G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Salvage G35

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 05:40 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ChicagoG
The main reason I would like to buy this car is because of the mileage only 15k. But it looks like 90% of you guys are saying I shouldn't buy it, so when I go there tomarrow I will see what Im going to do
Yes the mileage is low but you have more than enough people telling you to stay away for obvious reasons.
The #1 reason being that you have NO warranty on the car, none, zip, nill, nada, nothing! I can not stress it enough that this is a HUGE downside due to the number of small things that pop up and can be repaired under warranty.
Let’s say for instance a window motor. If… better yet when it goes out on you there will be no warranty to lean on. You are going to have to come out of pocket to replace it. The warranty issue in itself should be more than enough reason for you to walk away.

I understand your excitement but look elsewhere and find a vehicle that is trustworthy. Also remember that you can call a dealership with the VIN and they can give you information they have regarding services done on the vehicle.

Old 12-10-2006, 10:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kevinn
I actually purchased a salvaged 2001 Acura Integra GS-R [theft] and it turned out to be a great car. I purchased it from a mechanice and got a HUGE discount. Personally, if you're going to be spending 20k on a salvage title, why not spend more and get a car in better shape?

I lucked out on my salvage car, but now-a-days, the discount is just not worth all the problems in the future.

edit: Definitely make sure it isn't a "Katrina Car". If it is, this shoudln't be a tough decision.
+1 just because it was salvage does not mean it is a POS like some are saying

salvage cars have been bought & sold in the US for over 30yrs it was just a dealers secret. many of u guys parents have probably had a salvage car at one time or another without knowledge of it (there was no carfax or autocheck back then)
just because carfax has brainwashed ppl over the past 9-10 or so years everyone thinks salvage is so terrible, & yes there are plenty of @ssholes out there doin hackjobs on salvage cars & reselling them ...so carfax is a good thing (im not saying salvage is the way to go cuz its a gamble)
most people dont know the circumstances of how a car gets salvaged except the usual (major accident or flood)
most ppl dont know if something happen to their car, like stolen for joyride & has no damage or had a accident that wasnt too bad u can get them to write ur car off as salvage. there is a way depending on how long you been with the company for.
(these are the "good" salvage cars to look for at auctions)

also most insurance companies have a policy for flooding ...if water covers at least 50% of your rotor your car is deemed a flood vehicle, no matter if water never entered your car interior or engine.
now if the new owner changes all 4 rotors afterward is his car a POS now that its salvage?
(these are the "good" flood cars that will have no electrical problems down the line)

back on topic ...i think this guy is just trying to get u there to possibly swindle u, but you really seem like you wanna check it out, best thing I can tell you if u know someone who work in a body shop take them with you & not the guy at the shop that hangs around & never fixes anything!!
if u dont know anyone go to a body shop & offer to pay someone $50-$150 to come with you & tell them u want them to check the frame, undercarraige, door post, front end & pull the trunk lining out & check for rear body damage. no matter what it cost its better to know than not to know becuase you are gambling with close to 20k!!! remember you still have to pay sales tax on car

Last edited by Paperchaser; 12-10-2006 at 10:35 PM.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:51 PM
hwa
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the strict definition of "salvage" anyway? Do the repairs have to fall in some threshold of a repair cost to value ratio or maybe any car that has a documented accident history on it?

Old 12-10-2006, 11:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hwa
What is the strict definition of "salvage" anyway? Do the repairs have to fall in some threshold of a repair cost to value ratio or maybe any car that has a documented accident history on it?
definition is: any car an insurance company deemed a total loss, meaning if cost of fixing the car is I "think 95%" of the cars value or higher.
It has nothing to do with frame damage or flood damage, its all about the dollar amount to fix. (although frame damage with make that dollar amount go up signifigantly)

whats not stated is ... they are only allowed to use BRAND NEW dealer OEM parts to come up with the total for all replacement parts for the car, they cannot even use OEM used parts like from a junkyard, to get this total.

this is why if a 03 & a 06 G35 sustained 25k in damage ...they will fix the 06 but salvage the 03, & only because the 06 is still worth about $35k while the 03 is about $25k depending on mileage
they rather save 10k & cut u a check for 25k & fix ur 06 than pay u $35k & salvage ur car

Last edited by Paperchaser; 12-11-2006 at 12:02 AM.