G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Stillen cai & z-tube solves high elevation performance loss.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 01:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stillen cai & z-tube solves high elevation performance loss.

I posted this earlier and it seems to have disappeared or been moved somewhere? Anyway, I searched for answers on this forum to my new AT Coupe's dissapointing performance here in New Mexico at 6,000 feet elevation and found nothing....But I did find a lot of good info on the Stillen CAI airbox and the Z-tube....SO, I tried them and it works!
The high altitude anemia is gone...and the performance is back that I experienced when I test drove a G35 Coupe down in Phoenix at only 1,000 ft. elevation.
For you G35 Coupe guys in New Mexico, Colorado and elsewhere, try it, you will like it....

Old 06-03-2006, 02:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your previous thread is in the tech section of reviews--where it belongs--If mod's didn't do this the coupe section would be a mess--interesting observation on the stillen hfab however...

Last edited by jonnylaw; 06-03-2006 at 03:41 AM.
Old 06-03-2006, 02:28 AM
Ouch! Well I can see technical stuff that only a few are interested in being directed over to a more techy area of the forum, like cams, valves, headwork etc.....I was looking for an answer to an elevation problem, and solved it using very common modifications,, which I found in this section.
No one could answer my questions whether this would work or not,,,yet several owners, from New Mexico, shared my grief. They may see this result here in the coupe section,,but I doubt they will go searching into these more technical areas for this less than technical solution.
Aren't these type of problems and solutions what the majority of coupe owners on this forum are interested in,,,,?

Old 06-03-2006, 03:26 AM
Originally Posted by Fourlix
Ouch! Well I can see technical stuff that only a few are interested in being directed over to a more techy area of the forum, like cams, valves, headwork etc.....I was looking for an answer to an elevation problem, and solved it using very common modifications,, which I found in this section.
No one could answer my questions whether this would work or not,,,yet several owners, from New Mexico, shared my grief. They may see this result here in the coupe section,,but I doubt they will go searching into these more technical areas for this less than technical solution.
Aren't these type of problems and solutions what the majority of coupe owners on this forum are interested in,,,,?
ok, but now the mod's are going to have to delete one of your duplicate threads--Did you not notice your thread was moved to the review section--that's basically what your post is about. Why does your opinion on an intake benefit deserve special treatment in the coupe section and be available in 2 places (you drove two different cars at different altitudes w/ no real evidence to back up your theory?--I'm sure slapping a supercharger on your G would allevaite any performance loss due to elevation as well--but does such a post belong in 2 sections of this forum?) Do you always let your butt do all the talking? Point in fact, just recently, I posted a thread about a bee racing titanium intake in the coupe section because I thought it would get more attention there--but the mods moved it to the intake section where it belongs, and when they did, instead of duplicating it again in the coupe section--which you did--I said to myself that I should have posted it there originally, and now feel content that it found its home in the correct place, according to the moderators on this message board, who gracially keep this forum neat and workable, for members just like you...btw, welcome to the forum

Last edited by jonnylaw; 06-03-2006 at 03:43 AM.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:42 AM
I just got a K&N and Z-tube on my 6MT coupe and it has fine acceleration. However, I never felt as if it was lagging to begin with. Perhaps it had something else to do with your car and not just the intake. My 2 cents.

Old 06-03-2006, 12:37 PM
Well Jonnylaw your name says it all....You must be some kind of cop, control freak, vigilante moderator or all of the above....
Fact is this is a "general discussion" area for the G35 coupe. My problem/question was about performance loss at elevation. The clues that I got from this forum came from this area,,,but no real answers. Since the question, appropriate to "general discussion" was posted in this area, it is certainly appropriate that the answer be posted here as well, and not moved off to some obscure tech area.
The question was general, the answer was intake. Without knowing the answer was intake, how would anyone know it was in that category and find it? It could have been a timing, air mass sensor, ecu or various other problem/solution.
Like airplanes, any type of forced induction, albeit pricey, unreliable and voiding the warranty, would solve the elevation problem, and are unacceptable solutions for the reasons I have given.
I drove 3 G35s in Phoenix, including mine, and have driven my car here, at 4,300 to 6,300 ft. with and without the CAI and Z-tube. In my opinion there is a substantial difference which compensates in large part for the loss due to elevation. I noticed that my previous vehicle, a Nissan Pathfinder with pretty much the same motor was also very sensitive to elevation and suffered performance loss due to elevation which was more noticable than other vehicles I have owned including two Porsches and a Ferrari.
As far as duplicate threads, I reposted not realizing that the thread had been moved. I thought it just didn't get posted in the first place. Seems the Moderators move a lot of threads on here without notifying anyone. So if your thread dissapears you have to go on an Easter egg hunt eh? Nice.

