was only asking why it has become the terminology for that piece even though it is simply the tube delivering to, thus an intake tube and not an intake directly...?

(And yes I do prefer working on and building carb'd systems rather than computer driven, but that has no place in this question...)

Old 06-11-2013, 12:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 G37 IPL
Originally Posted by tinytexan
No I was simply asking why common terminology calls an intake tube or cold air intake box just simply an intake, when the intake is actually something entirely different. The common use of intake has come to describe the piece responsible for delivering the air to the actual intake. Was only asking why it has become the terminology for that piece even though it is simply the tube delivering to, thus an intake tube and not an intake directly...?

(And yes I do prefer working on and building carb'd systems rather than computer driven, but that has no place in this question...)
Wish I had known sooner! Looked like a dumbass @ my mech calling it an intake. He had no clue what I wanted to upgrade. I kept explaining and he kept saying thats inside the motor. Damn, my two cents aren't worth even one.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:38 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Originally Posted by tinytexan

I'm 50 and have worked on cars most of my life. I have always referred to an "intake manifold" as just that, never called it an "intake". The modern use of "intake" is just a term for what is actually labeled an "air intake" which correctly describes the part and it's function. It includes the filter, MAF, and tube.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:15 AM
Received 232 Likes on 183 Posts
Blue Dream hit it on the head. The "Intake System" has multiple pieces. The Air Intake portion of it is the tube/MAF/box that delivers air to the throttle body, past the throttle body is the "Intake Plenum" which itself is broken down into other pieces. The upper plenum is what you see attached to the throttle body, the lower plenum is what the upper bolts onto to and starts funneling air into the cylinders via the lower runners, which is the 3rd piece that often gets forgotten about because most guys don't mod it.

So when talking about modifying cars the "Intake System" gets broken down in the (air) Intake and the Plenum mods. At least on this chassis. I'm sure you'll find terminology differences in other communities that are a result of their specific engine setup.

And I don't miss carbs, but I do miss the ease of rewiring a car, or finding short circuits when you have less than 30 wires total to deal with.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:30 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
I'm 50 and have worked on cars most of my life. I have always referred to an "intake manifold" as just that, never called it an "intake". The modern use of "intake" is just a term for what is actually labeled an "air intake" which correctly describes the part and it's function. It includes the filter, MAF, and tube.

In the Mustang world, if you said you changed your "intake", most guys would assume you meant Intake Manifold. In fact, you would be corrected that a CAI was not an intake.

Here's a good example of "intake" being common use to refer to the intake manifold

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...will-work.html

In fact, the term "H/C/I" refers to "HEads, Cam, Intake" which refers to changing the Intake manifold out.

The intake tube was refered to as CAI and that included the air box, tube, MAF and everything up to the throttle body.

So I'll admit that once i started joining non-Mustang boards, i was scratching my head at why the intake tube was called an "intake"

While this entire thread is useless...i understand why.

Old 06-30-2013, 10:07 PM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by Sufiballer8
im speechless
wow nice to see you spamming every thread possible to try to reach marketplace requirements....

The following users liked this post:
AmateuRN (06-30-2013)