The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Anyone Know of A Performance Shop

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2016 | 03:07 AM
|
Originally Posted by yosip1115
I wanted to add in a few things for you to consider.

First, good choice browsing the forums. There are a lot of members here who have owned V35 G35's and V36 G35's who then migrated to the G37's.

Some concerns I have for both of your choices here... The transmissions and drivetrains.

I understand you don't want to be driving around in a car that looks fast, you want to go for the sleeper thing. The problem with the AWD system is I really don't think it can hold up to the kind of power you are looking for. Even the RWD automatic transmissions struggle to hold 500WHP. They all fail inevitably.

Even the GTR is known for burning up transmissions one after another once you are pushing power. I would think there is more support to build the GTR transmission than any G37 or G35 transmission. Not to mention the transfer cases in the G37's and G35's... I really don't trust them to begin with before you even bring super-car power levels into the discussion.

AWD=problems. No doubt.

6MT RWD is the way to go. But that goes against your original statement of needing AWD. Other than that, there are plenty of 6MT G37 coupes and I believe they make the G37 sedans in 6MT also.

With you coming from the LS world, you will be used to a lot of low end torque.

Right off the bat you're going to want a built bottom end, possibly even a stroker. Head work to support a mean set of cams, porting, etc. Boost... lots of it. Even that might not be enough for you. Basically you should shoot for the stars here. Go where few have gone, make it no question that you need a sleeved VQ block. 4 digit numbers should be your goal IMO.

Are you sure you want to drive an automatic car? Honestly I would get bored of it, even if it was a GTR. Unfortunately in the USDM there are no AWD manual platforms made by nissan that will work in this situation. It would be amazing to see a skyline R34 drivetrain in a G37x coupe to retain the AWD but have the reliability and efficiency of a manual transmission.
Yeah, I have done some research one the failure rates of the transmissions. In fact some of the GTR packages include a beefed up trans as a mandatory item. Even still..
I found a few companies that sell some heavy duty transmissions a long while ago, The transmission is part of my plan. We will see.

I love the feel and engaged drive of a manual transmission. But living in a place where 80% of the time its bumper to bumper traffic it gets very bothersome. I prefer my daily driver to be auto. I was once stuck behind a police funeral thing where they closed off the freeways and all the exits to do the parade show while I was on my motorcycle. I got to the front of the traffic where the police cars were all lined up and barely moving forward. They were driving slower then my idle speed so several hundred grips of the clutch and a tiring balancing act my hand was burning and stiffer than ill get out. I ended up just pulling over and waiting it out. Plus I got this weird irritation that pumping the clutch 50 times to go a few miles in traffic makes me think about how much sooner ill be needing to replace it. In the vette it was an absolute nightmare with its puck style stage 3 clutch. I ended up getting a stage 3+ (pad is all the way around) just to tolerate traffic when I was living closer to LA.

But know that I'm thinking about it, and its been over a year since I've driven in a stick shift I'm starting to question my decision.... my daily car right now is a nissan maxima I put WAY too much money in. It beats my gfs g35 without trying (all she has is an intake) so it fun an all but the reason I am so interested in AWD is how squirrelly RWD gets when you are running that much power. When it rained It was almost impossible to drive the vette. I ended up drifting every turn. My buddy has a WRX all modded up and the way it feels to punch out of a turn is amazing. It's like a slingshot. I've been obsessed with AWD ever since.

Last edited by twentyeggs; 01-26-2016 at 03:14 AM.
Old 01-26-2016 | 05:25 AM
Subi and Infiniti AWD can not be compared. Please don't think you'll be driving an sti type system if you have a g37. Subi and mitsu are completely different beasts with their AWD systems.

Old 01-26-2016 | 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by ScraggleRock
Subi and Infiniti AWD can not be compared. Please don't think you'll be driving an sti type system if you have a g37. Subi and mitsu are completely different beasts with their AWD systems.
I was going to add that I would never switch to a Subaru. I would however switch to a Mitsubishi Evo XIII.

But you wouldn't be fooling anyone driving around in an Evo! ha. Everyone and their brother would want to race you...

I'm going with 285 pilot super sports, which are measly comparing to what you could squeeze into your old car, twentyeggs. It is easy and common to see tires in the 300+mm sizes on 350 and 370Z's because their fenders are wider from the factory. You never see those sizes on G37's and G35's. Serious fender work is needed, then bye bye sleeper, and hello ricer. Even with a 300+mm tire on a Z you still wouldn't get that slingshot feeling out of a corner that AWD offers. Like Scraggle said, these AWD systems can't hang. These cars are way heavier too. You would probably be disappointed.

I think your only options are sleeper without AWD (6MT G37 coupe or sedan), or AWD without being a sleeper (evo, subaru).

Old 01-26-2016 | 08:39 PM
|
Originally Posted by yosip1115
I was going to add that I would never switch to a Subaru. I would however switch to a Mitsubishi Evo XIII.

But you wouldn't be fooling anyone driving around in an Evo! ha. Everyone and their brother would want to race you...

I'm going with 285 pilot super sports, which are measly comparing to what you could squeeze into your old car, twentyeggs. It is easy and common to see tires in the 300+mm sizes on 350 and 370Z's because their fenders are wider from the factory. You never see those sizes on G37's and G35's. Serious fender work is needed, then bye bye sleeper, and hello ricer. Even with a 300+mm tire on a Z you still wouldn't get that slingshot feeling out of a corner that AWD offers. Like Scraggle said, these AWD systems can't hang. These cars are way heavier too. You would probably be disappointed.

