G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

should I take my G across the country?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 08:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
should I take my G across the country?

I will be moving from Chicago to Bay Area, CA at the end of Feb. and still deciding if I should ship or drive my car to CA. I am definitely not going to sell my car because I think you all know why. This is the best thing I have ever owned.
It will cost me about $750 to ship and takes about 2-3 weeks to get there. I don't know if I can trust them with my 2004 G. I am thinking about taking a road trip with my G but wondering how comfortable the G is with such a long ride. The trip is 2170 miles long and it will take about 3 days. If anyone here has traveled far with their G please let me know how comfortable the G is. I still haven't decided yet so if anyone knows any trusty shipping company please let me know. Thanks guys and happy new year

Old 01-03-2004, 09:33 PM
Re: should I take my G across the country?

I moved from Chicago to the SF Bay area myself about 6 years ago and drove. However that was in the summertime. If you're driving in the winter, you'll need snow tires and maybe chains as well to get through the Rockies. I would just ship it if I were you. I used Tn'T Auto Transport http://www.tnt-inc.com when I bought my G coupe from out of state and had it shipped. Great service (always reached my agent immediately by phone or email) and they delivered it in great condition sooner than they stated.

Dr. Jim
2003 DesertPlatinum/Graphite G35C 6MT
Aero/Prem/Nav/HyperGround/XMSat/BSM/Tint/ClearBra/CG/NismoChromeShifter/RacePedals/Z-tube/JWTPopCharger

Old 01-03-2004, 09:40 PM
Deep Sea Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove 1500 miles in mine with 3 adult passengers. No complaints from any of them and I was very comfortable.

Russ

Black 6MT Coupe
Jax, FL
PS2 and Headrest thread

Old 01-03-2004, 09:57 PM

I'd drive it. There's alot to see and some fun driving along the way.

HIS: 2004 G35 Cpe 5AT, Desert Platinum, Perf & Prem Package, K&N Air filter, Alba Wheels, ClearBra - HERS: 2004 G35 Sedan 5AT, Ivory Pearl, Perf & Prem Package, Rage Wheels, K&N Air filter, Sat radio

Old 01-03-2004, 10:30 PM

I drove about 2000 miles with 2 other adults in the car, no prob. I loved driving the entire time! haha

'03.5 Silver/Black | Prem | Perf | Aero | Stillen Hi-Flow | Z -Tube | Grounding Kit | Nismo Oil/Radiator Caps | Solid Allum Pedals | Diamond Matts | Tints | Valentine1 | Hide-Away License Plate!

Old 01-03-2004, 11:56 PM

Whether to drive or ship depends on whether you have the time to drive. If you've got the time, you should use the opportunity to drive your G across some wonderful parts of the U.S.

If you prefer to ship, I recommend DAS. I used them to ship two cars from New Jersey to California. I found them reliable, with no damage to the cars. Coincidentally, I believe DAS also handles all of Nissan's auto transportation needs within the U.S. Here's a link to their website: http://www.dasautoshippers.com/dasnew/index.html

RainMeister
'04 G35C 6MT, diamond graphite, premium, nav, aero

Old 01-04-2004, 12:09 AM

I would drive it, so long as you don't mind the miles on the car. I have seen moving trailers with cars in them though I've never known anyone to do this themselves. If you are paying someone to move your belongings you might as well ask about the car too. They would offer extra insurance as well most likely.

I find the G's seats and ride more comfortable than my Cavalier and I drove that from NY to Indy and back last fall. My neck was sore when I got back but I drove each way non stop. I would suggest taking 4 or 5 days instead of 3 and spending a day in Denver or Reno or somewhere else on the way not driving at all that day.

'04 Red/willow 5a, all but navi

Old 01-04-2004, 02:19 AM

I checked out a lot of shipping companies and so far DAS has the cheapest terminal to terminal rate, $670. It will take 2 weeks and I do have to drive about 30 miles at each terminal to drop off and pick up my car. This is not too bad at all. Thanks for the link guys.
On the other hand, I have not been to a lot of places in the country and this is my chance to see things across the country. My fiance will come along if I decide to take a road trip so so far I am planning to stop by grand canyon and las vegas. Where else should I stop on the way guys?
If this is a summer time, I would drive my G to CA without any questions. I used to live in Buffalo, NY so I know how bad it is to drive in snow. I really don't want anything to happen to my new G that's why I am still hesitating of driving it across the country in the winter. Thanks for the replies so far guys.

2004 coupe Laser Red/Willow

Old 01-04-2004, 04:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My little Bro has an 03.5 Coupe he bought in Florida last Feb.
He finished college this last summer and packed some stuff and drove all the way back out here to Cali loaded including his 2 cats. Of course I freaked and told him he should of flat bedded the car or left it there but he didn't listen. He said the trip was great and the G ran like Butta'. Of course he also has a clear Bra installed and did the trip during the Summer, two things that I would highly recommed if you do make the trip. He had to move back to FL recently to start OCS and although he said the G was still smooth as ever he said he did have alot of issues going through differant winter climates on the Sport Wheels and tires. Good Luck.

-Jason
Laser Red '03 6MT

Old 01-04-2004, 04:24 AM

I can't deny that the drive would be great, especially if you've never done it before. I'm sure the G would do quite well (minus the front bumper chipping to hell).

Personally I trailered my G just moving from Ventura County, California, to Las Vegas. I hate putting miles on my baby, but that's just me.

Old 01-04-2004, 10:47 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Go for it! It should be fun. Just remember to put one of those removeable bras on.

04 G35C/IvoryPearl/5AT/Premium

Old 01-04-2004, 01:10 PM

I think it would be fun and I'm acutally planning a trip that like in the future...once the g isn't that new anymore.
BUT...keep this in mind. I think the federal milage rate (which includes depreciation, gas, wear and tear) is $0.36/mile. That means a 2170 trip will "cost" you $781....and that doesn't take into account hotels, food, your time and the fact the g is a bit above average value-wise.

One question: Do you have nav? I would think that would make quite a difference!

Old 01-04-2004, 01:23 PM

ship it

Old 01-04-2004, 01:45 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I drove my Gs from Indy to Las Vegas in two days of driving... not too hard at all, and definitely a good experience. I stopped in Breckenridge, CO for a few days, and it handled just fine in the snow. Sat radio, CDs, and "driving buddies" made it easy... I didn't see a single G on the entire trip, too. Odd.

G

2003.5 Black w/ Willow G35
Premium / Sport / Aero / Winter / Navi / Tint

Old 01-04-2004, 07:13 PM

You own one of the best cars made for long, interstate driving trips.

Drive it!!

Or let me drive it for you! I'll fly back after it's delivered

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.