G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Snow!?! Looking for Opinions On Winter Tires for G35 Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 08:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snow!?! Looking for Opinions On Winter Tires for G35 Coupe

First winter with our new G35. I've read a LOT about the standard tires and winter driving (I'm in Chicago area - so snow is going to be here like it or not).

I've checked out TireRack.com, they have two different tires offered for the G35 (standard model/tires - 17"), Blizzak LM-22 and Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2.

I've read alot of positive on the Blizzak's but it seems that those tires and dry/wet pavement is not very positive. Looking at the TireRack survery on the two tires, the Michelin has a better overall rating, especially when you look at driving on dry and wet pavement in the winter. Chicago get's it snow, but 75% of the time it's more dry/wet pavement than snow.

Price is about the same, so no decision point there. Just looking for the best tire for this climate.

Was curious on opinions between the two, which they would chose and why.

Old 09-10-2006, 10:10 PM
Take the money you'd spend on wheels and tires and buy a beater. I live in CT and I got myself an 89' Bronco for less than I would have spent putting tires on the G. Also, I feel a lot better knowing that I won't wreck the car.

Old 09-10-2006, 10:18 PM
search the Z & G sale forums for a set of base rims from owners who bought new rims.

My Setup:

http://www.therightfoot.net/carphoto...etup/index.htm

http://www.therightfoot.net/carphoto...nter-setup.jpg

Old 09-11-2006, 12:44 AM
Go with Brian's advice. Who wants all that salt on their paint anyways? I tried to make it home in the summer tires in 2 inches of snow, went in a ditch going 5 mph and destroyed a mailbox. I kicked the corner light back in, not a scratch, but ain't gonna try it again.

Old 09-11-2006, 08:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
u guys are crazy. u'd rather buy a beater for 1300$ then winter tires? i don't even want to know what a car for 1300$ looks like. i've got pirelli's on mine and have never had a single problem in the winter. salt on the car? it's called a car wash... besides, last i remember i was driving a nissan not a ferrari. my g35 is my winter beater

Old 09-11-2006, 08:35 AM
Check out the Dunlop Wintersport M3's. I used them last year up here in Michigan and they are every bit as good as the Blizzak's that I have had on other cars. The M3's seem to do better in slush and on ice.

I have a set of Wintersport M3's on ASA JH3's (18" setup) with 2,200 miles on them that I will be selling here shortly. The wheels look brand new, and the tires are barely worn.

Old 09-11-2006, 09:06 AM
Received 169 Likes on 114 Posts
My G35 is also my winter beater with a set of Wintersport M3 tires!

Old 09-11-2006, 09:26 AM
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by bob61
First winter with our new G35. I've read a LOT about the standard tires and winter driving (I'm in Chicago area - so snow is going to be here like it or not).

I've checked out TireRack.com, they have two different tires offered for the G35 (standard model/tires - 17"), Blizzak LM-22 and Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2.

I've read alot of positive on the Blizzak's but it seems that those tires and dry/wet pavement is not very positive. Looking at the TireRack survery on the two tires, the Michelin has a better overall rating, especially when you look at driving on dry and wet pavement in the winter. Chicago get's it snow, but 75% of the time it's more dry/wet pavement than snow.

Price is about the same, so no decision point there. Just looking for the best tire for this climate.

Was curious on opinions between the two, which they would chose and why.
hey i have had my g since feb,03 and can say the first time i got stuck with about 3 inches of snow it was scary.i went and bought the blizzak lm,22,s and have never had a problem in the snow or the wet.on dry pavement it doesnt handle nearly as well,just drive normal and you wont have any problems.

Old 09-11-2006, 09:34 AM
This will be the second winter for my G and it will be running on 18" Dunlop WinterSports M3 w/350Z wheels.

Old 09-11-2006, 09:44 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have blizzaks in the rear and some hankook winter tires in the front on the OEM 18s. Went thru last winter in NY with more fun than the summer. If you consider yourself a car enthusiast and a safe driver, you could really have sum fun and appreciate the G in the winter. If you got the G only cause of looks and you don't believe in your driving skills, get some old beater like some have said above, but do not attempt to go out with the G in winter and snow on your summer tires. Good luck and have fun.

Old 09-11-2006, 09:48 AM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
bob61,

I am running Dunlop Winter Sport M3's on my coupe for the last two winter seasons. I had no trouble with any of the harsh winters we had in New Jersey.

I would not feel comfortable driving my G in the snow/ice without snows. First year I had my car I curbed my front rim in less than an inch of snow......
Summer tires and snow = DISASTER. If you plan to drive in the winter months, its a sound and safe investment.

Old 09-11-2006, 09:53 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Move to Texas!

Old 09-11-2006, 10:47 AM
I have the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2 on my 04 Coupe. It has made a signifacant differnece in the bad conditions. I live in downtown Chicago so most of the time the streets are not that bad. But I do go through allys and in the burbs the side streets are often not plowed. The car is still not great in the snow and I feel no matter what tires you put on it never will be. I have not driven on any other snow tires so I can't compare the Michelin's to any others. The Michelin's do seem to preform good in dry conditions and so far have shown good durability, but I try not to beat on the snow tires to bad. I purchased my tires at Tirerack

Old 09-11-2006, 11:04 AM
I'm also looking for winter tires...probably going to go with 17" Blizzak and try to find some cheap OEM rims from someone.

As far as buying a beater...yeah maybe I could get a crappy car for the grand I'm going to have to drop on rims and winter tires...but what can you get for a grand? Nothing reliable, that's for sure. And in the snow I want reliability, not something that may break down and leave me stranded. Not to mention the cost of insuring and maintaining it. IMO there's no way that comes out cheaper in the end than just buying snow tires.

Old 09-11-2006, 11:18 AM
I picked up my Bronco from a friend for $1000. 4 wheel drive and I haven't had
any problems. To tell you the truth my insurance went down $100 a year with both cars on it. I appreciate having it here in CT, as it is not unordinary for the major highways to not even be plowed until there is 8 to 10 inches of snow on the ground, so you can imagine the side streets. It's not my driving that scares me, it is the other people around me. Even with a foot of snow on the ground, people insist on driving 65 on the highway. Last winter I was t-boned by someone who couldn't stop at a stop sign. Needless to say, better the Bronco than the G

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Snow!?! Looking for Opinions On Winter Tires for G35 Coupe