G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Dilemma... G35 vs G35MT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 08:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dilemma... G35 vs G35MT

Hi, Im a 25 year old female who needs help with figuring out which one to buy. I know its going to be the black coupe. My ultimate goal is to have THE sport car. I do not know how to drive stick, but I am wanting to learn. So here is the dilemma...

I think for having a sport car esp. the G35, its sooo much sexier to be driving a stick. And more fun too. But keep in mind I live in Downtown Los Angeles. (traffic, for those unfamiliar) I know the G35MT automatically comes equipped with the sport package incl. the sport suspension, the 19" wheels, and the stick. BUT Im only interested in the suspension and the stick. I am wanting to take the rims off and put on some black 19" 20 spokes which will cost me $2000+.

I know that the automatic can switch to 5 Speed. But how fun is that? And I mean, really, there isnt much of a difference btwn 280 vs 298 HP. But it mentally just feels good knowing I got the one with more power. Dumb I know. Or is it? SOO, in all your experience, should I save the $2000 and not go for the 6MT and buy the automatic with super hot rims with the money, or is there truly a difference in the suspension and handling of the 6MT that I need to just buy it and fork out another $2000 for the rims I truly want?

Because as far as im concerned, the bottom line is performance, the way it handles a turn and the way it sticks to the ground. Oh, and the purrrrrrrrrrr... So what should I do?

Old 08-13-2006, 08:38 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
stick is harder to drive strait line and in the corners therefore most of the time it is going to be slower than 5AT. Unless u are gonna devote urself for more than a year practicing stick shift to its full potential, i say go with 5AT. As far as handling, 5at is available with sport suspension so handling is similar. The only advantage 6MT has is that, with the right driver u can downshift quicker and later before a turn.

Old 08-13-2006, 08:57 AM
it sounds like u have your mind made up already about what u want, whts the point of buying a sports car if u cant have fun with it. i say go stick and find either a beater or a friends car to learn on

Old 08-13-2006, 09:02 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Most of my prior cars have been manuals, but this go around I went with the 5 speed auto. The auto in the g35 and 350Z gives up nothing in terms of acceleration. The only place you'll notice a perfomance difference is on a tight auto-x track where constant low gear downshifting is needed. The 05+ 6MTs have 18hp more, but they trade low to midrange power for higher end HP. Around town, especially from 0-60mph, the 298hp model is actually a tad slower. In the 1/4 mile, there's no real difference between a 280hp 5AT and a 298 6MT. I've driven 6MT Gs and around town, the 5AT wins hands down. It feels much quicker from 0-50mph which is important when driving around town. In probably 8 out 10 situations, a 5AT will beat out the 6MT in an acceleration contest. Everyone thinks they're a great drag racer until the get under the timing lights and find out that they actually are pretty bad and can't launch the 6MT for squat. The 5AT is far easier to launch.

I use to live in Atlanta which has traffic just as bad as LA (been there 3 times this year) and there is no way I'd be caught driving a manual in either of those towns. It's terribly annoying having to downshift and crawl with a manual in 5-15mph traffic. I guess if you've never owned a manual then it may not be a big deal, but for me, after driving manuals for a combined 14 years, crawling in traffic with a manual is tiring.

The 5AT is not your run-of-the-mill auto. It's geared aggressively, as a decent manual feature, and is quick to respond. This isn't the same kind of auto that's used in Grandma's Buick.

Old 08-13-2006, 10:53 AM
Florida G35 Club
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
go with the auto and get the rims.. noones gonna know u have stick anyways and u don't know how to drive stick... if u sed u used to drive a stick then thats a different story... go with the auto... the auto is still quick... plus if u get the oem 19's then u can sell them an make a easy grand...

Old 08-13-2006, 12:23 PM
FGC South Florida BOD
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey there and welcome!

As a girl who bought my G as my first manual car, some advice I can give you...

