G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Down shifting!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2003, 12:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Down shifting!!!

Is down shifting a bad thing for your transmission?
I was having a discussion with a gentleman and according to him down shifting puts strain on a transmission and brakes should be used instead.
Is this true?
What is the down side of using breaks only when slowing down?
What is the down side of down shifting when slowing down?
Any takers?

Old 11-13-2003, 12:55 AM
Re: Down shifting!!!

No... Juss match ur revs .. Don't want to shift from 4th @ 6000 rpm into 3rd .... Otherwise ur fine.

Black / Black 2004 GcoupeMT. Premium. Splash Guardz.

Old 11-13-2003, 08:45 AM

That's like saying accelerating is putting a stain on the trans and you shouldn't do it.

Downshifting might put an EXTRA strain on the trans but that's what it's made for.

Plus the Trans is under warranty the breaks aren't.

2003 G35 Coupe 6MT/Black/Graphite/15% tint

Old 11-13-2003, 08:46 AM

know the max speed of each gear and you are safe, i.e. yu're in 4rth @62mph dont downshift to 2nd because you will hit the redline because max speed for 2nd is around 60, I usually deduct 10mph to the max speed of each gear to give you a nice quick boost, dont forget to blip the throttle,,

Old 11-13-2003, 09:01 AM

Down shifting should not be used as a method for braking (i.e. jerking the crap out of your car by down shifting without matching revs.)

Old 11-13-2003, 10:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Uh, there's a difference between downshifting and braking. Call me a crazed lunatic, but I think brakes are really useful when it comes to slowing a car down. Downshifting is useful when your revs are too low. If you're using downshifting to engine-brake your car, I'm in the camp of people who thinks that's pretty dumb, unless you're going down a steep hill for several miles. Properly executed, engine braking won't cause undue strain on the car, but why even screw with it? Brake pads are cheap. Use 'em.

-Jack
Obsidian '03 G35 Sports Coupe
Titanium '03 MX-5 Shinsen #532

Old 11-13-2003, 12:00 PM

Engine braking should only be used for long, steep downhill inclines to keep the speed under control without overheating the brakes. Otherwise, just stick your left foot on the clutch and your right foot on the brake and put the stick in whatever gear it needs to be in when your right foot is ready to return to the gas.

Another way to think of it is: "New brake pads are cheaper than a clutch job."

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 11-13-2003, 12:08 PM

Everyone is going to have a different opinion, it seems, but I think engine braking is fine is MANY different situations besides steep hills.

I have a looooooong hill in my area that is not really steep at all. But this hill goes on for nearly 2 miles, and any car picks up speed while driving down it. Downshifting a gear will allow most cars to travel down the road without having to brake every 30 seconds.

As for tranny wear vs. brake wear-- Of course your tranny is covered under warranty- but so what? Your clutch is what will take most of the wear when downshifting, and like your brakes, the clutch is also considered a wear item. Rev-matching helps, of course, but most people don't have the skill to perform perfectly rev-matched downshifts.

Bottom line- use your brakes to stop/slow the car. Use downshifting when you want to have fun.

Old 11-13-2003, 12:23 PM

IF engine braking is bad then holding a gear for extended periods for the hills is also bad...in fact if it's ok to engine break on long decents, then downsifting to have some 4-5k rpm apex entry is IMO better since it is not for extended periods where the speed and friction will affect it long enought to heat up tranny. Heat is bad for tranny more so than anything a wise man once told me

Old 11-13-2003, 12:41 PM

From my understanding, shifting in general causes wear on your clutch pad, just like using your brakes causes wear on your brake pads. So, if you downshift a lot, then you're wearing out your clutch pad a lot faster. Which is why people generally ask "would you rather replace your brakes or your clutch?"

G35c 6MT/BS/G/Prem/Aero/Nav

Old 11-13-2003, 12:56 PM

Engine braking downhill doesn't increase the RPM's as much.. you're only one gear down or so. Plus, you're generally maintaining a constant speed. Using it to brake quickly and drop through the gears going into a corner will wear out the clutch and keep spiking the engine to near redline in the process. That's not good for the engine, as you're putting a lot of load on it to slow down quickly instead of letting it rev down with no load. I think the tranny would be fine.

That's the difference.. going downhill, you pick a gear where you still have to give the engine just a little gas to keep the speed up, where the aggressive corner move is forcing the engine to slow down against it's will.

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 11-13-2003, 05:10 PM

Engine braking is not neccesarily a bad thing....... it's the downshifting that causes unneccesary wear (clutch, throw-out bearing, pressure plate, synchros etc...) on the tranny components.

If you think about it, any time you are in gear and not stepping on the gas pedal, engine braking is occuring.

Old 11-13-2003, 06:32 PM

That's fine, but keep in mind that you are causing wear on various components whenever you downshift (rev-matching or not).

It is simple logic that you are causing twice the amount of wear when downshifting when it is not needed. Not that it's a bad thing, but I just want you to know the facts.....

Old 11-13-2003, 07:02 PM

Like MrElussive, I used to not believe that either...and I still downshift occasionally (force of habit, and yeah, I rev-match too) when coming to a stop.

But like I said before, whether you shift up or down, you're causing wear. You're just increasing the rate of wear when you downshift.

G35c 6MT/BS/G/Prem/Aero/Nav

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Down shifting!!!