The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Aftermarket parts cheapen your G

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 12:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i jus got nismo bumper...doesnt look ricey looks pretty similar to stock but i can tell diff....impul, ings look good also .kenstyle front

Old 06-28-2006, 10:13 AM
No one said buying a G was an investment. It's a damn boondoggle, a toy, a hobby. Enjoyment is derived from driving and modding the way people like to customize their own whip, ride, showcar, their Big Swinging D1ck (BSD). Practicality and resale values are least on people's minds when they are into this. So I respect your opinion, but if you don't understand the root cause for others to mod their Gs, then I think you are missing a big part of the G experience.

Old 06-29-2006, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by Niko
No disrepect here, but I don't know why so many people are into these aftermarket rims, body kits, rear spoilers, etc.for the G.- In my opinion, anything you add on which is not manufactured by Infiniti is cheapining the look of your car. Other than a light window tint, I cant see putting American Racing wheels on my car, or a ricer styled bodykit which belongs on a Civic, or even changing the exhaust to a Borla when the stock exhaust sounds and looks better. For 5hp?? To me, the perfect G is one which has every option available from the dealer- the 18" wheels, the Infiniti rear spoiler, etc. Once you go aftermarket for a car like ours, then youv'e just dropped it down a level. Does anyone feel the same as me or is it just because I didn't eat my cheerios this morning???

2003 Black/Willow Coupe- Aero/Sport/Prem
Definately do not feel the same way.

Old 06-29-2006, 04:52 PM
Personally, I think if your modifying a G then it should be a twin turbo. Other things are simply overkill. The styling is superior to most other cars in its class. Wheels can accent the car well, but the stock 18s are not bad at all. I personally like them. Most of the body kits Ive seen with the exception of the INGs are all overkill.

Old 06-29-2006, 11:48 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
No offence too.. but it pays to do it right, as long as ppl do it right, I always consider that as an UPGRADE as opposed to cheapening

No disrepect here, but I don't know why so many people are into these aftermarket rims, body kits, rear spoilers, etc.for the G.- In my opinion, anything you add on which is not manufactured by Infiniti is cheapining the look of your car. Other than a light window tint, I cant see putting American Racing wheels on my car, or a ricer styled bodykit which belongs on a Civic, or even changing the exhaust to a Borla when the stock exhaust sounds and looks better. For 5hp?? To me, the perfect G is one which has every option available from the dealer- the 18" wheels, the Infiniti rear spoiler, etc. Once you go aftermarket for a car like ours, then youv'e just dropped it down a level. Does anyone feel the same as me or is it just because I didn't eat my cheerios this morning???

2003 Black/Willow Coupe- Aero/Sport/Prem

Old 06-30-2006, 04:30 AM
no offense to anyone dont get me wrong i luv g's but stock g's are slow and suck..... mod mod mod

Old 06-30-2006, 02:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Financially speaking, for the most part, modding ANY car "cheapens" it, i.e. lowers the resale value, or does not improve the resale value relative to the money you put into it. Why do you think you see so many posts in the marketplace saying, "returning my car to stock, aftermarket items for sale". They know that they will get very little, if any, extra money by selling the car with mods on it than by returning it to stock. This has been proven time and time again. I ate about $6k on my Vette I recently sold. It had a new engine, AFR 190 heads, cam, and every bolt on on from the air filter to the exhaust tips. I expected this, it was not a surprise, but I can't say I liked it. I got no extra money out of it than if it had the factory engine. However, I enjoyed every second of the 6 years that I owned it. The education that I received from building the engine and doing almost all the work myself was worth more than the $6k I spent on it. I now can do whatever I want to any car I ever own and not have to spend money for other people to do it for me. Above that, it's very rewarding to do it myself and know that my car is the way it is because of my hand, not somebody I wrote a check to.

That being said, I think that you should do whatever it is that YOU enjoy doing. If you love to wrench on your car, making permanent mods, then do so. If you enjoy driving it the way it is, then drive the hell out of it. If you like garnering the attention of others with loud pipes, ground scraping body kits and colorful graphics (well, maybe no graphics on a G ), then by all means, bolt that sh*t on and roll.

Do what makes YOU happy. That's what life is about - making yourself and those you love happy.

Old 07-01-2006, 07:41 AM
I don't see how getting aftermarket rims woud lower the value of your car. If you get the right ones, they will be better quality, look more "unique," and many times help with performance. Then when you want to sell/trade in your car, just switch back the wheels and put the aftermarket rims on your new car or sell them for cheap to a friend. The biggest aftermarket mod I would want is wheels, but I can't afford it so I upgraded from the oem 17s to oem 18s. As far as other mods, I agree with your view. Theres nothing like a really nice, car that looks good without mods. i.e. supercars

Old 07-01-2006, 09:19 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
but when we are driving a car such as ours- we are in a different leage than others- We are now above the Nissan's. Mitsubishi, and Toyota's. We are different-
Please help me understand this comment... does this mean because you drive an entry-level luxury car, you are above Toyota, Mitsubishi and Nissan drivers? Or are you just trying to say that because the car is for a more mature crowd, the people buying these cars should be mature enought to not mod them with crazy kits, etc... keep in mind that this same car is very cheap in Japan, about as nice to them as a Malibu is to us... and their version of this car has more features at that. (Yes, it's a Skyline, but no, it is not a GTR)

Also, please understand that ricers come in all shapes and sizes, rich or not... so don't be surprised to see a riced out G, whatever it is that you would consider to be "rice". And by that, I even mean that I wouldn't be surprised to see a G that appears to be sponsored by Nike or Reebok by the proudly displayed banners everywhere either...

how many G's are there out there compared to other cars? Not many
I see tons of G35s where I'm at... it's like everyone and their mamas have one.

