G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Aftermarket parts cheapen your G

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 03:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Aftermarket parts cheapen your G

Niko,
I hear where you're coming from, and agree *for the most part* - but not necessarily totally.
Personally, I have yet to see a set of rims - 18", 19", 20" or otherwise that looks better than the stock 18's - but that's just my taste. I have seen some that I think look good, but for the grand or better that you're gonna spend on 'em, I haven't seen a set yet that I think is even near worth it.
As for the body kits, most of 'em - IMHO - are trash. Specifically designed, and marketed to the ricer set. No thanks. Huge wings and ridiculous body cladding definitely cheapens the look of what is already a gorgeous automobile... sometimes less is more. But there are exceptions... A while back I saw a CB Coupe pic posted with some body kit (don't remember the make) that included a rather garish spoiler, yet looking at the whole thing on the car, I think it actually looked pretty good. Also, I'm absolutely with the crowd that thinks the G Coupe needs the factory spoiler, but if that's not for you (or whoever), there's a few lip spoilers out there (similar to the 350Z) that I think enhance the look of the car without diminishing the class of it. But heck, I'm even glad I didn't get the mudguards with mine, I think even as a factory option (standard now?) they look pitiful. The front lip is OK... but I'm not even sure about that - I'd like to see one in person before I decide.
Borla exhaust? Nah... it does too little (if it does anything at all) to justify the expense. Intakes? Some have even dynoed out to a LOSS of power, what's the point? Now, when the time comes that my warranty is about gone and I can afford it, supercharging is certainly something I'll consider - because that will result in a REAL power gain, and I see that as worthwhile. But all that said, and for the most part, I don't see many improvements that can be made over the car as it comes from the dealer - it's just that good - but that's just me, and my humble opinion.

2003 G35 Coupe 6MT Leather
Premium, Aero
"There is no spoon"

Old 08-26-2003, 04:02 PM

Niko,

You just have to accept that everyone here have a different taste. For example, i happen to think the factory spoiler look way too, i don't want to say it, but here it goes...ricey. Please don't flame me, I am just using this as example. For that reason, i got a spoiler that is less of a statement than factory. So in that sense, i can say that the factory spoiler from Infiniti actually lower the value of my car. But again, this is just my opinion. My point is, there is no such thing as lowering the value of the car. It just in the eye of the beholder whom see what the car value.

Another example, the skyline sticker, etc. As most of you probally know, our car in Japan is Nissan Skyline 350GT. I think most of people do it because it is a real skyline not a fake wana be. A lot of people bought the car because it has a heritage which is base on the skyline series, myself included. And say that rebadging g35 to skyline is distasteful, i think that is wrong. I can understand rebadge and put something like Corvette Z06 and so forth, that is pushing it.

Anyway, my 2 cents worth.

g35mt

Old 08-26-2003, 04:05 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

...In my opinion...

<hr></blockquote>

I think those were the most impt words you put in your original post and will probably help you answer your own question...

2003.5 CB Coupe 6MT
Pics

Old 08-26-2003, 04:58 PM

I think there isn't any harm in having an aftermarket Intake for a little more performance. Nicer wheels is not ricey if you make sure to get a wheel from a reputable company. I mean there is a reason why Mercedes-Benz offers wheels from AMG in its sport package option.

Also If I could find a clean lip kit that would improve on the lines of the G35C than I see no harm in that. I pray to god though I don't see a Battle Z kit or Invader Kit on a G35.

Old 08-26-2003, 05:50 PM

I'm not into much mods myself. The only thing I changed were the wheels (20" Maido GR5) and Eibach Springs. I don't have the wing because in my opinion it takes away from the lines of the car. I really like the Data Systems wing or the Impul one. Also in my opinion, when you look at stock, people tend to say, "wow what a nice car," when you look a the same car with wheels such as mine or other 19's or 20's, people tend to say "Dammmmnnnnnnnnnnnnnn." I wanted the Damn factor, and I got it.... Hey I live in California, so you have to step up sometimes or you'll get lost in the crowd. I still love the stock 18's but 20's just do it for me, depending on the style of course. I also agree that the body kits out except for the Impul one and the Data Systems one are ugly and too much for the coupe. But again it's my opinion. Niko I think that our car is beautiful, but more so it has potential. You don't need much on this car to get the Dammmmnnnnnn Factor... Wheels and a drop...

Old 08-26-2003, 06:02 PM

IMO I like kits just as long as it's tasteful. I just purchased the stillen front lip and I think it's pretty cool. If you say my G is riced out, so be it. Everyone has their own opinion. If kits are ricey then a bunch of my friends Porche's and Mercedes are riced out as well. All in all I don't think kits cheapen the car depending what kit it is.

