G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Diffs in Sedan & Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 05:50 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Diffs in Sedan & Coupe

Haven't driven much in the last week. I'm in the midst of winter-wonderland, (AKA one 3 month PITA) LOL. But I have noticed a few diffs between the 2 cars:
1/ The ride on the Coupe is noticably firmer ( stiffer shocks, bigger sway bars, tires and wheels) I like.
2/ The steering has more feedback and takes a little more effort. I like.
3/ Engine feels stronger but haven't explored the upper limits of the tach (too much). only 200 miles. I LIKE.
4/ The A/T shifts firmer, quicker, and generally is less 'slushy' than the Sedan's.(which I also liked with some exceptions)
The coupe also indicates the lower gear when automatically shifting down in manual mode. This system requires more attention in manual mode than the Sedan. l like.
5/ Head turning quotient was very good with the Sedan. but astronomical with the Coupe. I like.
6/ Gas mileage is not as good as Sedan (with same miles on it) altho big diff driving in June than January around this deep freeze anyway. Overall impression of mileage: the coupe will be about 10% less than sedan. We'll see. I hate to concentrate on MPG's . These cars are meant to be driven. Don't like.
6/ I miss the memory D/seat. Don't like.
7/ Interior trunk release. I like.
8/ Navi functions quicker and the display pops up better in the cold. Also has the 6.1 version. They still haven't corrected the name of my street (Harwood, not Hardwood) Errors in spelling probably get updated last....I like > the navi is the neatest option I've ever had bar none. (also the most expensive)
9/ There are now bellows on the sides of the sunroof in the tilt position. Even quieter than the Sedan. I like.
10/ Lost the declutching engine fan in favour of extra electric fan.- probly gained 1/2 HP but lost some low speed cooling.
I like (HP)
11/ The long skinny air horn now has a support in the middle so that it won't collapse in heat and with age. (I slid a nail in the Sedan's which worked fine). I like.
12/The front cup holders are improved. I like.
13/......2 exhaust pipe "finishers". I like.
14/..no rear entry coutesy light ala Sedan. Don't like.
15/ .. 'Real' sized opening to trunk when back seat lowered.
..........I like.
16/Driver's window when fully closed jogs down 1/4 inch to clear being snagged. Haven't tested the Pass. side yet. ...Don't like. but no biggie.
17/ . A/T shifter moves less than Sedan to effect shift.- manual mode. I like.
18/..Door handles are more user friendly. I like.
19/..Coupe feels a solid as Sedan with very few creaks and rattles (in the cold, so far).. I like
20/..Steering geometry must be diff. which causes larger turning diameter..Don't like
21/Car looks COOL accented by big rubber and dual pipes... I like.
22/..Bose : hard to say, first impression it's fine for me. but not quite as good as Sedan, although not as 'boomy'.I like
23/..heating& A/C system: same... I like......Provided it doesn't 'cook' my right foot in summer!
24/..Seats are little firmer but fewer electronic controls... I like.
25/.. My pride and joy, Prince, approves. loves the fold down rear seat and console.
That's all for now. I can't even comment on the Yokahama AVS snows. Not enough snow yet..............I LIKE......LOL...
I've got some nice pics with my new ELPH. now have to learn how to upload the folder to the site...Jump in please....
Regards from Miss Silverstone. She's real happy..

Gsedanman--in Silverstone Coupe clothing.

Old 01-18-2003, 08:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Diffs in Sedan & Coupe

Thanks for the comp.
I've been wondering how much difference there was going to be.
Three test drives just don't tell the whole story.
Keep the info coming, and get those pics up!

BS Sedan for now, DG Coupe end of March

Old 01-18-2003, 10:47 AM

BTW, is the gas filler door the same as the sedan?, do you have to push it open, or is there a release inside.

BS Sedan for now, DG Coupe end of March

Old 01-18-2003, 10:54 AM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have to push it open and it's plastic. Plus there is no 'handle' on the inside of the trunk like the sedan to pull it down for closeure.

Merlin.

Old 01-18-2003, 11:47 AM

Hey sedanman, I was just curious about #16. The window jogging down a 1/4 inch. Is that like the BMW's whose windows drop a centimetre when you unlock the car to make it easier to open and close the doors. Or do you mean something else. Also keep us informed about #23. Currently my Acura Cl S is the same way with the heater. On a long drive my right foot is on fire and it is annoying. That's about my only complaint with my car. Never had these tranny problems I hear everyone talking about. Never the less, my silverstone 6mt is on its way. Can't wait.

Old 01-18-2003, 04:00 PM
G35driver.com Moderator

hey coupeman, about that window thing, the reason it drops down a quarter inch is to get a good seal between the window and the doorsill

Old 01-18-2003, 05:09 PM
O.F. Administrator

I've got as far as taking some pics (such as they are in this God forsaken climate) but now need to upload to the site from my folder. I've not done this b4 so am open to suggestions. I've read too that size is important (100k bites) max, so need to address that issue too.
I'm not doing so bad: I know some (not much) about my computer now, can tie in the Digital ELPH and download to a folder in the hard drive, even print and send emails from there, but I need just a little more info on that last step to upload to the Site. Sorry guys, I've been at this stuff for less than a year, and don't have many 'cells' left at my age so be patient, I will post pics, and soon. Thanks for your help...........

