The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

After fourteen years, time to bid the G goodbye

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 02:18 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
After fourteen years, time to bid the G goodbye

I bought my G35 new in 2003, and it's been so good, that I wasn't really tempted to replace it with anything, because I didn't find any reason good enough to spend money on something newer, until now. In these fourteen years, this car has been rock solid, with only minor mechanical repairs needed, and some body work because people keep sideswiping it in front of my house! (School drop off zones are nuts). I've kept it completely stock except for an aftermarket stereo, since I have a project car that I mess with instead.

These cars are awesome because they're among the last performance cars which have nothing fundamentally complicated in the powertrain - no turbos, no DFI, no variable lift valves, just plain old, simple displacement.

I'll miss the good old G, but I'm giving it to a family member, so I'll still see it from time to time.

Old 05-10-2017, 05:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So what are you replacing it with?

Old 05-10-2017, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by ChrisAult2004
So what are you replacing it with?
A Ford Focus RS.

Attached Thumbnails After fourteen years, time to bid the G goodbye-img_3738-copy.jpg  
Old 05-10-2017, 06:46 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Seems like it's time to move on for more and more of us oldtimers. I, too, kept the G in the family so I still see it every day and can drive t whenever I want. But when it comes down to a daily decision to drive the G or my GTO the Goat wins 99% of the time. Those RS's are no joke, one played with me a couple of weeks ago and I was very impressed at how fast it was and how well it handled. Enjoy the new ride and don't be a stranger around here..........

The following users liked this post:
marcinr (05-10-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 07:36 PM
Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
No pics of the old girl?

Old 05-23-2017, 09:32 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I know that same feeling. When you have a car for a long time especially over a decade it almost becomes your own offspring. Sentimental value. I bought a Mustang GT new in 02 until I totaled it early 2012. This was the car I had when I was 20-30 years old so you can imagine the memories I had with it. Despite the wreck it was time for a new baby. I invested well over 15k in it not counting the new car price I paid. You had your G for over 10 years too. I can tell you if you love your car. You will think about it and miss it even 5 years later

Old 05-23-2017, 11:29 PM
The day after I posted this thread, my poor G got sideswiped in front of my house. I'm fixing it, though, and it's going to my dad, so it'll still be around, just on the other side of the country.

This is the 3rd time this exact thing has happened - I live in a school drop off zone, and parents jostling for parking are like Mad Max Fury Road.

I'll post a couple happy pics of the good old car once it's good as new. Also getting the headlights polished and clearcoated, so they look like new and don't yellow every couple of months.

Attached Thumbnails After fourteen years, time to bid the G goodbye-img_3764-copy.jpg  
Old 05-23-2017, 11:56 PM
Received 98 Likes on 82 Posts
damn dude your G can't catch a break, getting hit and run is one of the most upsetting helpless feelings for us car guys

Old 05-24-2017, 12:23 AM
Oh, it wasn't a hit and run, I saw it happen and got the other people's insurance. Had to do the fix on the cheap to not total the car. Poor thing is only worth about $4k.

Old 06-05-2017, 01:39 PM
Well, the trusty old steed is good as new.

I also had the headlights polished and clear coated so that they won't yellow up again - their protective coating from the factory is long gone. Managed to get a junkyard headlight for cheap too, which is nice.

This has definitely been the best all-around car I've had so far.

Attached Thumbnails After fourteen years, time to bid the G goodbye-img_3900-copy.jpg  
Old 06-05-2017, 02:07 PM
Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Hawt! Looks good. NJ

Old 06-13-2017, 10:57 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by marcinr
A Ford Focus RS.
That makes the departure a little easier

Old 06-16-2017, 01:01 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Clearcoating the headlight is smart. It's the only way to keep it clear!

Old 06-23-2017, 11:29 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I find myself pondering this route too from time to time. It's been a long road with many memories, I probably haven't been as active here as I would have liked due to a lack of issues. But much like you... I can't seem to find anything truly worthy of replacing it with. I feel like Infiniti/Nissan and automakers in general are just making luxury on wheels (have you seen a pickup truck lately lol) and are forgetting about the driver's car feeling. I feel the G sedans and coupes had a very special niche for being able to find a middle ground... something that hasn't been produced since.

The following users liked this post:
marcinr (06-23-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 12:57 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cmaster
I find myself pondering this route too from time to time. It's been a long road with many memories, I probably haven't been as active here as I would have liked due to a lack of issues. But much like you... I can't seem to find anything truly worthy of replacing it with. I feel like Infiniti/Nissan and automakers in general are just making luxury on wheels (have you seen a pickup truck lately lol) and are forgetting about the driver's car feeling. I feel the G sedans and coupes had a very special niche for being able to find a middle ground... something that hasn't been produced since.
I've thought for years about a viable rwd, mt replacement that can take the abuse. The only option I see is a 350z or a g37. I felt the g37 felt to numbed down and refined though

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.