Old 08-26-2003, 06:08 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I don't mean to knock anyone- like you all said,whatever floats your boat- but when we are driving a car such as ours- we are in a different leage than others- We are now above the Nissan's. Mitsubishi, and Toyota's. We are different- how many G's are there out there compared to other cars?

<hr></blockquote>

Don't get me wrong, I love my G... it's the best car I've ever owned... but in my opinion, thinking the G is in a league above Nissan, Toyota, Mitsubishi, etc. is simply out of the desire to have "snob" factor. Remember, the G is the exact same car (except for right hand drive and some other minor details) as the the Nissan Skyline in Japan. The only reason it is under the Infiniti name here in the U.S. is for marketing strategy.

Personally, I don't care about leagues. All I really care is that I got a car that is sporty, has excellent performance out of the box, has a bit of luxury and for now looks unique out there on the road. It could have been sold under the Nissan badge and I still would have bought it.

Old 08-26-2003, 07:42 PM
Supa Dupa Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are two types of mods. Appearance and performance. I'm not one for performance mods since I'm not a racer. I just wanted a car that could "go" not "fly" or crawl. Most of my mods have been appearance mods. Sure people have called them rice or ugly, but I don't give two $hits. It seems a lot of people are doing things to stand out/be different. I'm doing things that make me appreciate the car more or what I think enhances the car. I only post them on here for the select few that can dig my enhancements and would like to try them on their cars. So whether the mod is subtle, like tinted windows, or extreme (knight rider light/blue clearance light) all that matters is if I enjoy owning my car a little more.

Anyone know where I can find a blue indiglo Infiniti rear badge? j/k... well, no not really. Ok, maybe just a little.

---------------------------------
http://www.anythingbox.net

Old 08-26-2003, 07:50 PM

Absolutely. i feel the same way. the G is so beautiful already. After having it 7 months i still sit and just look at it. Yes i too have added some exterior mods to be different. Like a knight rider light. When it is parked i feel it looks soo good. Almost as is the car is thinking. The red LEDs really accentuate My ivory pearl too. I hate the drastic body kits. Yes they are different but in some cases just too much. It's ironic the japanese stress the importance of being simple and then the kits that are being put on their cars are gawdy and over designed. how many curves do you need? i am enhancing the engine with the intake and probably ecu to get a little mor epower and also increase the volume of the music that belts from the exhaust. I love th esound of our G's it's so perfect and clean!

Old 08-26-2003, 08:55 PM
G35driver.com Moderator

this whole topic is way too subjective. we all have our own tastes, i dont like artificially made cherry flavor blowpops

<font color=green>-Rambo</font color=green>
G35c 6MT DG/Willow/HyperGround/BorlaExhaust

Old 08-26-2003, 09:33 PM

Niko, I just want to let you know that our Infiniti G35 is called Nissan Skyline 350GT (V35) in Japan. The reason I choose Infiniti G35 is because I used to drive Nissan Skyline 25GT-turbo (R34) in my home country. Nissan Skyline 25GT-turbo is one generation before Nissan Skyline 350GT ( our G35). I think the Skyline badges doesn't make the car looks cheaper. Skyline is one of the best sport car ever made, and it's also a Legendary sport car in Japan, even the previous Skyline has better Engine than Our G's. One thing you should know, As far as i know, I think Infiniti is under Nissan company. If there is no Nissan, there should be no Infiniti. I just got my G's a few days ago and I agree about your opinion about external mod. the OEM mods has better look than the aftermarket mods that available on the market, it just because there is no better aftermarket mods yet available.

Old 08-26-2003, 09:39 PM

Per Niko: "We are now above the Nissan's. Mitsubishi, and Toyota's"

Niko if you look at the parts on your so-called "Infiniti" you will notice that they all say Nissan, besides the badging. Case in point look under your side view mirrors there you will see Nissan. Sure is hard to be above a Nissan when the car you drive is a Nissan!

Project SEMA G35 visit:
http://hometown.aol.com/djgcue

Old 08-26-2003, 11:41 PM

Thats a great point djcue. I dont think I have seen anything under the hood that says infiniti on it. Even on the door it says nissan (the white sticker). Infiniti was just invened for americans to make them believe they drive a car above above the Nissan's. Mitsubishi, and Toyota's. Guess you fell for it. I drive an "American Nissan" and damn happy with that.

Old 08-26-2003, 11:45 PM

"i dont like artificially made cherry flavor blowpops"

LMAO...aint that the truth!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket parts cheapen your G