The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Aftermarket parts cheapen your G

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 08:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gary c
I might have guessed some of you came from the Honda pasture and this was your first Nissan vehicle. The S2K is a cute car but doesn't come close to my previous '92 300ZXTT, not in handling or speed and definitely not in the fun factor either. I've come close with my mods to making my G handle almost as well after a few $$....
Gary
I was actually a die-hard Nissan fan ( the first car I ever remember wanting was a 300ZXTT my friend's neighbor had ) who bought a Honda just to try it.

The S2000 doesn't have the torque of a Z32, but it will run circles around one. It's a cute car until you're having to point it by on the track. That goes for Miatas as well.

Have you ever driven one? Its gearbox is half the reason I like the car. Honda pieces make Nissan gearboxes downright sloppy. Not to mention it's an absolute scalpel to drive. Excellent car.

Old 08-28-2010, 01:31 PM
Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts
I feel that some of the mods ppl do on driver are a bit excessive but some(MD spacer) are a must. They fix problems with the g from the factory. And OP how do you feel about NISMO parts, they are made by Nissan/Infiniti???

Old 08-28-2010, 02:47 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jibberjabbers
Better driving car.... I had an S2k. Which shifts smoother, hugs the corner, redlines all day w/o burning a qt of oil. I think the S2k is a better driving car.

Actually, after I got the popping noises fixed, the G isn't that bad of a drive. The only problem now are the scratches and interior damage the idiots did to my car while they were fixing the problems.

I wouldn't redline my 6mt though.
Why wouldnt you redline your G?

Old 08-28-2010, 04:27 PM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by smoovarrowhead
Why wouldnt you redline your G?
hes afraid to drive it hard

Old 08-28-2010, 04:31 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
maybe he is refering to the way the vq35 feels sorta thrashy at redline

i used to redline my rsx constantly, i dont really feel the need to redline the g, feels better to shift at like 5k unless im racing something

Old 08-28-2010, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by walshtj
I feel that some of the mods ppl do on driver are a bit excessive but some(MD spacer) are a must. They fix problems with the g from the factory. And OP how do you feel about NISMO parts, they are made by Nissan/Infiniti???
I like nismo parts. They're like OEM+. That's the thing with alot of aftermarket parts you buy. They're more or less experiments that may or may not last 1000 miles depending on what the part is. Nissan R&Ds all of these parts and the S-tune parts even work with the factory warranty.

Nismo parts on a G though? Meh. Why? It's a luxo barge.
That's the funny thing about the G ( and why it's a decent car coincedentally ). It's not serious enough as a sporting vehicle to do worthwhile drivability modifications, but it's not luxo enough to do luxo modifications, like VIP styled if you will. So mine stays stock.

Not really great at anything, but decent at everything to be a successful vehicle.

Old 08-28-2010, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by usafdarkhorse
Nismo parts on a G though? Meh. Why? It's a luxo barge.
That's the funny thing about the G ( and why it's a decent car coincedentally ). It's not serious enough as a sporting vehicle to do worthwhile drivability modifications, but it's not luxo enough to do luxo modifications, like VIP styled if you will. So mine stays stock.

Not really great at anything, but decent at everything to be a successful vehicle.
the g sedan is lighter then the 350z roadster and since the suspension is interchangable and the drivetrain is basically the same I don't see why the G is any less sporting then the z roadster, which I doubt anyone would have second thoughts about putting nismo parts on. even the track 350z isn't much lighter then the g(150lbs maybe), i mean unless you think the 350z is a luxo barge

the g is more sporty (it might be a bit softer, but its rear wheel drive) then an altima se-r or se-r spec v, no one would think twice about nismo parts on those

Old 08-28-2010, 05:41 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
This thread is 7.5 years old, is it really worth posting your opinions because the members that don't have the $$ to mod will always be against any upgrades or changes? I don't have any t-shirts this old, they're worn out too and thankfully gone to the rag bin....
Gary

Old 08-28-2010, 06:34 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
driving the car new off the lot cheapens it more than anything... 20% loss within a fraction of a mile...

Must mean buying new is pointless... because that depreciation is far greater than any mod will be.

Some of us prefer new... some of us prefer custom... to those that dont, fine - but I dont see threads started about people being boring for having a stock car.

This thread was pointless when it started and even more pointless to continue this long...

