Old 08-14-2006, 02:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Klubbheads
And u get old really quick also.
hahah.. good answer!

Old 08-14-2006, 02:07 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
My 5AT's first pass ever was a 14.65@97.5mph with a high 2.3 60'. On the next pass I loaded up the TC a bit more and did a 14.45@97.5 with a low 2.2 60'. Density altitude conditions on that day in may at the time were close to 1,500'. I know an acquantince at my track that owns an 04 6MT sedan. He also owns an 11-second F-Body he races avidly. On the same day I was running 14.3-14.4@~98mph, he was running 14.3-14.4@~98mph. Our 60 foots were nearly identical, though he usually eeked me out by about .05 seconds of so, sometimes dipping into the 2.0s. But the point is, on the same track, same day, and with a very competent driver, the 6MT is right in line with the 5AT assuming the 5AT understands how to launch the 5AT and that manually shifting the 2-3 and 3-4 are crucial to getting good times. If left in D, the 5AT shifts way too early. The 3-4 shift comes up at ~89mph or 6000rpms which drops the car WAY out of the powerband. You must hold 3rd till atleast the high 90s. I leave mine in 3rd the whole run which means I'm at close to 100mph when I cross the finish.

I believe it. At speeds over 100-110mph, the 6MT definitely has the advantage thanks to it's better gearing and lower drivetrain losses. Also, I'm willing to bet that those tests left the 5AT in D which will severely hamper 0-130mph times.
im not doubting anything u said, I just can't see the when the auto shifting from 2nd to 3rd ( that is the time i usually have the major pull), being below 4500rpm making the same power while 6mt when shifting from 2nd to 3rd is over 5000rpm already. Here is an example on my car, When shifting from 2nd to 3rd it is on about 225 hp mark and climbing up... but if my car was auto it would be at about 190hp mark being at about 4200 rpm and climbing up. As the speed goes up the gearing becomes worse for the auto.

Old 08-14-2006, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by SILVRG35
6MT. There is absolutely no reason to get a sporty car in auto; even some 5AT owners regret their choice.

+1 and how many 6MT that regret opting for an MT. This Auto vs MT has been debated for so long. I live in NYC and stop complaining about the traffic because we deal with them too plus a Million different sizes of Potholes and our roads are not as big and smooth compare to any state, so driving here is much more painful.

It is either you're a MT person or Auto.

Old 08-14-2006, 02:11 PM
traffic excuse is old guys, find another one plz.

Old 08-14-2006, 02:37 PM
Wow, you guys are awesome! I feel so much more informed now. If I were to tally up the score... it looks as if the 6MT IS the way to go. I am a girly girl, I wear heels 24 hours a day except at the gym or when im at work. I drink coffee and smoke a cigarette while driving but I have a bluetooth for the cell phone. I dont sit in traffic on my way to work. But I must say, after a night out at 3 am, and I have to drive back home on the freeway from Santa Monica or Hollywood back to downtown, and no one is on the road, (except for cops, lol) I wish I had a fast car to just floor the open road and shift a stick.

From a womans perspective, I know it would feel sexier having that sort of control over the car and feeling the throttle throw you back. I feel that way about men who drive stick. I love watching a man shift gears. lol. So hmmm... 6MT it is!

Old 08-14-2006, 02:42 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by AthenG
+1 and how many 6MT that regret opting for an MT.
Quite a few actually because of the reliability, driveability, and noise issues associated with the 6MT. I've owned 4 manual cars and my previous car was a 5MT Maxima and I've test driven many 6MT Gs. I can firmly say that the Asisn designed 6MT is one of the notchiest and unsmooth trannies I've ever experienced. The 1-2 shift is bulky and super notchy and the 4-5 shift is very resistant. Clutch take-up is also inconsistent. My Maxima was the same way and it got tiring after 6 years.

Old 08-14-2006, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by DTRNusc
From a womans perspective, I know it would feel sexier having that sort of control over the car and feeling the throttle throw you back. I feel that way about men who drive stick. I love watching a man shift gears. lol. So hmmm... 6MT it is!
Good choice, if u need any lessons, u know who to PM.

JK

Old 08-14-2006, 03:47 PM
6mt all the way.... 5at is for old foggies or lazy people LOL j/k it depends on what you like.... I have always had MT on all my cars...... I just prefer it...

Old 08-14-2006, 03:51 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
what dilemma? It's 6MT or hate yourself in 2 weeks.

Old 08-14-2006, 04:48 PM
you dont need use to confirm what you want.

you want control, so stick it is. you should consider getting the color IP instead. black is too masculine.

Old 08-14-2006, 04:58 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
yeah i know all women love "stick"

lol jk.........

Old 08-14-2006, 05:35 PM
Quite a few actually because of the reliability, driveability, and noise issues associated with the 6MT. I've owned 4 manual cars and my previous car was a 5MT Maxima and I've test driven many 6MT Gs. I can firmly say that the Asisn designed 6MT is one of the notchiest and unsmooth trannies I've ever experienced. The 1-2 shift is bulky and super notchy and the 4-5 shift is very resistant. Clutch take-up is also inconsistent. My Maxima was the same way and it got tiring after 6 years.

we are not talking about reliability here, and Auto tranny are more prone to break plus cost more to fix than MT. Personally I haven't seen anyone here complain of of getting a MT. I'll agree on the smoothness of the Nissan gearbox but everyone keep using the "To much Traffic here" alibi just to justify getting an Auto.

Like I said it's either you're an MT Guy/Gal or an Auto person. There's no traffic, clutch to high or shifter to long that can stop a MT lover from buying a stick shift. I'll probably do what you did and buy an Auto when i turn 55+ yrs old.

Old 08-14-2006, 05:38 PM
Like I said it's either you're an MT Guy/Gal or an Auto person.
+1, /thread

Old 08-14-2006, 06:02 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
we are not talking about reliability here, and Auto tranny are more prone to break plus cost more to fix than MT. Personally I haven't seen anyone here complain of of getting a MT. I'll agree on the smoothness of the Nissan gearbox but everyone keep using the "To much Traffic here" alibi just to justify getting an Auto.

Like I said it's either you're an MT Guy/Gal or an Auto person. There's no traffic, clutch to high or shifter to long that can stop a MT lover from buying a stick shift. I'll probably do what you did and buy an Auto when i turn 55+ yrs old.

The JATCO 5AT used in the G35 is the same tranny used in the much more powerful Nissan Titan, Q45, M45, etc. It's more than capable of handling the stock HP/TQ the VQ35 dishes out. It's also 50lbs lighter too.

As for complaints, clearly you haven't owned a G35 long enough to understand that the 6MT is on it's 5th update thanks primarily to poor syncros and a rather weak clutch.

As for me not getting the 6MT, my concern was reliability and driveability. Dealing with traffic isn't a big deal for me, but I wasn't about to drive another rough driving Nissan manual for 6 years. I drove 3 G35 6MTs because I couldn't believe all 6MTs drove that bad. I was wrong. Now if the 6MT drove like a BMW or Honda manual then you find me in a 6MT G35. Me driving an auto has nothing to do with age. It has to do with what I demand in a car. To me the 5AT offers up the best overall driving experience.

You guys crack me up acting as if you're some type of driving God because you pilot a manual

Old 08-14-2006, 06:27 PM
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You guys crack me up acting as if you're some type of driving God because you pilot a manual
It's not that I think I am a God, but when the girlies run up to my car yelling "is it a stick? Is it a five speed?"
I don't think I could take the look of disappointment on their faces if they looked inside and saw an automatic.

Then I say, noooo, it's a six speed!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dilemma... G35 vs G35MT