Not long now to Coupe Time eh? You're gonna love it!
Wish I could drive mine more but the weather is the pits.
My Yokohama AVS winter tires are good in snow, albeit not too deep yet but no problems. Seems easy to get the 'slip' light to come on as well as the anti lock warning but that's a matter of being careful. One question I have which isn't expained very well in the manual: On Pages 5-21 & 22 It talks of the "Brake LSD system" which ties in with the "VDC system" to control wheelspin and transfer etc etc, Is this not the same thing I had on my Sedan? (transfering power to the wheel that's not spinning by braking the wheel that IS) Then what about the LSD? To me a Limited Slip is a mechanical thing in the rear end that engages to limit one wheel ONLY from spinning. The way this one is described, the system limits the spinning by applying a brake to that wheel.......... sounds strange to me --- somebody explain please.
I love the Silverstone (D/G) paint and I'm getting used to no wing. What I'd like to do is retrofit the underbody diffusers. Anyone know about that yet?
I was a little worried about my gas mileage being so low. But I realised it's winter, snow, slippage, long warmups, short trips, not much hwy. driving -- all adds up to poor G/M. The first half tank netted me 19.5 MPG's (imperial) > 16.2 MPG's (US) which will improve with warmer weather and break-in.
I check my mileage the old fashioned way and very accurately. Distance by gallons etc etc, and fill to the top every time. The navi is usually a little more 'optimistic'
Will post with more when I can...............

Old 01-18-2003, 05:40 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

gsedanman:

re <font color=blue>"11/ The long skinny air horn now has a support in the middle so that it won't collapse in heat and with age. (I slid a nail in the Sedan's which worked fine)."</font color=blue>

To what are you referring? Just curious.

Old 01-18-2003, 06:51 PM
O.F. Administrator

Hey Gordgee, (thanks for all the cold you're sending us, forcast is real bad for the next week: -17 to -25. BRRRRRR)

I noticed on the Sedan one day that the long skinny air horn that runs accross the top of the RAD, which is attached to the main air inlet could easily be crushed by carelessness, or sag with age or heat. Sooooo I spread the opening apart and levered a small nail in there to keep it apart. This probly doesn't amount to a hill of beans, but being that I'm so '****' I thought I'd 'fix' it.
On my Coupe, sure enough, they replaced the nail with a plastic support moulded into the horn.
Maybe not so **** after all.
I'd post a pic but haven't got that down yet....suggestions???
I can get as far as downloading to a folder in My Documents/My Pictures, so not much further to go just uploading the right size to ?????????

Old 01-18-2003, 06:55 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gsedanman, Try using "Paint" to mod the size. If that doesn't work you need something more sophisticated like PhotoShop.

Merlin.

Old 01-18-2003, 09:04 PM
O.F. Administrator

Hey Merlin, So I've got jpeg type pics MY DOCUMENTS. Can these be transfered as such or do I need thumbnails? And how to check size and modify? What's next?
............thanks.............

Gsedanman--in Silverstone Coupe clothing.<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by gsedanman on 01/18/03 06:15 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 01-18-2003, 09:52 PM
Administrator

The easiest photo program for general use that I've found is 'PhotoSuite'. Does some very quick photo editing with little effort including cropping, enhancing contrast, etc. Can also touchup, fix scratches easily and formats photolayouts for prints. Also nicely enables you to save a pic at a certain file size and quality to send as an e-mail or for this forum, post pics under 100 kbytes![img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Not as powerful as some other programs, but great for the novice or quick edits. Even though I have both Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro, I keep PhotoSuite Platinum handy on my desk top.

Old 01-18-2003, 10:35 PM
O.F. Administrator

Hey Gordgee, PhotoSuite sounds good. I've got Corel PhotoHouse, which is part of the Corel Office 2000 program.
I haven't used it yet but can access my pics and set them up ready for touch-ups etc. It tells me on screan what the size is for example: 28.44"x21.33". Not sure what the 'bytes' are but obviously too big right? Question---Does the quality setting on the camera determine that previously stated size?
I believe you told me about the settings on the camera which I've seen: low, med, and hi res. along with compression settings from superfine to normal.
Let me take a stab here and say if I took a still using low res.
and normal compression that I'd get something that could be uploaded (to the site)? Am I getting closer to the truth here?
Thanks for your patience.

Old 01-19-2003, 12:10 AM
Administrator

Generally, the higher the res, the bigger the file. Try playing with the settings, taking the same pics at different resolutions. You can then see the effect on the number of pics you can take on your CF card. Download the pics onto a file on your computer. If you right click, select 'properties, you can see the file size of each of the pics. Just play with your new toy. You should take this to a thread on 'off topic' to see what others say as well. I'm no expert, but I'll help as much as I can.

Gord

Old 01-19-2003, 06:45 AM
O.F. Administrator

The correlation between camera setting and pic size is 'sinking in' and I've adjusted the cam to suit. I'll play with the 'Select Properties' in the MY PICTURE file to see the sizes. It's coming together slowly,Gord, and once I've done it a few times it'll be easy.
Thanks for your help.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Diffs in Sedan & Coupe