Old 08-28-2010, 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by Hammerhead i-Eagle Thrust
the g sedan is lighter then the 350z roadster and since the suspension is interchangable and the drivetrain is basically the same I don't see why the G is any less sporting then the z roadster, which I doubt anyone would have second thoughts about putting nismo parts on. even the track 350z isn't much lighter then the g(150lbs maybe), i mean unless you think the 350z is a luxo barge

the g is more sporty (it might be a bit softer, but its rear wheel drive) then an altima se-r or se-r spec v, no one would think twice about nismo parts on those
See I would consider the 350Z roadster to be a barge also haha. The coupes? No. Because there's alot to be said about chassis rigidity and suspension geometry that really favors the 350Z over the G as far as performance is concerned. It's the way they were designed mostly. The 350Z was designed to be a sportscar. The G, a sporty luxo car. Do the same things to both cars and you will get a different result.

Not knocking the G really. It's a great car. I just look at putting nismo parts on one the same way as if it were a Q45. I personally wouldn't find modding an SE-R pointful either unless I was specifically trying to track the car ( heck it may be a decent FWD performer and worthwhile to invest in a nice set of sways and tires ).

Take it for what it's worth though. Just my opinion.
Not trying to cause divides here.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by OCG35

Must mean buying new is pointless...
It kind of is haha.

I don't think mods cheapen the value of a car. I just think it reduces your pool of available buyers when you go to sell the car.

I don't believe it gives the car any value however.

I think the discussion is pretty decent. It must be for having gone on so long. I'm interested in hearing the opinions.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:44 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
^^^ depends on who's doing the buying I guess... I prefer new and dont mind paying more...

The entire topic is no different than art for example... some pieces are completely worthless to some, yet others pay boatloads for the same piece.

Religion, politics and modding = no right answer and who cares about someone else opinion on it unless it directly affects you... there isn't one opinion in this thread other than mine that makes any difference to my car... and I'm sure that can be said for every person out here for their own car, modded or stock.

Edit: BTW, this thread hasn't been going on for 7+ years... its just 7+ years old... so no, its not "around" because it's so intriguing... in fact there are more than three times as many posts in the last three months as there were in the first three years... someone resurrected it from a three year old bump.

I guess its the sign of the times when a car starts having so many "used" options available... there are sh!tloads of threads and posts these days that never existed in the first couple-few years this car was out... kinda sad actually... that alone makes me want to buy a new car (that hasn't been out for long)... its a whole different community.

Last edited by OCG35; 08-28-2010 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:12 PM
Received 194 Likes on 135 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c
This thread is 7.5 years old, is it really worth posting your opinions because the members that don't have the $$ to mod will always be against any upgrades or changes? I don't have any t-shirts this old, they're worn out too and thankfully gone to the rag bin....
Gary
+1,000,000 can't believe this thread is still alive and going our opinions aren't going to change anyone's mind about modding either you like it or don't /rant

Old 08-28-2010, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by usafdarkhorse
See I would consider the 350Z roadster to be a barge also haha. The coupes? No. Because there's alot to be said about chassis rigidity and suspension geometry that really favors the 350Z over the G as far as performance is concerned. It's the way they were designed mostly. The 350Z was designed to be a sportscar. The G, a sporty luxo car. Do the same things to both cars and you will get a different result.
i'm just not sure how true that is. the z has front and rear strut bars which you can easily add to a g, g sedan has like 52/48 weight balance, the z can't really be much better. I would be curious to see how it would end up.

if you just compare them on paper (03 g35 coupe vs 04 350z, i would compare the g sedan but they used an auto with 215/55-17 goodyear eagle gs-d)

60-0 braking
g35 112ft 350z 113ft

600 ft slalom
g35 67.1mph 350z 68mph

skidpad
g35 .87 350z .87

1/4 mile
g35 14.23 @ 99.4 350z 13.77 @ 100.94

biggest difference was the 1/4 mile which is just from the weight difference really and I think it may be slightly exagerated, motor trend also got 14.28 @ 100.3 when they tested the 03 g35 sedan 6mt

really both cars dyno about the same despite the claimed 27hp difference, the z will always be a step or 2 ahead due to the weight, but I think you can easily make a g outperform a stock z

there is a far larger gap between the g37 and the 370z