The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Why is gas door on passenger side?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 10:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Why is gas door on passenger side?

I've had the last 3 generations of Nissan Maxima's and they had the gas door on the driver side (as god intended it to be).

So why is it on the passenger side with the G35? I always feel like i'm the only one facing in the opposite direction at the gas pumps. Why make us walk around to the other side to get fuel? Seems backwards to me.

I know, it's lame, but still makes me wonder every time i get gas.

Old 05-30-2005, 10:37 PM
My wife's Jaguar X type and my old BMW 540 both have the gas door on the right side so the G is not alone.

Old 05-30-2005, 10:39 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
Originally Posted by NorCalifG35
I've had the last 3 generations of Nissan Maxima's and they had the gas door on the driver side (as god intended it to be).

So why is it on the passenger side with the G35? I always feel like i'm the only one facing in the opposite direction at the gas pumps. Why make us walk around to the other side to get fuel? Seems backwards to me.

I know, it's lame, but still makes me wonder every time i get gas.
Not that it is the exact reason, but it is made in Japan, and the Skyline in Japan is RHD so the gas door is on the drivers side.

Old 05-30-2005, 10:45 PM
Originally Posted by tgenius
Not that it is the exact reason, but it is made in Japan, and the Skyline in Japan is RHD so the gas door is on the drivers side.
Well, that makes some sense. But if they can move the steering wheel over to left, why leave the gas door? LOL

I'm pretty sure my Maxima was built in Japan tho and they didnt leave the gas door on the passenger side...

Old 05-30-2005, 11:00 PM
My Subaru (02) has the door on the right. My I30 (99) had it on the left. Some older Jaguars had one on each side for the dual tanks, I believe. I have no idea why they are where they are-perhaps related to tank position? Location of other components? A desire to give us some exercise after long drives?

Old 05-30-2005, 11:05 PM
Actually the reason has to do with the fact that in a number of countries around the world ... Italy for example ... there are some gas stations that are situated right next to the street, and there isn't any place to pull-in like we do in the States.

So when you need gas you bascially park along side the curb ... and then grab the fuel hose and begin pumping. So having the fuel filler door on the right side of the vehicle is rather quite necessary. I think that you see many European brands with the door on the right.

Could they alter the location of the fuel filler door based on the country that the vehicle will be sold in? Well, I guess they could; but it's another engineering cost that may not be worth the effort or expense.

That's why there's that little "arrow" on the gas guage, reminding you which side the fuel filler door is located

Old 05-30-2005, 11:39 PM
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Saab "sells" passenger side fuel door as safety feature-if you need to fill up from container on the side of the road, you will not be hit by passing car.

Old 05-30-2005, 11:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
simply because it is opposite of the exhaust pipe and there is only so much room. I like it better on the passenger side that way you don't bang your door on the gas pump or the big gas pump protector cemented into the ground

Old 05-31-2005, 06:31 AM
Misanthropic nut-cracker
I'd be in great shape if the placement of my gas filler door was my biggest concern JBX

Old 05-31-2005, 08:35 AM
My '78 Fairmont had it located on the passenger's side, as do most Euro cars. The reasoning back then was that one is less likely to be side-swiped on the passenger side and hence less chance of filler damage and resultant fire.

Old 05-31-2005, 10:09 AM
Originally Posted by obender66
Saab "sells" passenger side fuel door as safety feature-if you need to fill up from container on the side of the road, you will not be hit by passing car.
Do they really sell it like that? It sounds really bogus. I've been driving for about 44 Years and ran out of gas once-after I'd been driving for less than a year, on my to pick my dad up from the commuter train station. It was across the street from a gas station. Running out of gas in the USA should almost never happen, unless your gas gauge is really, really off the mark (or if you are an inexperienced driver, and I make no excuses for my having run out, other than that, which is not an excuse).

Old 05-31-2005, 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by Mike995134

So when you need gas you bascially park along side the curb ... and then grab the fuel hose and begin pumping. So having the fuel filler door on the right side of the vehicle is rather quite necessary. I think that you see many European brands with the door on the right.

That's why there's that little "arrow" on the gas guage, reminding you which side the fuel filler door is located
That makes sense to have the gas door on the opposite side of the driver .. specially when filling gas on the curb side.

Don't forget that the steering wheel may be on the right side, but then some european countries drive on the left hand side of the road. So it is always better to have the gas door on the opposite side of the driver.

Here is a funny story. The day I got my G, I was driving home and the gas was low. By the time I made a deal and got out of the dealer, it was really really late. Infact they had closed and we were one of the last ones to leave the place (myself and the agent). Usually they give a full tank as a courtesy, but was too late as the manager had left.

So I leave the dealer and am looking for the nearest gas station. Found one and pulled over. My old car had the gas door on the left so I pulled accordingly. When I found that it was on the other side, made a U and came around. I forgot about the small arrow under the gas signal. OK pulled over and now it was time to figure out how to open the gas door. It did not have a small level under the driver seat. Then had to take out the manual and work out. G has a funny system, you unlock all the door and manually go and open the gas door. Most of the cars simply have a level under the drivers seat. They had to be different.

Once got a full tank, was laughing all the way home while enjoying the ride.

Old 05-31-2005, 10:49 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by NorCalifG35
...they had the gas door on the driver side (as god intended it to be).

So why is it on the passenger side with the G35?
Well, I guess that's proof enough. THERE IS NO GOD! Let chaos ensue! Rape and Pillage! Rape and Pillage!

Old 05-31-2005, 11:23 AM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
I was told the same 'safety standpoint' line when I bought my G.

Personally I think it's a holdover from the RHD cars in Japan. Cheaper to leave it than to move it so they left it alone.

It doesn't bother me - I would prefer a 'latch-pop' setup though - hate having to put my hands on the car to open the flap - especially after a wash & wax..

Old 05-31-2005, 11:56 AM
I like it on the passenger side, since there are so many other cars with it on the drivers side. I hate waiting in the lines for driver side pumps when the passenger side pumps are all open.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why is gas door on passenger side?