G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Difference in supercharger BOV and Turbo BOV

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 04:13 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Difference in supercharger BOV and Turbo BOV

Im just reading up on some FI trying to learn amore about it and how to better understand it, but what is the difference in the BOV for a supercharger and the BOV for a turbo?

I see that the vortech comes with a BOV, but it doesnt look like the stillen does...how come? Every turbo kit obviosuly comes with one...

Is there a difference in sound of the blow off

Is there a difference in one blow off release vs the other? (earlier or later)

-sean

Old 12-30-2006, 05:07 PM
1ClssyG
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good question I'd like to find this out also.

Old 12-30-2006, 06:46 PM
Yeah, they have the same concept basically of forcing air into the engine, but i guess its the whole difference that superchargers use pulleys...? Anyways, hopefully someone will be able to give some input on it.

-sean

Old 12-30-2006, 06:57 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Good question.

I would like to know the answer too.

Im guessing they use totally different [mechanical] methods but produce the same sound?

One uses pulley/belt power [super charger] while the other uses exhaust stream [turbo] to power the use of the BOV?

Im just speculating...

Old 12-30-2006, 07:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
stillen is a roots "blower" supercharger...it blows air -

vortech and HKS is a centrifugal - its just like a turbo - air is under heavy pressure and BOV is used

Old 12-30-2006, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by Neal376
stillen is a roots "blower" supercharger...it blows air -

vortech and HKS is a centrifugal - its just like a turbo - air is under heavy pressure and BOV is used
I don't understand your reasoning here.

Both of them "blow" air.

Old 12-30-2006, 09:33 PM
this is easy! one goes PISSSSS and the other goes PISSSSS... o wait, i have no idea either haha but they sound cool

Old 12-30-2006, 09:43 PM
I dont think that the vortech supercharger has the same blow off noise as a turbo, but then again im not sure. I wish someone that had a vortech would chime in.

-sean

Old 12-30-2006, 09:50 PM
Both perform the same function.

It vents the boost psi out from between the compressing means (turbo or blower) and the intake manifold/TB. This is to reduce/relieve "Compressor Surge" which is the build up of psi between the compressing means and the intake upon lifting off the throttle while under boost. The build up of psi causes extra force on the bearings and assoicated parts in the compressing means.
They are needed on turbos especially as they are spinning upwards of 30k rpm (not a typo 30 k) building boost and then you lift off the throttle the sucker(s) is still spinning trying compress air into the motor and the motor no longer has the need for boost and psi builds between the two and the pneumatic signal difference causes the Bypass/blow off valve to actuate and purge air to the atmosphere or back in to the vacum side of compressor inlet.
The purge sound will be greater if veneted to the atmosphere.

As far as the vortech setup goes u could vent the bypass air into the atmosphere and get the sound, though w/ MAF cars that air is calulated and a vent of sorts can cause a rich condition due to the air that is calculated in is vented.

Last edited by Turbo nasty; 12-30-2006 at 09:54 PM.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:12 PM
Banned
The Main difference between the two

[1] Bypass BOV ...that comes with Vortech and other SC's
It stays open under vacuum
the vacuum itself holds the BOV open
when vacuum drops [ giving it gas or going WOT ] the BOV closes allowing boost to build
The boost helps hold the BOV closed
When you let off the gas , vacuum returns and BOV opens again

[2] On a turboed car the BOV stays closed under vacuum
exctly how and when it opens and closes during operation Im not sure on , but I beleive it opens at a set psi to vent when shifting

Last edited by booger; 12-30-2006 at 10:15 PM.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:25 PM
pssssshhhhh

Last edited by Turbo nasty; 12-30-2006 at 10:27 PM.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:27 PM
Originally Posted by booger
The Main difference between the two

[1] Bypass BOV ...that comes with Vortech and other SC's
It stays open under vacuum
the vacuum itself holds the BOV open
when vacuum drops [ giving it gas or going WOT ] the BOV closes allowing boost to build
The boost helps hold the BOV closed
When you let off the gas , vacuum returns and BOV opens again

[2] On a turboed car the BOV stays closed under vacuum
exctly how and when it opens and closes during operation Im not sure on , but I beleive it opens at a set psi to vent when shifting
Booger ...not quite...

Straight off of Vortech site.....

"Vortech Maxflow Bypass/Blowoff Valves improve supercharger operations by opening to relieve unwanted pressure during deceleration, this reduces heat build-up and eliminates compressor surge. These units feature a "rolling diaphragm" design which provides ultra-quick valve response along with unmatched reliability"

They both (turbo and blower) are closed under vacum and boost and only open during the psi differential, and work as I wrote above.

If it was open under vacum that would mean you are sucking in unfiltered air to the motor. Look at where the bypass valve is in the system.

Old 12-30-2006, 11:44 PM
so on the vortech system the BOV is working the same as on a turbo or is this with all supercharger systems? With the vortech kid does it still have that same "pshhh" sound or does it have a different noise? With the vortech being a centrifugal supercharger does it still have that same supercharging "winding" noise or does it have more of the characteristics of a turbo?

Old 12-30-2006, 11:45 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Turbo nasty
Booger ...not quite...

Straight off of Vortech site.....

"Vortech Maxflow Bypass/Blowoff Valves improve supercharger operations by opening to relieve unwanted pressure during deceleration, this reduces heat build-up and eliminates compressor surge. These units feature a "rolling diaphragm" design which provides ultra-quick valve response along with unmatched reliability"

They both (turbo and blower) are closed under vacum and boost and only open during the psi differential, and work as I wrote above.

If it was open under vacum that would mean you are sucking in unfiltered air to the motor. Look at where the bypass valve is in the system.
Well if you read what Vortech writes about the Bypass BOV , I was exactly right on how it works .

IT IS OPEN UNDER VACUUM ..ask any one WITH a vortech kit . You ARE NOT SUCKING AIR IN . Vortechs Bypass BOV is between the blower and the IC . So when open , it is venting the air the SC is blowing . OUtside unfiltered air is NEVER being SUCKED IN . Thats why the BOV is whistling at idle , its blowing air out of the BOV . Thats the difference between a normal BOV and a Bypass BOV . One is open under vacuum and one is not . Ive had mine for almost 4 years now . Ive tried normal BOV's and they dont work on a Vortech kit unless you set it up differently .

Last edited by booger; 12-30-2006 at 11:49 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Difference in supercharger BOV and Turbo BOV