G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Just bought a '06 G35 Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 07:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just bought a '06 G35 Coupe

This is my first post on this forum. I tried to read the "for newbie's" sticky but the link was dead. I'm not sure this is the right section for my question, but o well.

Like I said I just purchased a '06 G35 sport 6MT with the looks package. It had just under 9k miles. I was originally looking at the new 335 BMW, but decided against the extra cost, maintnance costs, and repair costs.

I'm looking to put some of the money I saved into performance upgrades. I'm looking to spend around 4-5K tops with installation. I will look into forced induction eventually, but won't attempt it with the warranty still intact.

So what I am asking is for recomendations on performance upgrades that won't void factory warranty and will work well with forced induction when I do decide to go that route. For better help I prolly will go with either a T or TT someday.

My thinking has led me to exhaust,headers, and intake as a start, but don't know which brands would be best.

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-28-2007, 07:42 PM
Usually everyone on this site is very eager to help, but only when that information is not already available. If you want to see which headers are most popular, do a search on headers for a 2006 coupe. If you can't find the search function, just click the Forums drop down button at the top left of the page and select search.

In my opinion, if you ever plan to turbo the car, I would just save that 4-5k for that project, because it seems like the gains from exhaust/intake are not as big as some would like and more about sound etc.

Congrats on the new purchase!

Old 02-28-2007, 07:51 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the fourm........and congratulations on your new purchase.

There are many upgrades besides the exhaust system...
there is also light weight flywheel/clutch assemblies
Reflashing the ECU
NOS systems......

Suspension improvements.....sways, strut bars...

It all depends on your choices and pocket book

Check some of the sponsors pages for specific brands, and read the diffferent sections on this forum for the item/changes specific to your needs

Good luck with you Coupe...

Old 03-01-2007, 12:33 AM
Thnx guys. After searching I think a 1/2" Plenum and MotorDyne MREV 2 would be a good start. $765 to start + labor.

I searched some of the forums and it seems that MotorDyne may not be the best company for these.

I was thinking about changing/flashing the ECU as my first option, but I was worried about voiding the warranty.

Old 03-01-2007, 12:38 AM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
I would suggest you keep the G stock for atleast 1 month.

You need to know the car before you mod it. Know as in the mechanics (usually stated as "the feel of the car"), and ofcourse, information about the aftermarket market.

Congrats on the G

Old 03-01-2007, 09:27 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by sleepyboy
This is my first post on this forum. I tried to read the "for newbie's" sticky but the link was dead. I'm not sure this is the right section for my question, but o well.

Like I said I just purchased a '06 G35 sport 6MT with the looks package. It had just under 9k miles. I was originally looking at the new 335 BMW, but decided against the extra cost, maintnance costs, and repair costs.

I'm looking to put some of the money I saved into performance upgrades. I'm looking to spend around 4-5K tops with installation. I will look into forced induction eventually, but won't attempt it with the warranty still intact.

So what I am asking is for recomendations on performance upgrades that won't void factory warranty and will work well with forced induction when I do decide to go that route. For better help I prolly will go with either a T or TT someday.

My thinking has led me to exhaust,headers, and intake as a start, but don't know which brands would be best.

Thanks in advance.
everythnig potentially voids the warranty. Modding a car on warranty is always a gamble. HKS exhaust of Fast Intentions, headers - stillen, AEM or K & N Cold Air Intake (not short ram and don't get the z tube), also you should look into a plenum spacer (arguably the best first mod period), and high flow cat's.

Old 03-01-2007, 10:32 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you have 4-5k to spend you should save up a lil more and go boost. You can can a install Single Turbo system APS or Tubonetics for $6500 installed and basic tune.

If speed is not your thing...go for looks. Wheels and suspension. Good set of 20's w/tires should run you between $2400-$2800. Suspension setup coilovers Tein Basic with camber kits $1500 installed.

Old 03-01-2007, 10:50 AM
congrats on the purchase!!

Id look at the Mrev2+plenum spacer combo as that is very popular

other than that, id stick with exhaust and FI

good luck!!