The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Anyone buy a G after owning an Audi/BMW?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 02:15 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by evoM3evo
I bought a 2003 G35 sportcoupe from an Evo, but before that, from an LSB E46 M3. Honestly, I didn't want to, but needed to for financial reasons. I needed to free up some money, but still wanted to have a nice car. I sold my E46 for $15k & Evo for $13k, I picked up my laser red G35 coupe for $7700. I was pleasantly surprised. The G reminded me alot of the BMW, but was obviously much slower. Other than that, the interior was just as good, the options were just as good, & it was much cheaper to maintain.
This reminds me of my 2nd gen Eclipse Gs-T (this was my previous car before my G)... it has the evo VIII engine. Solid 4 banger turbo engine. I one day plan on getting a 2nd gen GSX and fully mod that engine

Old 02-05-2014, 02:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I owned a 2004 G35 sports coupe and after it was totaled I bought a 2004 Audi s4. The only thing I enjoy more about the Audi than my g is the fact that it's just plain faster. I have exhaust, "downpipes" , intake, chipped and tuned but I much prefer my old g. Maybe I'm just biased.. Which is why I want back in a g now.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:20 PM
i switched from a 3 series. i found handling better on the bmw but I definitely enjoy the g more.

Old 02-09-2014, 03:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
after my G, I went to an F - ISF, I love the car - but I'm hoping the FT-1 comes out now, Iwant one

Old 02-09-2014, 06:11 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hoy pare. who would want to own an audi or a bmw? Japanese FTW..................

Old 02-24-2014, 06:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Im coming from a 1998 Bmw 528i over to my G coupe! The beamer was a great car when it didn't have problems. So far loving my g!

Old 02-25-2014, 01:46 AM
I gave my cousin my 05 Mercedes c230 kompressor sedan.. drives comfy for a c class.. but for a 4 cycl supercharged it wasn't so bad. Maintenance cost is ridiculous. Most german cars now have a transmission that has no drain plug and uses that lifetime fluid crap. When its time to do a fluid flush...save up. There is no fun factor comparison. A midship 3500lb RWD 6sp with an outstanding 280hp VQ motor is nothing to laugh at. BTW germans like using heavy thick steel...a c230 kompressor coupe comes in close to 3400 lbs with a 200hp 4 S/C cyc... horrid power to weight.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by BlkCoupe
I know that Infiniti has gotten a bum rap for their paint. Unfortunately it really isn't their fault. Government regulations have reared their ugly head again. I bought my G35 Coupe in Dec 2002. The first thing I did was to start reading every detailing forum I could find. Autopia.org is one of my favorites. I learned every thing I could about detailing your paint. Today my OB looks better than the day I picked it up. Yes. I now own thousands of dollars worth of products (It becomes a habit to buy every product that claims to be better).

Now to Mercedes Benz paint. My MB coupe is also black. MB uses PPG ceramiclear paint. One of the new nano paints. The clearcoat is extremely thin. It would be very easy with a cutting pad and an aggressive Mequiars Heavy Cut Cleaner to completely remove the clearcoat I have also noticed that although the paint is hard and chips easily.

Moral of the story the Benz Coupe was $60,255 my new (Dec 2002) 2003 G Coupe was $37,415 (yes I still have the window sticker). I do not fell that the Benz paint is better than the G.
It gets a bum rap because the paint is awful.

I had 2 Pontiacs before my G (98 Grand Prix GT and 02 Trans Am). The paint on both of those were 10x better. I bought the car 9 months old and it was COVERED in love bug damage. In my previous Pontiacs, I'd leave the love bugs on the paint for weeks and it wouldn't etch into the paint.

For the BMWs, I didn't own one, but test drove a 335i sedan. It felt a little faster but not as responsive. I didn't like the seats (not comfortable) and the styling was too plain for my taste. I'd definitely drive a 335i, I just like my G better.

Ironically though, the one car that has my interest right now is a BMW X3 3.5 m design. On paper (and in pictures) it just sounds like a great vehicle to me. Unfortunately, they're like $35k for a USED 2011 one. With my G being worth about 15k now... definitely not going to buy one any time soon.

