G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Wheel Install - Is it hard?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2003, 09:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel Install - Is it hard?

This is my first time having to have to put on winter wheels and tires. I plan on doing it this weekend. I would like to do it myself.

The tires are installed and balanced on the wheels. Is there anything special I need to know about? Should I use the stock jack and do each wheel one at a time or buy a different kind of jack? Do you need to grease the wheels or anything?

Also, can I store the 18's summer wheels and tires stacked on top of one another and in a cold shed or should they be kept in a heated environment.

Thanks.

Old 11-20-2003, 09:30 AM
Re: Wheel Install - Is it hard?

i've read in other posts that the recessed wells where the bolts sit scratch very easily! be sure to tape them off and use the hand crank not an air gun.

don't start no sh*t, won't be no sh*t!

Old 11-20-2003, 11:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can do them one at a time.

If you haven't done it before, set the parking brake and start on a rear wheel first.

Jack it up, remove the bolts, put the new wheel on, and hand-tighten the 5 bolts. Then, with your socket wrench, tighten them up a little at a time in a star pattern (basically, moving clockwise around the lug nuts, skipping over one each time). This way you apply pressure from the rim to the brake rotor evenly. If you tighten one bolt up real tight before doing the other 4, you can warp the wheel or rotor.

The trick with a RWD car is the front wheels.. there's no tranny or ebrake or anything else to keep them from spinning free. Losen all 5 lug nuts on a front wheel before you jack it off the ground. When you put the new wheel on, try to get the lug nuts somewhat snug before lowering the wheel, then lower it just enough so that the ground grabs the tire and won't let it spin, but doesn't really support the car. Tighten the lug nuts in that star-pattern, then lower it all the way.

If you don't have a torque wrench, you should be fine just getting the nuts as tight as you can with a standard socket wrench.. no extensions or breaker bars.

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 11-20-2003, 12:51 PM

Thanks for the tips, I never would have known not to tighten each nut first. So you can't tighten them enough with the stock wrench? You have to use a socket?

Any thoughts on the storage or grease?

Old 11-20-2003, 01:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh.. forgot about that. The lug nut wrench that came with your car is perfect for the job.

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 11-20-2003, 06:51 PM

i would purchase a torque wrench. always comes in handy. besides you don't want to overtighten your bolts. also don't use your foot to remove the lug nuts. if they are on too tight a breaker bar helps. i like to put some anti-siezing compound on the lug nuts before i put them on.

Old 11-20-2003, 10:06 PM
Re: Changing Tires/Storing Wheels/Tires

It's not hard, and it's good to know how change tires, in case you ever have to change a flat yourself. [Don't want to be trying it for the first time in an emergency].

On the other hand it's not expensive to have a shop do it for you if they're already mounted and balanced.

If you do it yourself, you can just use the tools in your trunk (tire lug wrench, jack). But there are some other useful tools that will make your job easier.

OPTIONAL (BUT USEFUL) EQUIPMENT

(1) one of those larger "X" tire lug wrenches; the one-arm lug wrench that comes in the car doesn't give you much leverage, and aren't very easy to use.

(2) jack stand; the jack the comes in your trunk is typically not that sturdy. If it slips, you can do a lot of damage. A jack stand makes things safer.

(3) hydraulic jack. You can get one pretty cheaply nowdays. Makes job much easier, than using the one in your trunk.

(4) torque wrench. Only a torque wrench can tell if it's tight enough but not too tight [Many people don't bother with this, and many shops over tighten using air wrenches]. You should recheck the torque after a 100 miles or so, especially if the wheels are new. If you don't have a torque wrench, it's still a good idea to check that the lugs are secure after a couple of days.

You might want to check a site like tirerack for lots of tips on how to change tires.

STORAGE
Ideally, you should cover the wheels/tires in those big plastic tire bags that your new tires came in. Seal it as good as you can to help protect from ozone. don't store new electric motors (which produce ozone). You can stack them up (four high is OK). Unheated shed is fine... if the ground is wet, gravel, dirt, then raise above the ground with wood.

Old 11-24-2003, 08:41 AM
Re: Changing Tires/Storing Wheels/Tires

Thanks for the tips.

Put them on this past weekend. You were right, it was easy. They look pretty good for a winter package but for the price they should:

17" Mille Action's with Pirelli 210's