G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Please Help: No baby seat fits properly back there...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 12:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please Help: No baby seat fits properly back there...

And yes, I did a search on this forum but got nothing, and yes I read the manual and again nothing. The problem is that the seats back there are pure crap, at least when it comes to installing a baby seat. Infinity went through this great effort to put in the LATCH system with tether bracket, but they slope the seat both side to side as well as front to back. The narrowest point in back is only 12" wide, which manufacturer makes a 12" base for a baby seat?? None that I have tried so far. I've tried them all. I had my heart set on getting the Recaro Young Sport, but it's 18" wide. With the weight of the seat plus an infant, even with a protective mat, it cuts into the leather, since the baby seat sits on top of the bench rather than in it.

So do any of you fathers out there have some miracle baby seat that actually fits between the 2 sides???

Thanks

Old 10-04-2006, 01:31 AM
how old is your kid? i had no problems installing a peg perego.

Old 10-04-2006, 08:57 AM
That's about all you will be able to install "between" the rear seat, a newborn carrier. Once it's time to go to an infant car seat, whether it be rear facing or forward facing, you will see what I mean. The base of most infant car seats are 16-20", way more than the 12" available in "between" the rear seat sides....

In fact, now that I analyzed that picture even more, it looks like the base of the carrier is sitting on top of the sides, and not in between them. I guess if you're lucky enough that the base is wide enough to fit on top of both sides, then you should be OK. But my fear is that it will force down on the leather, and I don't like the fact that the car seat has a hole beneath it, for safety reasons, the car seat should sit flat...

Thanks for the picture and the feedback though, mighty kind of you !!

Last edited by neils; 10-04-2006 at 09:01 AM.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:37 AM
I had one for a weekend because we were taking care of my girlfriend sister little kid.

I had no problem fitting it in the coupe, it was facing front. Mainly sitting on the plastic, barely touching the leather. Hardest part was to get acces to the hook under the glass near the bose speaker.

Old 10-04-2006, 09:42 AM
I have this one in black. It fits like a charm. I do use 2 towels, one in the back and one in the seat to protect the leather.

http://www.babyuniverse.com/pro/baby...Transpire.html

It is also available as an Eddie Bauer, in tan, and Ive also seen it in leather, but I wouldnt subject my baby girl to a hot leather seat just to have it match to my seats. The blacl one is very inconspicuous on my car.

Old 10-04-2006, 03:03 PM
I use the Britax Expressway ISOFIX. Works great, but you need to stuff a towel under it.

http://www.britaxusa.com/products.cf...417A9CA4E1B078

Old 10-04-2006, 04:50 PM
i have a britax marathon that i will be installing soon since my son is 8 months old already. i see what you're sayin in regards to the leather but did you ever try using a section of a pool noodle to elevate the inside corner? that's what they recommended at the highway patrol when i brought it in to get it inspected. it was more snug with the pool noodle. good luck.

Last edited by superdds; 10-04-2006 at 04:52 PM.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:55 PM
ENVautoDetailing.com

Received 136 Likes on 92 Posts
I got an idea... Get a G sedan!!
-GP-

Old 10-04-2006, 05:11 PM
get a suv

Old 10-04-2006, 05:33 PM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
you shoulda pulled out buddy...

Old 10-04-2006, 07:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fx57
I use the Britax Expressway ISOFIX. Works great, but you need to stuff a towel under it.

http://www.britaxusa.com/products.cf...417A9CA4E1B078
That's what I have in the coupe, and it works for me. I take my son to school every day (he is 2yrs old now) I have a Car Seat Protector, and some entertainment for him.

Attached Thumbnails Please Help: No baby seat fits properly back there...-car-seat-protector.jpg   Please Help: No baby seat fits properly back there...-jvc.jpg  
Old 10-04-2006, 08:02 PM
I've fit an Alpha Omega Elite and currently have a Britax Marathon toddler seat installed, both with just a protective mat, but now use a thick towel to save the cushion. I've also put baby seat in the next seat facing backwards using the seat belt. It's all possible, you'll just get fingerprints on the back window trying to attach the LATCH on the read deck.

Old 10-04-2006, 08:57 PM
I'm starting to understand what people are doing here in order to get your car seats to fit back there. I was trying to get any baby car seat to sit flat on the seat, in between the side bolsters that slope downwards. I realize that this is not possible with any seat. What most of you seem to be doing is raising up the back end with a towel or pool noodle in order to level out the seat, and raise it up above the sides. Since the front of the seat is wider, I guess there isn't a problem getting the front end of the car seat to fit. It's just the back end that you have to play with. Got it.

So I guess now I can go ahead and spend the big bucks and pick up that Recaro Young Sport after all. It's 18" wide, so I guess so long as it fits the front portion of the seat, I should be fine.

Thanks for all of your feedback. I thought that maybe someone had a suggestion for a car seat that had a very narrow 12" base to wedge in between the sides of the rear seat, but I guess that doesn't exist...

Could those of you using an ISOFIX system tell me what that stands for?? Is it compatible with our LATCH mounting system?? I thought it was some sort of European equivalent to our LATCH system, but it looks like some of you are using an ISOFIX mount with the LATCH.

Thanks

Neil

Old 10-04-2006, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by spwong
I've fit an Alpha Omega Elite and currently have a Britax Marathon toddler seat installed, both with just a protective mat, but now use a thick towel to save the cushion. I've also put baby seat in the next seat facing backwards using the seat belt. It's all possible, you'll just get fingerprints on the back window trying to attach the LATCH on the read deck.

good to know....thanks!!!

Old 10-05-2006, 08:51 AM
Don't give up yet!

I've been using the Eddie Bauer High Back seat (see attached pic) without any trouble at all. It slides right into the back seat, in between the bolsters, and fits great.

I can take a picture for you later today if you want to see what it looks like in the car. Just let me know.

Attached Thumbnails Please Help: No baby seat fits properly back there...-ebseat.jpg  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Please Help: No baby seat fits properly back there...