How to remove superglue and also acetone stains from interior plastic? - G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

Go Back  G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion > General Discussion > The G-Spot
Reload this Page >

How to remove superglue and also acetone stains from interior plastic?

The G-Spot
General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Old 05-16-2018, 05:35 PM

Ugh what a mess I've gotten myself into.I had to glue on a falling off leather panel in the back, the job wasn't horrible (wasn't great either but passable) in terms of putting the fabric up. But I had too much glue in some areas around the edge.

Okay, I look up to try nitromethane or acetone. I try both. Doing what the instructions suggested. Test an area behind the seat pull down so it doesn't normally show with a swab. Easy, no mark awesome. Start applying to some to the glue marks. BAM turns white. Okay, oops my bad, when I did my test I just swabbed the plastic with chemical, there was no glue, apparently the reaction is what stains it, not the chemical itself.

Now I've got some white spots from the chemicals, and still excess glue/glue spots around this panel and it all around looks horrible. What can I do to remove the superglue, and hide the white spots?

Damn I wish I would have just opted to remove both panels instead.

Old 05-16-2018, 07:34 PM
I'm surprised the acetone didn't do the trick, are you sure you worked on it long enough? I was going to suggest Goof Off which never fails me, but you have to be real careful with it and plastics. They do also make a super glue remover, but I've never used it. Both are more than half to mostly acetone, but the regular Goof Off has more nasty chemicals.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:43 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo
Thanked 1,320 Times in 1,079 Posts
Nail polish remover works well removing super glue. It's cheap so I'd get some, unless a gf or wife already has it and see how it works. Not a guarantee but I think it'll fix you up.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:36 AM
SLICK
Thanked 1,077 Times in 960 Posts
Anything you use to remove super glue from your interior may do more damage, like remove the color! Try using finger nail polish remover on an area hidden from sight first!
Gary

The Following User Says Thank You to gary c For This Useful Post:
Blue Dream (05-17-2018)
Old 05-17-2018, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by MikeG35Coupe View Post
I'm surprised the acetone didn't do the trick, are you sure you worked on it long enough? I was going to suggest Goof Off which never fails me, but you have to be real careful with it and plastics. They do also make a super glue remover, but I've never used it. Both are more than half to mostly acetone, but the regular Goof Off has more nasty chemicals.
Well you see those extra white spots near the top in the first pic? That's the effect from using acetone. It didn't cause any effect when I just swabbed the acetone to plastic directly, but when I put it on the glue, it left that white stain.

Old 05-17-2018, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by sah302 View Post
Well you see those extra white spots near the top in the first pic? That's the effect from using acetone. It didn't cause any effect when I just swabbed the acetone to plastic directly, but when I put it on the glue, it left that white stain.
Yes, I saw that but it appeared to me that the white spots were still remaining super glue. It was tough to tell from your pics.

Also, the good nail polish remover is acetone.

Old 05-21-2018, 06:44 AM
Good luck. When that trim piece started falling off on my car I just removed it. There is smooth black plastic underneath and you probably would never even miss it without it on there.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:28 PM
Elephant pleather and other preforated synthetic materials will always be missed

Old 06-21-2018, 12:58 PM
When you start taking that off, you might consider redoing that leather vinyl, you can get all that material at yourautotrim.com