There are certain things you'll have to give up with a manual car. You can forget about driving a stick in heels or flip-flops, especially being a novice. If you wear those a lot you'll need to keep a pair of something comfy for driving in the car, and switch back and forth about 10 times a day

You'll no longer be able to drink your coffee in the car or be on the phone for long because of the constant upshifting/downshifting and turning. BT pretty much eliminates that problem, but a 6mt in general requires more concentration to drive than an auto and you wouldn't want your focus to be taken away. All it takes is one mistake and stalling in the middle of the road and you can get in trouble. These things may sound like common sense and may not apply to you at all, but I'm bringing them up anyway just to give you an idea of what to expect.

Now, could I have done with an auto? Sure, I too get lazy in traffic and going in and out of 1st gets to me. Sometimes on weekends I wish I could just cruise down the beach without having to shift. The 5AT in the G has very crisp shifts and in manumatic mode it can do most basic things you do with a manual, e.g. engine braking. If you worry about performance, don't, to me the 5AT is on par with the 6MT. It's the driving experience that's different.

If I understand your question correctly, you're asking if there's a difference in handling between the regular suspension and the sport-tuned, my answer is nothing you would notice. A bit stiffer springs, a bit thicker sway bars and of course the limited slip are the only differences and they would only matter if you're into some really spirited kind of driving, canyon carving and such. You can buy aftermarket coilovers and sways which will blow both the regular and sport-tuned suspensions away.

Old 08-13-2006, 12:45 PM
I would get a stick... but then again, I dont live in L.A. I have to drive through there on occasion and it kills me to keep shifting, stopping, and so on. L.A. traffic sucks if you have a stick shift... so it might actually make me change my mind on wht I drove if I were to live there. Either way, you will love the car!!! Also, have fun cleaning that black!!!

Old 08-13-2006, 01:00 PM
just my 2 cents

i had a manual car for 5 yrs and now i just got my 04 6mt sedan in a stick and love driving it also i love in Brooklyn NY so its on the person i can do all the thing that an auto driver can do to ,talk on the phone, drink my coffe and shift all at once and i can bet any auto form the start but wat i notice that the cluth is very werid its takes a litte getting use to but i wouldnt trade it for anything but when i girl drives a stick its sexy from a guys point but if you never driven a car that was a manual and what to buy a new car in a manual and learn on it then may be you sould buy a $200 beater and learn on it drive it for a week do all your daily driving on it and see how it is then, if you think you can do it. more power to you but a girl driving a hot lookin car is always sexy

Old 08-13-2006, 01:38 PM
I go down to LA often and the traffic is horrible, especially on the 10. Sometimes it even gets annoying having a stick in SF traffic during rush hour but most times you forget about it.

I think having a 6MT just makes the commute that much more enjoyable. If your going to get a G35 Coupe, I think it's gotta be a 6MT.

As for learning to drive stick, you'll get used to it in a matter of hours or days at most. You'll come to a point when you don't even think anymore, it just becomes "automatic."

Old 08-13-2006, 02:12 PM
buy a stick shift..... don't make mistake like I do..... I will never go back to AT when it comes to sports cars.... I am telling you right now....the 06MT is much much quicker than my previous AUTOMATIC E-S!@#$ shift.... the rev up has higher RMP redline also......if i have to do it again, I would get the M3 j/k hehe... this is my .02 opinion...

Old 08-13-2006, 02:39 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
6MT all the way. You will not regret it.

Old 08-13-2006, 02:59 PM
5at

Old 08-13-2006, 03:05 PM
There is nothing hotter than a female that drives stick. Also, there is no such thing as an automatic sports car. Anyone who says otherwise is a $%^#@!!

Old 08-13-2006, 03:58 PM
i say 6MT, g35 COUPE is a sports car. if ur driving sedan, thats a different case.

only automatic cars i would drive are ones with really sophisticated tranmissions like the audi DSG, benz 7 speed auto, and the 6 speed bmw steptronic isnt bad either.

Old 08-13-2006, 04:06 PM
even though your gonna be in Down Town LA... ya traffic will be a b1tch...but theres not too many hills (IMO thats the worst for MT) i drive a 5AT and i work at a BMW dealership and i love hopping in a car that is MT... so much more fun to drive... and if you want THE sporst car... then 6MT will be the way to go

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dilemma... G35 vs G35MT