The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Anyone buy a G after owning an Audi/BMW?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 03:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wannabe6MT
My roommates 05 G35 6MT sedan averaged about 17mpg in town and only did made 24-25 on the highway. Pretty similar to my car. I'v had 3 Gs (an 05, an 08 and the 13) as well as conning most of my friends into buying them and they have all got pretty shitty gas mileage by modern standards (mid teens in town and low to mid 20s on highway) but if you are ok with that, then have at it. My roommate traded his 05 G for an 09 E90 335d on saturday and says the car outdrives his G in every aspect and it gets 40mpg at 80mph... so I guess it just depends what you are looking for. The higher ownership costs are worth it to me for the driving experience they provide.
I'm ok with that kind of mileage... my chipped Audi gets pretty bad mpg for being a 4 cyl. And don't get me wrong, I was in a different financial situation when I bought my A4 and if things were the same I'd buy another one or a BMW because they have that driving experience. More power to ya if you have the means

Originally Posted by BlkCoupe
I know that Infiniti has gotten a bum rap for their paint. Unfortunately it really isn't their fault. Government regulations have reared their ugly head again. I bought my G35 Coupe in Dec 2002. The first thing I did was to start reading every detailing forum I could find. Autopia.org is one of my favorites. I learned every thing I could about detailing your paint. Today my OB looks better than the day I picked it up. Yes. I now own thousands of dollars worth of products (It becomes a habit to buy every product that claims to be better).

Now to Mercedes Benz paint. My MB coupe is also black. MB uses PPG ceramiclear paint. One of the new nano paints. The clearcoat is extremely thin. It would be very easy with a cutting pad and an aggressive Mequiars Heavy Cut Cleaner to completely remove the clearcoat I have also noticed that although the paint is hard and chips easily.

Moral of the story the Benz Coupe was $60,255 my new (Dec 2002) 2003 G Coupe was $37,415 (yes I still have the window sticker). I do not fell that the Benz paint is better than the G.
Of course I've got to ask ... did you find the "right" combo of products for taking care of the G?

Old 12-10-2013, 01:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry a bit off topic but is this true? G35 is lower stock than G37?

Old 12-10-2013, 04:14 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
What models?

There are published data in the FSM on all of them, but each model is different depending on sedan, coupe, sport package, AWD, etc. Way too many variables.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:20 PM
Base model Coupes. I got a 2005 Base coupe and it just looks better sitting there than I'm assuming a base 37 coupe? I'm sure the IPL or whatever sits lower

Old 12-10-2013, 07:21 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Difference is g35 coupe is 1/2" lower than g37.

That measurement is to the wheel arches. It doesn't tell the entire story because there is no data to measure various undercarriage points to the ground.

The wheel arch on the g37 could just be physically difference.

But in reading the FSM....height from ground to wheel arch is slightly lower on the older models

Old 12-12-2013, 06:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
IPL and Sport models sit lower. They have a different suspension set up. I have to dig of up the PDF that showed the specifications. Its somewhere in my mass of documents

Old 12-29-2013, 08:11 AM
I came Into my G from an b6 audi s4 ( also had b5s4s e46 and e36 m3s as well) and I feel they are different cars altogether. The fit and finish if the Germans are def better but the fun factor lies in the Japanese cars.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by Wannabe6MT
After 3 Gs I am planning on making the switch to a BMW. Craving something different in my life... that and the 16mpg is obnoxiously bad..
I'm getting close to making the switch after over 10 years of the G. Want something a little different, so am planning to go with the 328d Wagon

Obviously, I worry somewhat about future maintenance. But there is a risk no matter what car you get. And replacing a vehicle every 3 years is costly too. Get the bulk of the depreciation then.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:12 PM
I owned a 2005 BMW 325Ci before the two G35 sedans. Did all my own maintenance on the Bimmer but the parts were pretty hefty on the coin purse. Haven't gotten to any PMCS with the Gs but I'm definitely as satisfied as I was with the BMW so far... I've only owned them for two weeks.

