The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Fog light bulbs - Crystal Vision (Phillips)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 08:07 PM
Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts
Fog light bulbs - Crystal Vision (Phillips)

Anyone use these fog lights in models with Xenon headlights ? I don't know what years came with them but was looking for a color that would match the headlights a bit better. The stock fog light bulbs seem to be your typical, yellowish incandescent bulb. Phillips describes them as "Bright white Xenon look".

As far as the fog lights go, I'll admit, I'm only doing this for the "look" aspect. At least the current, old bulbs, the output or coverage they offer is pretty minimal....

Old 05-18-2018, 09:02 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,462 Likes on 2,154 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Those aren't the same style fogs on my 2006 coupe, mine uses H1 lamps and I THINK the sedan uses 9003, I put in Sylvania silverstar lamps last fall. However I use mine for pure functionality so my advice probably doesn't apply to someone going for cosmetics but the light output and functionality of them are very nice.

Old 05-19-2018, 12:20 AM
Interesting.... Phillips, Sylvania, Amazon, Advance Auto Parts and Rockauto all indicate it's a 9006 but the FSM does say H1. O'Reilly says H3 !

Guess the only way to determine for sure is to remove one that's installed !

Old 05-19-2018, 12:22 AM
Interesting.... Phillips, Sylvania, Amazon, Advance Auto Parts and Rockauto all indicate it's a 9006 but the FSM does say H1. O'Reilly says H3 !

Guess the only way to determine for sure is to remove one that's installed !

Old 05-20-2018, 05:27 PM
This video,
, is of an '08 G35 and the guy shows the fog light bulb that he removed and it's definitely not an H1. He indicates that it's a 9006.

Confusing ! Still haven't opened mine up yet....

Old 05-20-2018, 06:12 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Hall what year is your car? First gens used the H1 for the fog/bright bulb.

I tried the Crystal Vision Ultra and wasn't impressed with the output or color.

Old 05-20-2018, 06:53 PM

Every bulb "selector" tool indicates the bulbs are 9006 but the Field Service Manual says "H1". I suspect Infiniti fixed this in a revision.... Ahhh, the owner's manual says it uses an "HB4" which is a 9006.

What bulb did you end up with or did you just live with the Crystal Vision ?

Trending Topics

Old 05-20-2018, 07:58 PM

I didn't use them in my G, it's now the girlfriends. I used them in my GTO which has halogen projectors. I ended up with an awesome LED kit from oedro for my low beams that put out 6K color. Very happy with them.

Old 05-20-2018, 10:28 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,462 Likes on 2,154 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
There's probably some misinformation because of the overlap in the 2008 model year. The sedan was still the G35 while the coupe became the newly revised G37.

Old 05-21-2018, 01:24 AM
Received 374 Likes on 341 Posts
If you want them just for the color, go with LED's. Cant beat that sexy whiteness.

Old 05-21-2018, 12:16 PM
I should take a picture showing the fog lights on vs off as in my opinion, they're not very useful at all.

Recommendations on LEDs (brands) ? Reliability (or lifespan) would be one of the primary factors I'm looking for with these.

Old 05-21-2018, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Scorpi0
If you want them just for the color, go with LED's. Cant beat that sexy whiteness.
My LEDs put out a lot more usable light, better distance and penetration than my stupid halogen bulbs that were in the projectors, both stock and aftermarket. Not to mention the cutoff is hella cleaner and the light dispersion is way better. The brilliant white color is just a bonus.

Hall the kit I bought is this one, for the GTO they were truly plug and play. Came with ballasts and the bulbs have fans to cool them. They produce 360* light and fit in my headlight housings with the dust caps on. 2 Year warranty and almost 500 reviews with a 4.3 out of 5 rating between them. I've had them for 3 months with absolutely no issues, they didn't cause any electrical issues such as hyperblinking either. As you can see they have available replacements for a number of headlight bulbs. Not sure if they offer kits to replace D2R or D2S bulbs but I haven't looked.

Amazon Amazon

Old 05-21-2018, 09:27 PM
Received 374 Likes on 341 Posts
I was talking about cheap ebay LED's which dont require a ballast. I get 2 for $5 bucks. Havent had one fail or start blinking yet. They have a nice white color but dont put out much light beyond 5 feet.

Old 05-21-2018, 10:33 PM
I'd prefer something in between ! Going the "cheap eBay" route is fine but if the bulbs only last 6 months or even a year, I'd still prefer not having to swap them out (doesn't always matter how easy it is either) too frequently. I played that game in previous cars using those 'extra bright' halogen bulbs from GE, Sylvania, etc. They're marginally brighter, but not enough to justify costing $50 vs $10, and worse, they never lasted more than 18 months. I went back to the $10 'standard' bulbs and they lasted 2-3x longer.

Looking at 9006-style LEDs on Amazon, I only see one name I recognize - JDM Astar. I bought some LEDs for my wife's car and have had to replaced (3) in less than a year already. LEDs are supposed to last years, right ? Even filtering the selection to 5-star ratings only, I still get 471 items to pick from... Almost all of them have these cooling fans, heat sinks, and so on. That's just something else to fail, isn't it ? Also, how are you sure they'll fit ?

Old 05-21-2018, 11:37 PM
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Hall Stevenson
I'd prefer something in between ! Going the "cheap eBay" route is fine but if the bulbs only last 6 months or even a year, I'd still prefer not having to swap them out (doesn't always matter how easy it is either) too frequently. I played that game in previous cars using those 'extra bright' halogen bulbs from GE, Sylvania, etc. They're marginally brighter, but not enough to justify costing $50 vs $10, and worse, they never lasted more than 18 months. I went back to the $10 'standard' bulbs and they lasted 2-3x longer.

Looking at 9006-style LEDs on Amazon, I only see one name I recognize - JDM Astar. I bought some LEDs for my wife's car and have had to replaced (3) in less than a year already. LEDs are supposed to last years, right ? Even filtering the selection to 5-star ratings only, I still get 471 items to pick from... Almost all of them have these cooling fans, heat sinks, and so on. That's just something else to fail, isn't it ? Also, how are you sure they'll fit ?
There's lots on amazon/ebay which are mostly cheaper chinese brand stuff. Most of the low quality - but seemingly good - ones produce bright light at the expense of longevity. More power to the LED's will get them brighter, but significantly hotter which reduces their lifespan. I did a ton of research before buying a couple sets directly from a supplier. PM if you have any questions about them, or if you're interested in a set, I have some I never got round to fitting in our other cars. Regarding their failure mode, the fans tend not to be the weak point, unless they're exposed to lots of debris like an exposed offroad fog light housing on a truck or something similar. Normally the LED eventually starts to get dim after a few years - as opposed to a regular filament bulb which just goes instantly. Also when you're looking out for them make sure they have some form of "anti-glare" or reflector on the bulb itself to direct the light in the same manner a halogen bulb does. That'll ensure it produces a proper beam pattern that won't cause glare to oncoming drivers on the road.

These ones (fog/high position - bottom) use Philips ZES LED chips as opposed to generic replica chips. I've been running them for the past 6 months or so, no problems at all, and they're always on whenever the low beams come on. The high beams from the LED's are phenomenal. I'm curious to get a D2R set and see how they perform for the low beams too. Crystal white light, fit perfect in the housing and they also don't have the bulky current drivers ("ballasts").

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fog light bulbs - Crystal Vision (Phillips)