G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Need URGENT advice - Jack bent and car fell off

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2003, 01:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need URGENT advice - Jack bent and car fell off

What should I do????

I put the emergency brake on, jacked up the rear driver side (fitting the stock jack in the jack point). Removed the lugs, and then the tire (stock 18"). Then I laid the tire down, turned to put the lugs aside and BOOM, my G fell off the jack on what i think is the control arm (see pic above). So I took another jack I had and I got the car back up and the tire back on.

When I looked at the stock nissan jack it was completely bent. The whole thing is twisted and you cannot even turn the screw-thing.

Two questions -
1 - do you think there is any damage and if so what do think is damaged?

2 - I cetainly plan on making a huge big stink about this at my dealership, obviously the jack was faulty; but do you have any specific advice?

Thanks

145695-rear.jpg

Old 11-27-2003, 03:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Need URGENT advice - Jack bent and car fell off

did you loosen the lug nuts BEFORE you jack the car up or AFTER? You are suppose to loosen the lug nuts before you jack up the car.

2003 G35 Coupe 6mt Diamond Graphite
1992 Jeep Cherokee Blk 5.5 RE lift /w 33s
AIM= bkchang79

Old 11-27-2003, 04:38 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeh bad luck on the jack. If it's not exactly sitting square and in the correct locations, it will fold up like a house of cards. It helps to loosen the lugs a half turn b4 jacking.
Also it may have been a faulty jack, so go back to the dealer and tell him what happened and ask him to check for any damage to the suspension.
He will prolly replace the bent jack for you, but ask him about the jacking points for a floor jack should you decide to buy one. Then you could leave that scissor POS in the trunk for emergencies only.
GSM

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red> <font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>

Old 11-27-2003, 04:41 PM

when jacking a car, you should have it in netrual and with the emergency brake off.

Jim
'03 Sedan
Brilliant Silver/Graphite
6MT/ Premium package
Sport tuned suspension
Aerodynamic Body Kit
Navigation and Satellite Radio

Old 11-27-2003, 04:58 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAH....Thats the funniest thing I've heard...I cant stop laughing

Old 11-27-2003, 05:23 PM

Sorry to hear about your experience. Luckily, you weren't under the car!

G35 Coupe. Diamond Graphite, Graphite, Premium and wheel and Tire package. Zaino Baby.

Old 11-27-2003, 07:02 PM

why would u want it in nutral with the E-Break off. i have been doing it all wrong then. i have been leaving the car in park befor i jack it up. but u gotta lossen the nuts frist or ull get a disaster like that. sorry man hope it all works out in the end for u

<a href="mailto:Carlos3186@hotmail....otmail.com</a>

Old 11-27-2003, 08:04 PM

Thanks for you comments. I had already loosen all the lugs before jacking. I, luckily, wasn't near the car when it fell of the jack.

Old 11-27-2003, 08:11 PM

G35Owner: man that sh*t ain't funny man...he could been under the car when that happened...how would you like if you made a little mistake, then came here for advice and all we did was criticize you and make fun of you...this is a place for support, if your gonna continue being degrading to others i suggest you just leave before someone decides to just kick you out...not a real good first impression either considering its your first post...and i can't believe you drive the same car as me...geez the nerve of some people

jarrettblue: i suggest taking it to a professional and see if theirs any damage...maybe someone you know so they don't try and jack with you and rip you off for something you don't need and you might wanna check your camber and alignment also, good luck.

John H.
2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe 5AT-Ivory Pearl-Premium Pkg-Performance Pkg.

Old 11-27-2003, 09:19 PM

jarrettblue, this same thing happened to me. I have changed tires before, I did everything right. The jack that we are supplied with is a piece of sh$#@&t. Don't worry, your car didn't land on the control arm. I had a good look at what the car was sitting on while I was waiting for the AMA. It landed on that metal thing that is medial to the control arm. It sort of juts out and has a circular base. If you plan on changing your own tires, I would strongly advise that you go purchase a floor jack in the future, use the one supplied ONLY for emergencies.

Old 11-27-2003, 10:18 PM

You do need to make sure that your ebrake is up and the car is in park. Not doing so, could result in injury or even death. Take for example, you're changing the oil on the car and it's jacked up w/o the ebrakes up..........guess what will happen if the jack fails or slips?

Using the stock jacks is basically for emergency. Avoid using it, especially if your car is not on a flat surface. Don't even think about it if your car's on a slope.

Take it back to the dealer and see what damage the jack may have caused. Can't really tell from your pic......perhaps, post a close up of the damage.

Old 11-27-2003, 10:29 PM

I used to change oil in my maxima using the stock jack. After reading this thread, I will never make the same mistake again! Just the thought of the jack failing while someone is under the car is scary!

G35 Coupe. Diamond Graphite, Graphite, Premium and wheel and Tire package. Zaino Baby.

Old 11-27-2003, 10:34 PM

Didn't you guys ever take auto shop in high school? The reason you need to have the e-brake off and the car in neutral is that the opposite end of the car your jacking needs to roll as you lift the car. Once your car is safely raised and jack stands are under the right spots, then you can apply the e-brake and put the car in park to prevent it from rolling.

Now if you on an incline, you's have to use your discretion when jacking it.

Jim
'03 Sedan
Brilliant Silver/Graphite
6MT/ Premium package
Sport tuned suspension
Aerodynamic Body Kit
Navigation and Satellite Radio

Old 11-28-2003, 03:06 AM
i.love.gold
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

You guys should NEVER change your oil using the stock jack only. Jackstands are lifesavers.

-------------------------------------------
Ivory Pearl/Graphite coupe
Clear corners-intake-exhaust

*coming soon*
Focal Polykevlar Powers, PG Titanium amps, PG Titanium subs

Old 11-28-2003, 04:01 AM

biscotti , did your jack also bent/break ? Did you get it replaced by the dealer ?

This does not sound good. We all depend on stock jack in case of emergency / in the middle of nowhere / changing a flat etc.

kb9coupe

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need URGENT advice - Jack bent and car fell off