Old 06-03-2006, 03:03 PM
Well Jonnylaw your name says it all....You must be some kind of cop, control freak, vigilante moderator or all of the above....
Fact is this is a "general discussion" area for the G35 coupe. My problem/question was about performance loss at elevation. The clues that I got from this forum came from this area,,,but no real answers. Since the question, appropriate to "general discussion" was posted in this area, it is certainly appropriate that the answer be posted here as well, and not moved off to some obscure tech area.
The question was general, the answer was intake. Without knowing the answer was intake, how would anyone know it was in that category and find it? It could have been a timing, air mass sensor, ecu or various other problem/solution.
Like airplanes, any type of forced induction, albeit pricey, unreliable and voiding the warranty, would solve the elevation problem, and are unacceptable solutions for the reasons I have given.
I drove 3 G35s in Phoenix, including mine, and have driven my car here, at 4,300 to 6,300 ft. with and without the CAI and Z-tube. In my opinion there is a substantial difference which compensates in large part for the loss due to elevation. I noticed that my previous vehicle, a Nissan Pathfinder with pretty much the same motor was also very sensitive to elevation and suffered performance loss due to elevation which was more noticable than other vehicles I have owned including two Porsches and a Ferrari.
As far as duplicate threads, I reposted not realizing that the thread had been moved. I thought it just didn't get posted in the first place. Seems the Moderators move a lot of threads on here without notifying anyone. So if your thread dissapears you have to go on an Easter egg hunt eh? Nice.
Well, if you don't like the way things work on this board, there are others buddy. You and your 12 posts must be the almighty know-it-all of message boards, right? I'm not even going to touch your obvservations of myself (vigilante moderator---that's funny--I'm actually a law student) I find your observations funny.. Install a stillen exhaust (which won't void your warranty, and is cost-effective and I'm sure that will also solve any performance issues resulting from high elevation as well. Oh boy I better post 2 threads about that and complain to everyone when one gets moved...

Old 06-03-2006, 03:07 PM
how do you check your elevation? is there a site?

Old 06-03-2006, 03:10 PM
law student,,, that figures

Old 06-03-2006, 03:18 PM
law student,,, that figures
And what do you do sir that allows you to think you and your butt dyno know everything?

Old 06-03-2006, 07:46 PM
I've had my G for about 6weeks now. That would explain why I only have a dozen posts on here.
I came on here looking for answers, not to get into a pissing match with a punk law student. You seem to have appointed yourself hall monitor, which fits right in with your being a law student, and may very well be your day job.
I am a franchised powersport dealer. I deal with elevation issues relating to the ATVs, Motorcycles and Jet Skis I sell here at 6,000 feet elevation in Silver City, New Mexico on a daily basis.
There are many different problems and solutions as relate to the different models. It is not all about simple fuel/air and jetting as one might think. Even clutching and vacuum fuel pumps can be factors.
I was working in a motorcycle shop as a mechanic when I was 16 years old, that would be 1972. I am also a machinist and a welder. I have a B.A. from the University of Wyoming in History, studied art and politics and, get this, went to law school there for a brief stint. I hated law school and my peers, who were either nerds or dope fiends. "Shooting" crystal meth was popular among the law students. I couldn't stand being around any of them.
I worked construction in Los Angeles, California and built a successful cabinet and commercial fixture business there. I sold it and moved back to New Mexico to take care of my aging parents. Best decision I ever made, ranks right up there with leaving law school. My Dad died 10 years ago at age 89. My mother, now age 86, is currently undergoing radiation in Scottsdale, AZ, where I found my G35. It makes the commute to Scottsdale 250 miles over the mountains, ever so much more enjoyable.
I built my dealership from scratch, including the design and construction of the building and acquiring Polaris, Suzuki and Bombardier/Sea-Doo franchises. My website is www.atvmountaincycle.com
Let's see, I have been to Europe 5 times, including a private tour of the Ferrari factory, (my dad knew Enzo) and am an accomplished sailor, having sailed throughout the caribbean, both coasts, Sea of Cortez, and Tahiti.
Oh yeah, I was on Junkyard Wars in 2001 as one of the Metal Medics, the powerboat episode. We lost when our driver flipped the boat in a spectacular crash. Two weeks spent in England for the shooting were a blast.
I have been married just once, to my wife of 20 years. I have two sons ages 17 and 9.
So,,,what have you done lately?

