G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Engine Light, Clickity-Clack, and 750miles per quart

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 12:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Light, Clickity-Clack, and 750miles per quart

So i leased my G35 6MT under a year ago, first new car i leased and i am well under my current lease miles (11,600), and i am having problems. Yay! I started hearing this odd rattling sound from the front end a while ago, and took it too the dealership. (Who will remain nameless, I live in Spokane Washington so that narrows it down to one. hehe) They said they also heard the noise and had no idea what was casuing, but changed my oil for free and the sound went away. I was a bit concerned with this method but i am no car guy, i know a little but not enough to fix them myself and the like, I can change oil and stuff... anyway...

two months pass, I am driving my car more as it is summer, the noise comes back, I am nearing my 3000 miles for my oil change and might as well take it in, before I do i check the oil. It's gone! Dry. Not even showing on the dip stick. So i fill it and the sound goes away. Take it to the dealership... they tell me the G's burn 1 quart every 750 miles. BULL.

I had an emegency and the sound was gone, so i took the car. Saturday the check engine light comes on, and now i am waiting for a call from the dealership. :/ Lovely. I am a huge Nissan/Infiniti fan... and my wife drives an Xterra which i love and have had 0 problems with it and it's at 70,000 miles. Part of me want to figure out how to get out of this lease and get into another Xterra.

Old 07-17-2006, 12:46 PM
Sorry to hear your problems. If you are burning that much oil, something is wrong. Whoever told you that G's burn that much oil was full of $hit. Don't listen to them, go to another dealer if you can. I have no oil problems with my car, so don't let that deter you from infiniti's.

Old 07-17-2006, 12:52 PM
sounds like your in the same boat as i was in. however.. i ended up throwing a rod & shattering the crank berring! that too, makes a clickity clackity noise!

Old 07-17-2006, 01:03 PM
Sadly... there is only one dealer.

Do Nissian dealers handle Infiniti warrenties. I'd love to take my car to Jeremko (the other and superior Nissan dealer, sadly they deal in Nissan and Saab and no Infiniti)

Old 07-17-2006, 01:17 PM
UPDATE:

Called the dealer as he didn't return my call. He told me as long as the "Check Engine Light" wasn't flashing I am okay. I am currently schedualed for a checkup on the 27th.

Yay.

Old 07-17-2006, 03:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
m4gunner...and all sry to hear...

but this will makew u lol..was at the dub show yesterday...drivein home..n next thing i notice is a flying iteam comign at me..i was like wtf..so i sweazred fast n the thing bounced up almost caught my windndshield n upepr post...but manged to move fast enough to just hit my driver side mirror

guess wat it was...a ******* hub cab...it left a nice little slice in my mirror but saides that i am ok..could have been much worse..but dam who ever knew

Joe

Old 07-17-2006, 05:02 PM
I go 3,000 to 5,000 miles between oil changes (5,000 now that I use synthetic)
I just passed 30,000 on the odometer and I've never had to top it off between oil changes.

Old 07-18-2006, 11:15 AM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Your VQ engine shoudn't be burning any noticeable oil amounts at the milleage that you're at now. Sometimes a car might burn a little oil during engine break-in, but you're far past that period now. My 2004 G35 Coupe doesn't burn a single spec of oil that I can detect and I change it at around 3500 almost exclusively backroad miles with Mobil 1 Full Synthetic.

If your engine oil level was bone dry and it was making noises, you probably incurred some degree of internal engine damage... most likely starting with the top end. Whenever your oil runs low, the top end(cams, lifters, etc) are the first things to take the brunt of the damage, because the oil pressure usually drops to some degree for a little while before it completely cuts out... and starves the top end from sufficient lubrication. This is why when people are running super low on oil, they usually report valvetrain noise as the main symptom(those who are alert enough to notice that is).

If I were you, I'd hope that engine blows soon so that you can get a new one under warranty. There was obviously already a problem if it is burning that much oil in the first place. Make sure you keep receipts of any oil changes you've had done so you have a paper trail in case they try to deny your warranty claim should the engine fail.

Old 07-18-2006, 11:42 AM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Head orange,

When you say it was dry what does that mean? How much oil did you add to bring it up to the full mark on the dip stick. If your engine was truly dry of oil it would seize within a very short drive due to lack of lubrication and the excessive heat that would cause.
I suggest you get a test done at the dealer to determine true oil consumption and compare it to acceptable Infiniti specs. Also they could do a compression test to check for blow by /wear on rings/valves to help ensure there has not been damage done to date.
G/L

Old 07-18-2006, 01:59 PM
What the heck? Is it necessary to change the oil every 3,500 miles using Mobil 1 Synthetic? Isn't that less than the recommended most severe interval (3,750) using regular dino oil? The least severe recommended interval (for people like you who do "backroads driving" or highway mostly) is 7,500 miles with dino oil. How do you justify changing the oil so frequently using such a high quality durable oil?

Are you at redline the whole time or what?

Old 07-18-2006, 02:04 PM
^^i agree...i change every 5k miles w/ mobil1 synthetic...early on i had oil consump. issues but i ask the dealer to check for low oil and the do (supposedly...) i hope i dont have any engine probs...

Old 07-18-2006, 05:55 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by mal_TX
What the heck? Is it necessary to change the oil every 3,500 miles using Mobil 1 Synthetic? Isn't that less than the recommended most severe interval (3,750) using regular dino oil? The least severe recommended interval (for people like you who do "backroads driving" or highway mostly) is 7,500 miles with dino oil. How do you justify changing the oil so frequently using such a high quality durable oil?

Are you at redline the whole time or what?

I just don't drive my car a whole lot of miles in general. It sometimes takes me like 7 months to acrue 3500 miles. As your engine operates, the oil picks up contaminants such as carbon which are the byproducts of combustion and which remain in the oil to some degree despite the oil filters filtration throughout the entire life cycle of that batch of motor oil. Many of these contaminants break down the oil over time regardless of how many actual miles you drive your car. For me, not driving the car a whole lot of actual miles, my oil is still going to be quite dirty and also the molecular integrity of the oil will be broken down just due to it's prolonged exposure to these harmful oil contaminants. This is why most manufacturers recommend both milleage and time change interval for motor oil(example: 7500 miles or every 6 months).

Also, I'm not in any kind of a big pinch for the small amounts of money that it costs me to do an oil change myself and I'd rather err on the side of safety with my motor than play with fire and risk possibly running on oil that offers less than adequate protection.

On top of all that.. i'm probably just about the most **** person in the history of life regarding maintenance and upkeep of all my cars on all levels(routine maintenance, detailing, washing/waxing, etc), so I take pride in making sure everything is well beyond what most people consider up to snuff and personally done by my own 2 hands.

Old 07-18-2006, 06:36 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^ I'm in the same situation with my car and also have the same frame of mind.

Old 07-18-2006, 09:45 PM
call your local consumer commerce affsirs and report what the dealer told you to them. by the time an investigation is done, the dealer will be kissing your ***.