I think your only options are sleeper without AWD (6MT G37 coupe or sedan), or AWD without being a sleeper (evo, subaru).
What about the AWD system in the G makes it fall short of the grippy feeling punching out of a turn? I know the AWD in subaru and evo are super tuned for rally driving but I don't see what would cause an AWD system to not stack up unless it doesn't know how to compensate wheel spin from one side to the other. But the Infinity, even nissan maxima, has had the VDC in their cars for over a decade. Which I know works. The inside tire will receive less power than the outside in a turn. I guess what about the AWD do you guys think will not give me what I'm looking for?

I've seen a few people achieve 450HP/TQ on awd g37's and they look real good moving around.

I'm starting to get the feeling the g37 is the wrong platform to build up. I could always turn my attention towards audi.

Old 01-26-2016 | 09:15 PM
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
Infiniti system is variable, not full time. AWD off the line to 16mph, then gradually shifts to primarily RWD. It will shift power to front if it detects the need, but it's primarily designed to provide a RWD handling experience with the benefits of AWD when needed.

Old 01-26-2016 | 10:46 PM
Subaru uses a viscus limited slip style "transfer case" to distribute power F/R, Mitsubishi uses an open style center differential for that. Nissan uses an electric solenoid style with clutches. It allows it to be 100% RWD but it is not as tolerant to large increases in power as either of the others I mentioned. Not too sure about Audi... I don't pay much attention to VW's, cute little toys. The VDC does not limit how much power one wheel gets, it actually uses the brake calipers individually! People wonder why they chew through a set of pads and rotors when they have their traction control disabled. You need to cut power to the VDC module to really disable it. If all you want is 450WHP you should be fine. That would make a decent AWD coupe... I thought you were shooting way higher.

Old 01-26-2016 | 11:44 PM
^ yeah, I thought you were talking about a real beast of a machine. 450hp is cool, but I thought you were talking about a minimum of 600.

Old 01-27-2016 | 07:18 PM

R34 GTR /thread

Old 01-28-2016 | 06:46 AM
|
Originally Posted by Mignav01
R34 GTR /thread
i live in usa

Old 01-28-2016 | 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by twentyeggs
i live in usa
You can still find them in the US. I see them all the time.There are companies that retrofit them for registration approval. Also, the 25yr law will make the earlier ones completely legal to import.

Old 01-28-2016 | 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by ScraggleRock
You can still find them in the US. I see them all the time.There are companies that retrofit them for registration approval. Also, the 25yr law will make the earlier ones completely legal to import.
^^^^ thisss. There are companies that can certify them and retrofit certain parts of the car that make them comply to US law, that's what I plan on doing after college. or you can pay a $hit ton of money to buy one already retrofitted... but that's no fun

Old 01-29-2016 | 12:50 AM
|
Originally Posted by Mignav01
^^^^ thisss. There are companies that can certify them and retrofit certain parts of the car that make them comply to US law, that's what I plan on doing after college. or you can pay a $hit ton of money to buy one already retrofitted... but that's no fun
I am also eyeballing the Audi TT-RS. That looks like a very fun looking car. I just don't like the curvy lines it has, but with the right body kit to square it out and give it a more masculine look, I could definitely go for that. With some upgraded turbos and a little engine work it would not be very hard to get some decent power out of it, and I wouldn't need to worry about the transmission as it is already built up and capable of handling the power I would be happy with. It's also an AWD stick shift, or I can wait for the new model to come out with the 7 speed auto duel clutch that they are currently selling in the UK.

Old 01-29-2016 | 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by twentyeggs
I am also eyeballing the Audi TT-RS. That looks like a very fun looking car. I just don't like the curvy lines it has, but with the right body kit to square it out and give it a more masculine look, I could definitely go for that. With some upgraded turbos and a little engine work it would not be veriy hard to get some decent power out of it, and I wouldn't need to worry about the transmission as it is already built up and capable of handling the power I would be happy with. It's also an AWD stick shift, or I can wait for the new model to come out with the 7 speed auto duel clutch that they are currently selling in the UK.
audi TT's are fun little cars, if you can get past 3 things. First it looks like a VW bug. Secondly as you've pointed out its rather unappealing in looks. and thirdly I don't trust German cars as DD's, everything is overly complicated and almost impossible to work on yourself. But if you like it go for it, in the end it's you who's going to be driving

Old 01-29-2016 | 08:49 PM
|
Well I've made up my mind. No more back and forth so we can end the thread. I am going to stick to my guns and get the GTR. My school loans were 78k and I paid them off in 4 years with out much suffering at all. Although I still don't have a house yet, I'm fine paying the low rent out of my parents condo (they don't live in anymore) a few more years. I can save up for another 2-3 years and outright buy the GTR, for a car, I can live a little rough. I'm the kinda person who would live in a trailer home if I could have a bunch of awesome cars!! I've survived off top ramen before, Ill do it again. Everything I want in a car is in the GTR.

I guess Ill stick to my little ol nissan maxima for the time being. It's not as fun to drive as my girl friends G35 but it is faster in a straight line. It will hang with her in the corners since I've installed pretty much every single bolt on upgrade you can get your hands on including suspension, but it still gets body roll which makes it much more difficult to go round while you can do it one handed in the G. I've refused to look into forced induction. I already get a lot of torque steer, I couldn't imagine adding an additional 150HP to that. And I could kiss my transmission goodbye if I did. So the Maxima, while it is a sleeper in its own right, it hits a glass ceiling performance wise unless you want to wrestle with it to keep it in a straight line. I'm not that diehard about maximas.
My girlfriend has been wanting the jeep SRT-8 for the last 2-3 years and she is nearing the end of her college career. I could always put a blower on that, debadge it, and get my kicks out of a sleeper that way. She is into fast cars too but always takes my lead on what to buy. I'm the one who suggested the G35 and she loves it to death. Good choice huh? lol