G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe
View Poll Results: what should i do? what would you do?
buff it out and deal with it
53.13%
cover it up with a front license plate
18.75%
take it back and fill the tow hook to look like an authentic nismo
28.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

new nismo bumper pics + poll

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2007 | 11:59 PM
|
new nismo bumper pics + poll

hey guys,

so i picked up my nismo bumper today from the paint shop and i installed it all day long and made a custom mesh for it too but i have a dillemma...

so i like to do all my work myself and ive worked on cars before so i decided to save myself some cash and do the install of the bumper myself. when i first got it shipped it had no holes pre drilled so i drilled the top holes to mount it and to make sure the lines matched up at the fender and once i saw that it did match up, i didnt bother to cut/drill out anything else, i wanted to get it painted right away!

the shop i took it to said it was going to be 220 and i thought it was a great price, so i said alright and they did the job and called me and was like we have a problem, the bumper didnt turn out too well cause there were small scrathces from the shipping that went un-noticed by both the shop and me. it wasnt untill it was painted did we realize the small scrapes. the guy said he would have the bumper re-sanded,and redone for an addition 120. he was very professional and loved cars, espcially the skyline so i was like sure why not. so anyways i went to go pick it up today and it turned out better but still had very minor imperfections but i wasnt about to wait anymore so i took it. he even went as far as to add an extra coat of paint so there was alot of work put into it. the total was 340 but i asked for a discount cause 340 and the original 220 is way diff.. so we ended up at 320~

i went home and started drilling, dremeling, and cutting away at the bumper, making holes for the side markers, undertray etc... once i had all that done i made a custom mesh and attached that to the inside of the bumper, to that point ive been working on the bumper for about 5 hours or so and i was getting tired and restless, i just wanted to finish it. the last thing i had to do was cut out the tow-hook cover and i was cleaning up the edges with a dremil and because i was tired, rushing, and wanted to get this bad boy on, my hand slipped and slightly scratched by $320 paintjob right under the tow-hook hole...

now here is the dilemma, i hate the imprefection and i hate running a front plate (illegal in MD but w/e) so i was thinking... what can i do to fix it..

1.) buff out the scrathces and wax it

2.) leave it as it is and put on a front plate which would cover it up

3.) take it back to the shop and ask them to bondo the tow hook area and most likely redo the entire thing, BUT this time i wont cut out the tow hook hole and leave it clean like the authentic nismo, (its a poly replica)

i want it to be clean and perfect but i dont want to dish out any more money... what would you guys do in this situation?

oh and as promised the pics... sorry for the quality, i just snapped a few quick ones after the gym using the old digi...

thanks for your help guys~

-alex

Last edited by a13xkim; 02-01-2007 at 12:19 AM.
Old 02-01-2007 | 12:04 AM
wax and buff the crap out of it.

Old 02-01-2007 | 12:07 AM
|
why wont my images show up in the forum... lol

Old 02-01-2007 | 12:16 AM
shouldn't the paint cover up the scratches? maybe it was their fault for the scratches it and wanted u to dish out more money for them to repair their own mistake

Put the plate on it and avoid the cops harrassing you if you have a "no front plate" fine in your state.

Call a paintless dent/body shop.Problem solved.About $50.

Old 02-01-2007 | 12:19 AM
Overglorified Altima
ooooooo

pretty

nismo bumper

should i go back to mine? O.o

take it back and mold the towhook cover

Old 02-01-2007 | 12:21 AM
|
but if i take it to a body shop and have them fill the towhook hole, it still needs to be painted lol

Old 02-01-2007 | 12:22 AM
|
i really want to mold the tow hook but how much you guys think it will cost?

Old 02-01-2007 | 12:23 AM
Nismo bumper............

If it can't be buffed out so it's perfect then take it back!

Old 02-01-2007 | 12:23 AM
What'd you have a tourettes fit??? ok, sorry, just kidding...

I say, put the front plate on and not worry about it.

Two problems solved at once.

Last edited by Devil Dog; 02-01-2007 at 12:26 AM.
Old 02-01-2007 | 03:08 AM
Ouch, sucks man, i hate it when **** like this happens, it very frustrating... and then all your friends tell you "see, you should have had it professionally done". and then your like "*** you man!"....

if i were you, which i might be experiancing the same thing very soon... i would try get some touch up paint, and cover it up, and then wipe it back and forth with a rag, thats what some crappy shops do to "paint" rock chips and such, it might work.

oh and did you get it from Klumzyee? hows the fitment?

Old 02-01-2007 | 03:18 AM
I guess it comes up to whether or not you want a front plate on there. It would suck to pay more money to get it repainted and then get a no plate ticket after that. I'd say just put that plate and on and not deal with the hassle or try to buff it out yourself.

Old 02-01-2007 | 06:07 AM
|
well id rather have a clean look and be able to fabricate something to mount my plate, that wasy i can take it off if i need to for a show or something. but other than the front toe hook mod/ stillen plate holder, i dont know where else to mount it? give it one buck tooth! haha

Old 02-01-2007 | 12:36 PM
its not bad, buff it, if not, use your plate....your supposed to anyway.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: new nismo bumper pics + poll