G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

advice on buying please used G35

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 05:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
advice on buying please used G35

after quite a bit of research and test driving etc.. etc.. I have finally decided on buying a used G35.

Now I need to figure out which year, options, color. I was looking @ the BMW 330ci, 350z, and m3 (to pricey)

I'm looking to spend approx 22k or so, automatic a must (15yrs of stick and it's starting to annoy me for a daily driver)

Also how do the larger wheels ride on the suspension, I don't want my ride to be as brutal as all the tuned cars I've been running.

Also how well does the auto tranny hold up, I'm aware of problems they had with the manual tranny in it's earlier stages.

Old 05-10-2007, 05:52 PM
$22k will get you an 03 or maybe an 04. The 17s and 18s should get you the comfortable ride...the 03s had a lot of glitches (bad 6 speed tranny, power window, tire feathering issue...etc), 04s were a lot better

Old 05-10-2007, 07:42 PM
I've seen a couple 04's which is good.. actually the year I was aiming for b/c of the mileage. Coming from Pa that's about the going price 23k or so w/ 37k miles or so.

any other thoughts on the ride or tranny. I keep running into some w/o a sunroof which seems extremely strange to me for a bmw competitor.

more comments, insights etc.. etc..

(i'm was considering lower the car SLIGHTLY, maybe 1/3" just for visual appearance, and going w/ deep dish rims (unsure of size, 18's would probably give me enough sidewall to not give a harsh ride)

Old 05-10-2007, 07:47 PM
for 24 i got myself a late 04 with premium package and areo package....little over 30k miles. Great shape! Also extended warranty, hope that helps!

edit: Im in NJ btw.

i was told by my dealer that all shipped to the US had sunroofs but idk they talk out of their *** often.
Id do 19s with a drop... 18s would work but i think 19s would be the nicest looking. Around me, on stock 17s (YUCK) and the lip im pretty low. I like it right were it is. I have to be careful on some roads around me but im generally fine and have only found 1 driveway i cant make it in (because the town is lazy and wont fix the street -_-). im going for 19s so ill drop it a tad but like the height its at now. After driving through PA a ton i wouldnt want it any lower, trust me

Last edited by Inversed; 05-10-2007 at 07:51 PM.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:02 PM
Wait a few months, you should start seeing '05s and '06s in the mid 20s!

Old 05-10-2007, 08:27 PM
Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Inversed
edit:

i was told by my dealer that all shipped to the US had sunroofs but idk they talk out of their *** often.
hahahaha the dealer told you that

Old 05-10-2007, 10:07 PM
i've seen several now without sunroofs. When i went to the infiniti site to build one out of curiousity. Everytime I selected premium package or aero package it forced the removal of the power sunroof. Makes no sense to me whatsoever.

has anyone had any problems with their auto tranny or do they hold up rather well? Just trying to make sure i'm making the correct choice over the E46 330ci.

Old 05-10-2007, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by DJPlayer
i've seen several now without sunroofs. When i went to the infiniti site to build one out of curiousity. Everytime I selected premium package or aero package it forced the removal of the power sunroof. Makes no sense to me whatsoever.

has anyone had any problems with their auto tranny or do they hold up rather well? Just trying to make sure i'm making the correct choice over the E46 330ci.
the reason why moonroof is removed is because it comes standard with the Premium package...and correct me if I'm wrong, to get the aero package, you have to have the premium package...or was that the sport package, which also needs the premium package....

Old 05-10-2007, 10:20 PM

I haven't found much good information on the 5AT. The gear ratios look to be pretty good so it shouldn't be a "granny tranny". Since I have another weekend sports car and this would be my daily driver, I'm heavily considering the 5AT as well.

Old 05-11-2007, 01:57 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm not one that's racing people at stop lights or taking the car to the track so the 5AT fits me perfect. For an AT I think it's very responsive and still has more than enough get up and go for my needs.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:23 AM
Originally Posted by MeetJoeAsian
$22k will get you an 03 or maybe an 04. The 17s and 18s should get you the comfortable ride...the 03s had a lot of glitches (bad 6 speed tranny, power window, tire feathering issue...etc), 04s were a lot better
Whats this "tire feathering" you speak of?

Also is the sport package the suspension upgrade? any visual identification?

Old 05-11-2007, 02:55 AM
Originally Posted by GT-Booost
Whats this "tire feathering" you speak of?

Also is the sport package the suspension upgrade? any visual identification?
The front wheels/tires wearing on the inside...but that was corrected by warranty for most of those vehicles...

The Sport Package was available starting in the 2005 model and after, and it includes the 19" Rays forged wheels, limited slip differential, sport tuned springs & shocks, and the orange stitching steering wheel. Unless if someone goes out and changes out his steering wheel, which i REALLY highly doubt they'll do and I haven't heard anyone going thru that trouble yet, that's pretty much the only sure way to know if has it or not.

Last edited by MeetJoeAsian; 05-11-2007 at 02:59 AM.
Old 05-11-2007, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by MeetJoeAsian
The front wheels/tires wearing on the inside...but that was corrected by warranty for most of those vehicles...

The Sport Package was available starting in the 2005 model and after, and it includes the 19" Rays forged wheels, limited slip differential, sport tuned springs & shocks, and the orange stitching steering wheel. Unless if someone goes out and changes out his steering wheel, which i REALLY highly doubt they'll do and I haven't heard anyone going thru that trouble yet, that's pretty much the only sure way to know if has it or not.
I did read several different reviews (all by national magazines) complaining that the 19's caused a rather bumpy ride (vs. cars that would be categorized w/ the g35). I did't know they were Rays forged wheels though.. hm.. bet they save some weight on the hefty beast.

my auto question was more in regards to how well it would hold up. Nissan had some issues w/ their manual tranny not holding up. So I was hoping that the problem didn't carry over into the auto's design and load under heavy torque.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:59 PM
I did read several different reviews (all by national magazines) complaining that the 19's caused a rather bumpy ride (vs. cars that would be categorized w/ the g35). I did't know they were Rays forged wheels though.. hm.. bet they save some weight on the hefty beast.

my auto question was more in regards to how well it would hold up. Nissan had some issues w/ their manual tranny not holding up. So I was hoping that the problem didn't carry over into the auto's design and load under heavy torque.
yeah..the Rays 19s are pretty rough...you'll hear and feel the road thru the tires...as far as weight, I believe the wheels themselves weigh less than the 18s (maybe the 17s, but I'm not sure)...however, with the OEM tires on, the entire set weighs more than 18s...the tires aren't cheap either, eventhough they've gone down quite a bit now...I haven't heard of any problem with the auto tranny...

Last edited by MeetJoeAsian; 05-11-2007 at 08:01 PM.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:46 PM
save up a few more beans and go get an 05

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: advice on buying please used G35