Old 05-24-2014, 08:06 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
here is my straight forward answer. I bought bmw conv. with 61000 mi. driving it home for the first time after purchasing it a rear wheel bearing went out and the money started to flow out of my pockets to tune of $600. later the heater went out , then AC, all rubber seals which cracked and leakes. Conv top then refused to go down...simple adjustment...not on this car nothing is simple...
to sum it up I now have driven my G for over 5 years and the only problem I had which is now apparently fixed by disconnecting battery for 30 min.
................BUY another G...you betcha...but this one looks like it will last longer than me

Old 03-09-2015, 09:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ive had both, Currently own a 2004 g35x 2004 b6 audi a4 quattro 1.8t 6spd and recently sold my 2002 e46 bmw 325xi 5spd.

1) Id rate the bmw the best for fun factor. The awd system is amazing traction control on or off. The balance is amazing and the power is more than adequate(wish I had a 330).
Gas mileage was best of the bunch, interior very small but ok if you have children. Luxury this was the least "fancy" feeling car. The trim wasn't plush and ride handling was more sport oriented. Low low maintence but when something breaks, make sure u replace with OEM or you are asking for trouble. Easy to work on yourself but parts and oil changes are death.

2) A4, Id rate this the best compromise vehicle.The awd system by far is only second to the Subaru system which if you've drive a WRX in the snow you understand. Great balance and gearbox power is lacking, small 4cyl turbo might seem fun but out of the box the lack of torque is very evident. Gas mileage is decent but also uses premium just like the rest. Have to give the car more throttle to perform which obviously calls for more rich fuel ratio. Interior is slightly larger than the BMW and the fit and finish inside is probably the best. Heated rear seats best Bose ive heard so far and killed the bmw harmon kardon. One touch windows and sunroof. On board computer and all. Great great great machine. But again, with the USP package its very rough being lowered from the factory and low profiles. Not the most comfy daily driver. Oil leaks, oil leaks and coolant leaks. Most maintenance required!!! Not DIY friendly

3) G35x, Id rate this the best luxury sedan of the bunch, AWD system as you know isn't awd. I cant feel it turn off after low speeds but it certainly does work to launch from low speeds. This car doesn't come manual from what I'm aware of at least in the '04 models. Most power of the bunch but again the slushtronic isnt that fun but on the highway it def. boogies. This car has the largest interior of the bunch and the seats are huge and could accommodate a tall and I'm sure wider person than I. The rear seats and leg room is huge. Reclining rear seats..clutch, not heated but I can live with it.Gas guzzler geeze but what do you expect from the biggest motor with most hp and tq. Probably the heaviest and certainly the largest car of the bunch. Nice woodgrain trim, I dont like the orange cluster and lighting reminds me of old 80's nissan for anyone over 30, they know exatcly what Im talking about. Best ride and road manners of the bunch. But man the bushings......this in itself will be a headache. Lowest maintence so far

The following users liked this post:
Justice06RR (03-17-2015)
Old 03-12-2015, 02:26 PM
before my 05 g35x i had an 01 325xi and i wanted more power and thats what i got, but i am still trying to get the suspension and turning closer to the bimmers. that thing was a dream to drive. no im not dreaming i just drive really really fast.

Old 03-12-2015, 03:52 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
So I am a few months away from handing back my C300 4MATIC lease. Am i going to miss the car? Yup. Am i going to get another Benz? Nope.

I keep telling people that the only advantage the car had over my G35 was the emblem on the hood. Other than that, it was a car. The features aren't anything spectacular and you could go out and get a loaded Ford Fusion and have most of the same technology. There wasn't anything about that car that screamed to me "you need to get another one" other than the amount of attention it got and the constant annoying question of "Yo, how do you afford this car" from young guys trying way too hard to look cool.