Old 06-03-2006, 08:05 PM
I've had my G for about 6weeks now. That would explain why I only have a dozen posts on here.
I came on here looking for answers, not to get into a pissing match with a punk law student. You seem to have appointed yourself hall monitor, which fits right in with your being a law student, and may very well be your day job.
I am a franchised powersport dealer. I deal with elevation issues relating to the ATVs, Motorcycles and Jet Skis I sell here at 6,000 feet elevation in Silver City, New Mexico on a daily basis.
There are many different problems and solutions as relate to the different models. It is not all about simple fuel/air and jetting as one might think. Even clutching and vacuum fuel pumps can be factors.
I was working in a motorcycle shop as a mechanic when I was 16 years old, that would be 1972. I am also a machinist and a welder. I have a B.A. from the University of Wyoming in History, studied art and politics and, get this, went to law school there for a brief stint. I hated law school and my peers, who were either nerds or dope fiends. "Shooting" crystal meth was popular among the law students. I couldn't stand being around any of them.
I worked construction in Los Angeles, California and built a successful cabinet and commercial fixture business there. I sold it and moved back to New Mexico to take care of my aging parents. Best decision I ever made, ranks right up there with leaving law school. My Dad died 10 years ago at age 89. My mother, now age 86, is currently undergoing radiation in Scottsdale, AZ, where I found my G35. It makes the commute to Scottsdale 250 miles over the mountains, ever so much more enjoyable.
I built my dealership from scratch, including the design and construction of the building and acquiring Polaris, Suzuki and Bombardier/Sea-Doo franchises. My website is www.atvmountaincycle.com
Let's see, I have been to Europe 5 times, including a private tour of the Ferrari factory, (my dad knew Enzo) and am an accomplished sailor, having sailed throughout the caribbean, both coasts, Sea of Cortez, and Tahiti.
Oh yeah, I was on Junkyard Wars in 2001 as one of the Metal Medics, the powerboat episode. We lost when our driver flipped the boat in a spectacular crash. Two weeks spent in England for the shooting were a blast.
I have been married just once, to my wife of 20 years. I have two sons ages 17 and 9.
So,,,what have you done lately?
Thanks for the authobiography. And what lawschool did you attend where the students shoot chrystal meth? i go to a very well-respected lawschool and have not seen what you have seen. Clearly, you are associating yourself with the wrong crowd. Do you always have a pipe up your ***? Thanks for starting the name calling, friend, you are clearly mature for your age and experience
Anyways, you seem like the kind of person who does a lot of talking and minimal walking. YOU, my friend, are the one claiming to be holier than though, not me. What a great sense of humor you have. You must think you are big **** becuase you traveled here, worked here, etc. Whoopdee doo. Your reasoning involving the stillen hfab and high alitude is based on mere conjecture, you have no proof, your reasoning is faulty, and the fact that you beleive your opinion is special and deserving of extra attention on this board makes me sick.
This is the time where the mods are supposed to close this thread--because you have instigated a pissing match..Where to go--How about we do a duplicate pissing match after the mods lock/delete this thread, friend?

Old 06-03-2006, 08:34 PM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
hey fourlix, don't let this shmuck bother you...some people are just this way with the annonimity of the forum...kind of like people who flip you the bird in traffic, but would never have the ***** to say it to your face. hope you are enjoying your car and that you can use the info on this forum for your benefit.

Old 06-03-2006, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by speedracerg35
hey fourlix, don't let this shmuck bother you...some people are just this way with the annonimity of the forum...kind of like people who flip you the bird in traffic, but would never have the ***** to say it to your face. hope you are enjoying your car and that you can use the info on this forum for your benefit.
He calls me a punk law student--suggests I belong to a group of nerds or druggies and tells me that my day job will be hall monitor, and I am the shmuck? I may have not been on this board for that long, but I have posted helpful information and suggestions numerous times and have restrained myself from name calling and stupid kiddish stuff unless someone else instigates it--like fourlix here--but it's great to know you have chosen to take his side and call me a scmuck--cheers

Old 06-03-2006, 09:01 PM
You started the name calling jonnylaw. You said "Do you always let your butt do all the talking?"
You asked for credentials, I complied.
How old are you? What have you ever done?
What are your mechanical or automotive credentials?
How many cars have you owned? How many have you built? How many engines have you built or overhauled?

You will make a typical lawyer. a$$hole.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stillen cai & z-tube solves high elevation performance loss.