Damn... just noticed how old this thread is...

Last edited by dofu; 07-01-2006 at 09:22 AM.
Old 07-01-2006, 09:56 AM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dTor
Financially speaking, for the most part, modding ANY car "cheapens" it, i.e. lowers the resale value, or does not improve the resale value relative to the money you put into it. Why do you think you see so many posts in the marketplace saying, "returning my car to stock, aftermarket items for sale". They know that they will get very little, if any, extra money by selling the car with mods on it than by returning it to stock. This has been proven time and time again. I ate about $6k on my Vette I recently sold. It had a new engine, AFR 190 heads, cam, and every bolt on on from the air filter to the exhaust tips. I expected this, it was not a surprise, but I can't say I liked it. I got no extra money out of it than if it had the factory engine. However, I enjoyed every second of the 6 years that I owned it. The education that I received from building the engine and doing almost all the work myself was worth more than the $6k I spent on it. I now can do whatever I want to any car I ever own and not have to spend money for other people to do it for me. Above that, it's very rewarding to do it myself and know that my car is the way it is because of my hand, not somebody I wrote a check to.

That being said, I think that you should do whatever it is that YOU enjoy doing. If you love to wrench on your car, making permanent mods, then do so. If you enjoy driving it the way it is, then drive the hell out of it. If you like garnering the attention of others with loud pipes, ground scraping body kits and colorful graphics (well, maybe no graphics on a G ), then by all means, bolt that sh*t on and roll.

Do what makes YOU happy. That's what life is about - making yourself and those you love happy.
^+1

I agree. Interestingly of all the 24 or so cars I've owned this is the first I've done any modding to. Not much, but stuff like Z springs, DSpecs, Stillen sways, Ztube, K&N and spacer, grounding, SS shifter, light tint, '06 sport bumper etc. I have found it was infectious, once I started I wanted just a little something else.

Since the OE G is so beautiful I prefer to keep the general look of the car stock. Where I live the G coupe is a fairly rare car to begin with so that influences my decision to do minimal mods. My aim is to have one that is slightly unique with subtle, reliable and tasteful changes/upgrades for performance, handling and looks.

Overall beauty is in the eye of the beholder and everyone has different priorities and tastes. The common bond we share is the love of cars and especially our G's.

Old 07-04-2006, 01:33 AM
Personally I prefer low profile mods. I love the look on other drivers faces after I mop them up in a sedan that looks stock to the untrained eye.

Old 07-04-2006, 11:17 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by dofu
keep in mind that this same car is very cheap in Japan, about as nice to them as a Malibu is to us... and their version of this car has more features at that. (Yes, it's a Skyline, but no, it is not a GTR)
Ummmm, the G35 is a Nissan Skyline over in Japan, but it's hardly a "Malibu" over there. The cars sells for nearly the same price. Cars that are like Malibus over there are Corolla, Sentras, etc. Skylines are still very sought after on that end of the world and most people really can't afford the car. Just because the car is made over there doesn't mean it's going to be signficantly cheaper. Exporting the car only costs about $700-800.

Old 07-05-2006, 11:05 PM
When I first bought my G I thought it was the nicest car on the road, but after a few months "the honeymoon was over". The car just kept getting more and more "blah" as the days went by. Since then I've dropped about 15g's into this car and it is BADA$$!! I've installed EVERY bolton part (w/ a Unichip), and used the best (AMUSE, HKS, Nismo, etc.) It's much faster, fun to drive, and gorgeous! Quite frankly stock G's bore me know. The car gets way more attention now then when I first bought it, from 13yr. old punks to 60yr. old grandpa's. Some mods are nice, and some are rice. I don't have a problem with modding the G, just do it tastefully! Keeping the car looking sexy enough to drive around to visit clients without making them think your some kind of a$$hat is the key. Check my ride out here ----> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2154406

Old 07-06-2006, 01:55 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
Ummmm, the G35 is a Nissan Skyline over in Japan, but it's hardly a "Malibu" over there. The cars sells for nearly the same price. Cars that are like Malibus over there are Corolla, Sentras, etc. Skylines are still very sought after on that end of the world and most people really can't afford the car. Just because the car is made over there doesn't mean it's going to be signficantly cheaper. Exporting the car only costs about $700-800.
For about 10k USD, you can get a used R32 GTR, a used R33 GTS-T, or a slightly used Skyline (G35)... Tell me again that the car is that great over there, please... remember, it is NOT a GTR... You're comparing a Lancer to an EVO...

Old 07-06-2006, 06:50 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Nate_Johnson17
When I first bought my G I thought it was the nicest car on the road, but after a few months "the honeymoon was over". The car just kept getting more and more "blah" as the days went by. Since then I've dropped about 15g's into this car and it is BADA$$!! I've installed EVERY bolton part (w/ a Unichip), and used the best (AMUSE, HKS, Nismo, etc.) It's much faster, fun to drive, and gorgeous! Quite frankly stock G's bore me know. The car gets way more attention now then when I first bought it, from 13yr. old punks to 60yr. old grandpa's. Some mods are nice, and some are rice. I don't have a problem with modding the G, just do it tastefully! Keeping the car looking sexy enough to drive around to visit clients without making them think your some kind of a$$hat is the key. Check my ride out here ----> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2154406
+1. Stock G's bore the me as well. I never get excited when I see a stock G. Also, in the town where I live not many people modify their G's, so having a modified one truly sets me apart from the rest. Modifying is a way to personalize, and the value is in the eye of the beholder.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket parts cheapen your G