The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Cleaned throttle body and severely messed something up

Old 02-04-2018, 04:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cleaned throttle body and severely messed something up

so I have a 07 G35x with 140,000 Miles about and when I took it in for an oil change last they said I should probably get the throttle body cleaned, I decided I to try and save $60 and do it myself without knowing what I was doing. After the “cleaning job” I did the car idled like ****. It either idles at 1800rpms or it jumps back and fourth from 1200-1800 and when I put it in drive it lowers to about 1000 rpms. I’ve tried the peddle dance I’ve tried actually taking both throttle bodies off and cleaning them the correct way (unplugging the battery and sensor then gentely cleaning the butterfly) nothing worked. I tested which throttle body was messed up by having the car started and unplugging each throttle body to see which one did what and the passenger side dropped rpms drastically to about what it should be (650) and when I turned the car off and back on then unplugged the driver side the Rpms stayed the same. I figured the driver side was bad and replaced it then did the resets and the Lil bitch is doing the same thing. I also ran sea foam through the tank. Next option is calling Infiniti and having the codes reset for $90 but who knows if that’ll even work. Please help! Thanks

Old 02-04-2018, 05:12 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
If you unplugged the throttle bodies you ABSOLUTELY MUST perform the TB recalibration so the ECU knows what position the motor is in.

Page 79 of the Factory Service Manual (FSM) has the steps to perform, read the "without Consult II" ones, it's nicknamed the "pedal dance" and you MUST use a clock that can accurately measure seconds because the timing is exact. It might take multiple attempts if you are screwing up the timing.

http://www.nicoclub.com/service-manu...7_G35_Coupe/ec

There are no "codes to reset" that will fix this. The ECU needs to relearn the position of both throttle bodies (if HR, else single TB for DE) as well as a re-learn algorithm for idle air volume which MUST be performed when the engine is at operating temperature.

These things are mostly computer so dicking around unplugging stuff or unbolting stuff without knowing what you're doing is going to cause massive problems for the user.

Old 02-04-2018, 05:25 PM
Sweet

Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
If you unplugged the throttle bodies you ABSOLUTELY MUST perform the TB recalibration so the ECU knows what position the motor is in.

Page 79 of the Factory Service Manual (FSM) has the steps to perform, read the "without Consult II" ones, it's nicknamed the "pedal dance" and you MUST use a clock that can accurately measure seconds because the timing is exact. It might take multiple attempts if you are screwing up the timing.

http://www.nicoclub.com/service-manu...7_G35_Coupe/ec

There are no "codes to reset" that will fix this. The ECU needs to relearn the position of both throttle bodies (if HR, else single TB for DE) as well as a re-learn algorithm for idle air volume which MUST be performed when the engine is at operating temperature.

These things are mostly computer so dicking around unplugging stuff or unbolting stuff without knowing what you're doing is going to cause massive problems for the user.
yea I’ve done enough unplugging and dicking around lol I did the idle relearn aka peddle dance and to reset the ECU is just to disconnect the battery and discharge all voltage or whatever. I’ve done the relearn so many times I don’t need a stop watch lol

Old 02-04-2018, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by G_35J3FF
so I have a 07 G35x with 140,000 Miles about and when I took it in for an oil change last they said I should probably get the throttle body cleaned, I decided I to try and save $60 and do it myself without knowing what I was doing. After the “cleaning job” I did the car idled like ****. It either idles at 1800rpms or it jumps back and fourth from 1200-1800 and when I put it in drive it lowers to about 1000 rpms. I’ve tried the peddle dance I’ve tried actually taking both throttle bodies off and cleaning them the correct way (unplugging the battery and sensor then gentely cleaning the butterfly) nothing worked. I tested which throttle body was messed up by having the car started and unplugging each throttle body to see which one did what and the passenger side dropped rpms drastically to about what it should be (650) and when I turned the car off and back on then unplugged the driver side the Rpms stayed the same. I figured the driver side was bad and replaced it then did the resets and the Lil bitch is doing the same thing. I also ran sea foam through the tank. Next option is calling Infiniti and having the codes reset for $90 but who knows if that’ll even work. Please help! Thanks
Well you saved $60.00

Telcoman

Old 02-04-2018, 05:40 PM
And I learned a valuable lesson 😂

Originally Posted by telcoman
Well you saved $60.00

Telcoman
dont try to cheap out on my car