The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Aftermarket parts cheapen your G

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 12:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket parts cheapen your G

No disrepect here, but I don't know why so many people are into these aftermarket rims, body kits, rear spoilers, etc.for the G.- In my opinion, anything you add on which is not manufactured by Infiniti is cheapining the look of your car. Other than a light window tint, I cant see putting American Racing wheels on my car, or a ricer styled bodykit which belongs on a Civic, or even changing the exhaust to a Borla when the stock exhaust sounds and looks better. For 5hp?? To me, the perfect G is one which has every option available from the dealer- the 18" wheels, the Infiniti rear spoiler, etc. Once you go aftermarket for a car like ours, then youv'e just dropped it down a level. Does anyone feel the same as me or is it just because I didn't eat my cheerios this morning???

2003 Black/Willow Coupe- Aero/Sport/Prem

Old 08-26-2003, 12:27 PM
Re: Aftermarket parts cheapen your G

I actually feel mostly the same way. The only mod I have seriously considered is the Borla but only becuase it is so subtly different from the stock exhaust in both appearance and sound. Looking at the current body kits I can say I have absolutely no desire to stick one of those things on my G...not knocking anyone who does, but my personal view is that they look tacky. It seems a lot of people buy aftermarket appearance mods just to be different, and don't really think about whether it really enhances the beauty of the car.

Old 08-26-2003, 12:28 PM

everyone has their own tastes. me, i like the sleek, clean look of the coupe with no rear spoiler.

some mods on this board are quite excessive.

Old 08-26-2003, 12:46 PM

I think you need to make sure your get your cheerios in the morning.

Obviously, it's a matter of opinion and preference. To make a general statement that ANY aftermarket mod cheapens the look of the G is ridiculous. Some mods look good, some preposterous, and some performance mods you can't even see.

What looks good to one G owner may look "rice" to another. It's been said time and time again on these forums... it's "whatever floats your boat". If you like the stock clean look that's your thing. But if another G owner wants to throw on a Veilside kit or Volk rims to individualize, you may think that it makes the car look cheaper but that's simply your opinion. My opinion is keep an open mind.

Old 08-26-2003, 12:47 PM

Hi:

I tend to go for the stock look also. However a lot of people like to 'personalize' their cars. It's amazing to see what they come up with! And a big plus is that it creates a whole industry of parts and accessories, one of which just might be the ticket for you! There is the axiom: "Variety is the spice of life." which is the American way.

6 MT DP

Old 08-26-2003, 12:49 PM

I hear you as far as the exterior appearance, the body kits currently available are all shitty, all of them. But I will definatelly put on some nice 19s. And as far as performance mods go, If you are happy with stock, good for you. The G is a nice car but it aint no ferrari that there is no reason for modding it, if that is what you choose to do. I will be modding my G, and if you think that will lower it a level .... well my level lower G will smoke your stock upper level G with no question. As far as acceleration, handling, cornering etc. And also I can bet that a nicely (tastefully) modded G with some sweet rims will get more looks than a stock one, no question.

Old 08-26-2003, 12:52 PM

so do u feel the same about nismo parts as well?

'03 G35 Sedan: ivory/aero body/sport/sunroof
Warning: Objects in mirror are FASTER than they appear

Old 08-26-2003, 01:08 PM
gsg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree. I'm still not even so sure about the factory spoiler (which my car came with).
The one I really don't get is de-badging or re-badging, what's the point of that???

Old 08-26-2003, 01:12 PM

Yeah debadging I can see for a cleaner look, but I never got the whole skyline/nissan badging thing.

Old 08-26-2003, 01:19 PM

To each their own..... If you feel that an unmodified car is best, then by all means, keep yours stock.

If others feel the need to mod, then do it. Really, who cares?

Personally, the only thing I would do to a G35 Coupe would be tint and possibly rims, although I really like the stock 18's, so maybe not.

Old 08-26-2003, 01:48 PM

I only have one thing to say...
"Friends don't let friends drive stock"
If you live in Cali, you either mod or follow the lemmings.
Darn...that was two things.

Old 08-26-2003, 01:57 PM

There's that "must be different" mentality...why do people have to assert their individuality through modifications on their car? Fact is, when you and 300 other people have Veilside body kits, you're no less of a lemming than anyone else.

Old 08-26-2003, 02:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I consider myself one of the bigger snobs here and generally agree with your tastes. I also agree with your assessment in a very literal sense: modded cars lose market value, and a large and active aftermarket scene is not associated with expensive vehicles. I do, however, disagree with you on the desirability of performance mods that are not cries for attention, such as almost anything that goes in the engine compartment. I also think that mesh wheels are classier than the stock wheels, so long as they don't ooze chrome down the sidewall, and I'm hoping that the Borla gives me a richer and less raspy exhaust note. Theoretically even a body kit can be classy if you start with a badly styled car, but the market for these usually isn't into subtlety, they want the money they spent to be noticed.

So anyway, yeah, there are those of us that share similar tastes, but there's not alot of mileage you can get out of "I did NOTHING to my car today -- pics attached" posts. It's sort of along the lines of "the paint on my car is not chipping -- what's wrong?" And I'm not going to lose sleep over the mod squad. A G with a tacky body kit is still better than most cars allowed on the road. Reforming the atrocious musical tastes of Koreans is a far more worthwhile and humanitarian goal.

-Jack
Obsidian '03 G35 Sports Coupe
Titanium '03 MX-5 Shinsen #532

Old 08-26-2003, 02:46 PM

OK, let me clarify a bit- as far as internal mods- I don't see a problem with that- if you want to beef up the performance and increase the horsepower- I'm all for it. I was talking more about the external part of the car. I've heard and seen some things on this site I cant really relate to, such as the "black chroming"- why take away from the beauty of chrome? It's classic beauty. And I think it was the Nismo rear spoiler which didn't go with the lines of the car at all. I also saw someone paint the front grill chrome- to me looks awefull- Even the mud guards- on a sports car??I don't mean to knock anyone- like you all said,whatever floats your boat- but when we are driving a car such as ours- we are in a different leage than others- We are now above the Nissan's. Mitsubishi, and Toyota's. We are different- how many G's are there out there compared to other cars? Not many- and to have the same color is rare too. I'm sure in time there will be many more G's out there- but to start putting parts on the car which do not say "Infiniti" on them gives them a less elegant look.
I love the 18" wheels on my car and absolutly love the rear spoiler that came with it. I wouldn't have it any other way. The only add ons I have made are as follows: Chrome Infiniti License plate holders, Infiniti valve stem covers, wheel locks, aluminum pedals installed at the dealer, and the Infiniti all season weather mats. I would love to have a super charger put in, but then it would make it more difficult to be a daily driver. I have been debating for 6 months now if I should get tints or not.

2003 Black/Willow Coupe- Aero/Sport/Prem

Old 08-26-2003, 03:27 PM

In large part, the anti-mod sentiment is correct (at least from the resale perspective). The only guy who wants to buy a heavily-modded car is another person in the same age bracket - this drastically reduces the buyer pool for your car - not a good idea.

As for the mods themselves, I think that as long as they're done with a tasteful vision in mind, they come out looking good. It's the ones where people add gaudy-looking spoilers, rims and tires that clearly don't fit the car, add on some mass-produced street-sweeper "aero" kit, etc that really detract from the car.

Of course, my favorite (non-)mod is stickers. Tape does nothing to improve the performance of your car ,unless you bind yourself up with it and let Helio Castroneves drive!

-- mike

2003 G35C 6MT Leather, BS, Prem

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket parts cheapen your G