So, this car will go back, and i'll prob trade my 155K mile G35x sedan in soon for a G37x. Cheaper price, easier to maintain, easy to work on, and WAAAAY easier to find DIY's on how to repair stuff than a C300. Seems most Benz owner like to pay people to fix their cars. I can't do that per my ego. However, it's hard to find info on how to diagnose things for new M-B cars. Infiniti G37's are a little easier to find in terms of FSM's , DIY's and tech info for repairs and maintainence.

I will miss how well the C300 handles though. Little car drive's like it's on rails.

Nothing is cheap on a Benz either.

Part X at Nissan = $5
Part X at Infiniti = $30
Part X at Mercedes = $125 but you get complementary coffee.

EDIT: Forgot to add. Nissan AWD > Benz 4-matic. Used to drive them back to back in the snow and the difference was night and day. Much more confident in deep snow in the G35x.

Last edited by Mustang5L5; 03-12-2015 at 07:49 PM.
Old 03-12-2015, 04:22 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
So I am a few months away from handing back my C300 4MATIC lease. Am i going to miss the car? Yup. Am i going to get another Benz? Nope.

I keep telling people that the only advantage the car had over my G35 was the emblem on the hood. Other than that, it was a car. The features aren't anything spectacular and you could go out and get a loaded Ford Fusion and have most of the same technology. There wasn't anything about that car that screamed to me "you need to get another one" other than the amount of attention it got and the constant annoying question of "Yo, how do you afford this car" from young guys trying way too hard to look cool.

So, this car will go back, and i'll prob trade my 155K mile G35x sedan in soon for a G37x. Cheaper price, easier to maintain, easy to work on, and WAAAAY easier to find DIY's on how to repair stuff than a C300. Seems most Benz owner like to pay people to fix their cars. I can't do that per my ego. However, it's hard to find info on how to diagnose things for new M-B cars. Infiniti G37's are a little easier to find in terms of FSM's , DIY's and tech info for repairs and maintainence.

I will miss how well the C300 handles though. Little car drive's like it's on rails.

Nothing is cheap on a Benz either.

Part X at Nissan = $5
Part X at Infiniti = $30
Part X at Mercedes = $125 but you get complementary coffee.
What kind of compliments does the coffee give? "You have a nice smile"

Old 03-12-2015, 04:37 PM
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
My nissan dealership in town has a complimentary deli sandwich with any oil change.

Old 03-12-2015, 04:46 PM
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts
I've had a Benz and currently have an Audi S5 and the G35.

2005 Benz C230K Sport Sedan. Great looks and as stated before, lots of compliments and people thinking it costs 3 times more than it really does. After I sold it, new owner say the tranny is slipping at 100k miles, so that is going to be expensive. I even had the tranny service done twice while I owned it to prevent that. But, it got great mpg, up to 34 mpg at 47 mph. Loved that car, not a lot of bells and whistles, but it had just the right amount of luxury, sport, and economy... as long as nothing broke. A thermostat cost me over $240 installed, for example. I was out of the country, wife needed the car, so had to suck that one up.

2010 Audi S5, 354 hp 4.2L V8 with Quattro and Prestige package (pretty much loaded)
Better traction, seats, interior, paint, styling, wheels, engine sound, transmission, sound system, handling, power, brakes, exhaust, gauges, navigation, shifter, paddle shifters, headlights, tail lights, HVAC system, engine bay looks/layout, sunroof size, features, key less start, and pretty much everything about the car is better than the G35. Even the trunk will open up all the way, not just a crack, when you hit the button. A thousand more compliments, comments, and looks compared to the G35. Even the Nappa Silk leather on the seats, made by Recaro, is much better quality and feel.. and no rip on the drivers seat like almost every G (that hasn't been repaired).

Test drove an A5, A4, and even an S4, and they didn't do anything for me. I'm a sport coupe guy. You should test drive an S5, they are awesome.

Only downside, gets a little less average mpg (21 compared to 23) and costs about 3 times as much as the G, so it should be a lot better at everything.

I love the G though. It's nice to have a spare car, and pick which one you want to take for a ride that day.

Last edited by Hatchman; 03-12-2015 at 04:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Justice06RR (03-17-2015)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone buy a G after owning an Audi/BMW?