EDIT: @Wannabe6MT, you won't be getting much better than 16mpg in a Bimmer, sadly. It also depends heavily on the way you drive it.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:57 PM
Received 211 Likes on 179 Posts
I have a g35 then bought an audi a4. Love the audi. 0 problems. 60000 miles. Awesome car. I may stick with audi forever. Reliability has been top notch, yes timing belts are expensive, but so are some of the things that go wrong with the infiniti's

Old 01-20-2014, 12:07 PM
In the past I owned a bmw 330ci 5spd sport package ...
Pros to bmw ... it had better handling and braking then my g sedan great engine note ..
Cons to bmw ... maintenance .. from my experience part failures ... water pump failure , power steering fail ure , traction control unit failed and airbag module failed causing airbag light (no accident or bumper bumps ) oil consumption 1gt every thousand miles I owned from 84k to 135k had to sell for a loss but I gave up on the car in the end it left me with a bad taste

Old 01-20-2014, 01:16 PM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
it's about the same.. we had the g35 & an e46 330 for almost 10 years each..
although the 330 only had 39k miles when we sold it. we did fix the drive belt pulley which wasn't really "wear and tear"...

the problem is that when you buy an used BMW.. most of it is a lease, and people beat the **** out of those cars. Especially these days when people are willing to stretch the years, mileage, and the $ to drive a "premium" car..

Same goes with a G, most people beat the **** out of it and wonder why the car breaks.. and after 75k.. get ready to replace worn parts.. one by one..

Old 01-24-2014, 07:58 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I went from an A4 to my G coupe. I love them both in their own regard. The G definitely out performs and looks much prettier. But the Audi was waaaay nicer on the inside, and a much better car to be in. Plus, the quattro system is an absolute animal in the winter.

Maintenance is a wash as long as you do your own service. Euro parts are much more expensive than the *** counter-part, but my Audi was always way better to work on.

Modifying the Infiniti is blissfully cheap as well. (not honda cheap of course), but you're likely to go broke modifying euro cars.

Old 02-04-2014, 01:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought a 2003 G35 sportcoupe from an Evo, but before that, from an LSB E46 M3. Honestly, I didn't want to, but needed to for financial reasons. I needed to free up some money, but still wanted to have a nice car. I sold my E46 for $15k & Evo for $13k, I picked up my laser red G35 coupe for $7700. I was pleasantly surprised. The G reminded me alot of the BMW, but was obviously much slower. Other than that, the interior was just as good, the options were just as good, & it was much cheaper to maintain.

What I didn't like about the G35, was the oil consumption issues & failure of the factory Bose unit & entire HVAC control panel.

I have since sold the G35 for a good deal on another Evo...however, as of today, I no longer own the Evo & have been searching for yet another new ride. I REALLY want another E46 M3, or maybe an E92 335i. I am on all these cars forums, the maintenance requirements, common failures, & expense of parts on those cars still scares me. I can always go back to an Evo as the past 3 Evo VIII's I've owned had been VERY good to me. Very reliable, parts are cheap, & you have AWD. (I live in NEPA, AWD is pretty much a necessity)

As much as I love Evo's though, they do feel like cheaply made cars. I prefer a mix of luxury & sport in my cars, which is what drew me to the E46 M3 in the first place. If I had to list them in order from which car I liked the most, the list would go as follows:
1.) BMW E46 M3 - By Far my favorite car so far. Perfect mix of luxury & sport, fast & looks stunning.
2.) Evo VIII or IX - Raw, much rougher riding car - but thats its purpose. Extremely fun to drive. Probably the most FUN cars I've ever driven.
3.) Infiniti G35 Coupe - Now don't take this as a last place finish, this is a great car...but it is pretty common (more sedan over coupe), it is not nearly as quick as the others, & oil consumption issues really scared me.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:10 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
my lady friend had an 07 325i that i got to drive quite often. It was 'okay' to drive but like another member said, it felt detached. While cornering, it did not feel quite stable as my G does (stock). All in all, I would only buy an Audi or BMW for their aesthetics. Unless I purchase a 09 M3... got to drive that a couple times andddddddd fuuuuuuuuu. that. is. a powerful machine!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone buy a G after owning an Audi/BMW?