G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Need advice from installers of Borla TD exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2003, 08:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice from installers of Borla TD exhaust

I had a muffler shop install my Borla TD exhaust. Then I went home and re-adjusted it so it wouldn't rattle on the suspension. They didn't do the best job. But I fixed that. The right side pipe clears the suspesion arm by about 1/2 inch or less.
But my real problem is this, the tips of the exhaust hang too low. I have seen another G35 w/ same exhaust (DoingOk's car) and his tips are up tight to the bumper like the stock tips. I have been under the car and can not figure out what to do in order to make the tips snug up tighter to the bumper. For those of you that have done and install, how did you adjust the system so the tips don't hang real low???

BillR

143149-tips.jpg

Old 11-22-2003, 12:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Need advice from installers of Borla TD exhaust

That is really strange. The only thing I can think of is the hangers are bent. I did not have to adjust a thing, it fit perfectly. There is just enough room to get a rag in between the bumper cover and the exhaust tips to clean them.

DG/G 6MT coupe, Borla exhaust, Stillen intake, Z aluminum pedals, clear corners

Old 11-22-2003, 03:11 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Need advice from installers of Borla TD exhaust

BillR-
I watched my install at my local dealer, and all the connections were tight and straight. Only a few adjustments were made to help with clearances at the suspension. My R.S. pipe clears the suspension arm by no less than 1/2".
Like you I came home from the install and made an adjustment, but at the 2 rearmost connections to make the tips stick out equally.
If yours are hanging too low I'm wondering if the connections 'upstream' are off by just a little which may have been enough to cause rubbing, and hanging too low at the rear. You amy be able to adjust upstream connections enough to get the clearance you need and raise the tips, or your system may have been made differently, or bent just that much to cause your headache.
Having looked at mine, and if I had the same issue as you I would cut the rear hangars and reweld them a half inch shorter to raise the tips enough to get the proper clearance.
From what I could see, there isn't enough room to unbolt and raise the rubber hangars, so that's out.
From what I see, just make sure all connections are tight and adjusted properly for clearance and if the tips are still low, then cut and reweld the rear hangars to get the half inch clearance for the tips.
If your rearmost hangars are like mine, they don't sit in the rubbers squarely and could be staightened anyway. So cutting them and shortening them and straightening them would solve the issue.
--
Both sides on mine look like this:

G/L
GSM

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red> <font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>

Old 11-22-2003, 03:48 PM
Re: Need advice from installers of Borla TD exhaus

Bill: My Borla exhaust system hangs up tighter than the original OEM system. Take a look at these pictures The first is the OEM system, the second is the Borla install. I had my work done by a professional mod shop called OPAK Racing in Petaluma, CA.

03G35c/C_Blue/Willow/5AT/Prem/Splash/ SteetPilot 2610/V1/SAT/XM/18" PermaStar rims w/NITTOs/Borla True Dual Exhaust/Gialla Grille/Z Intake/Dynamat Door Kit.

143300-G35 OEM CatBack1.jpg

Old 11-22-2003, 03:51 PM

Here is a picture of the Borla install. Higher and tighter.

03G35c/C_Blue/Willow/5AT/Prem/Splash/ SteetPilot 2610/V1/SAT/XM/18" PermaStar rims w/NITTOs/Borla True Dual Exhaust/Gialla Grille/Z Intake/Dynamat Door Kit.

143301-PICT0359M.jpg

Old 11-22-2003, 09:17 PM

GSM, & CA_Kid, both of yours look like DoingOk's, nice and tight to the bumper.

When I initially adjusted the system, I adjusted upstream (the twin mufflers) to get suspension clearance. I will look again and see what I can do adjustmentwise to help out.

I wonder if the muffler shop put the right muffler on the left side and vice versa!? Is there a way to tell which is left and right???

Thanks all!!!

BillR

Old 11-22-2003, 09:58 PM
O.F. Administrator

Now that you mentioned mufflers, yes there is a difference between the 2. I studied mine closely after unpacking and b4 installing and they were clearly marked passenger side and driver's side on mine.
I climbed under my car to get some pics of the differences in the 2 mufflers. You can plainly see that the passenger side muffler has an upward bias to the exit pipe to clear the rear sway bar. If those 2 mufflers were switched, this may have caused your clearance and tip height issues......
I've attached 3 pics-- the first one shows both mufflers (from the rear) and you can see the right muffler - the passenger side - has that upward tilt to the exit pipe.
The second one is a little out of focus but shows the upward tilt of the exit pipe on the passenger side muff.
The third one shows the driver's side muffler that plainly shows the straight exit pipe.

GSM
GSM

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red> <font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>

143449-Mufflers ( 001.jpg

Old 11-22-2003, 10:00 PM
O.F. Administrator

Pic 2 showing Passenger side exit pipe upward tilt:

143451-Mufflers ( 002.jpg

Old 11-22-2003, 10:02 PM
O.F. Administrator

and finally the driver's side muffler showing its straight exit:

143452-Mufflers ( 003.jpg

Old 11-23-2003, 08:51 AM

Thanks for the pics GSM.

Going to look now. I'll post what I find later today.

Thanks a million!!!

BillR