G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

6MT Smells in the snow.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 08:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 6MT Smells in the snow.....

I get the same smell. I don't think it is the brakes or the clutch because when I drive hard in dry weather (cold or otherwise) and I brake hard I don't get a smell. The clutch does smell if I spend alot of time slipping it, but it is much stronger when it is icy or snowy out. I personally think it is the differential shifting power between the tires. I know they get hot cuz we took my friend's fx out for a spirited drive in the snow and when we got home we smelled that same smell (first time ever for him) and the differential was actually hot enough that if you put snow to it it turned the snow to steam!!! My hope is that as the car breaks in and the factory coatings burn off this smell will subside just like when you replace a clutch.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

2004 G35 coupe - 4150K high/fogs - more to come

Old 02-06-2004, 09:57 PM

6mt dont smell... rear wheel drive cars smell with the vdc kicked in. Its working its buns off to save your life.

Old 02-06-2004, 11:03 PM

Driving a 6MT aggressively (or just normally with all the engine torque) with the VDC on, is no different that riding the clutch constantly in normal weather. You will wear out the clutch quickly. Wish I knew the exact mechanics of the VDC system, but believe it disengages the clutch in varying amounts to remove torque from the driveshaft. This pulsing is just like riding the clutch, and will burn out.

I've tested in myself: with the VDC on and frequent normal to easy starts will cause the VDC to kick on. After a while, bad burning smell from the front drivetrain area. Turn the VDC off, and no smell.

However, as I turn my VDC off to start out in first gear (then turn on again once rolling), I notice that the traction control will still kick on while starting in first gear from a deadstop. After rolling, I can spin the wheel freely with the VDC off, and the traction control does not activate (as expected). So even with the system off, its not entirely off, so you still have to take it easy from a stop with or without the VDC off.

So, when I want to start off in bad snow, I turn the system off and still take it very easy. Once rolling, I turn the system back on to protect me from sliding off the road. If I want to have fun in a snowy parking lot (which is frequently), I turn the system off, make sure the car is rolling enough to get into 2nd gear, and do donuts until the cows come home. Just love it. And for some real fun, and to test how the VDC system really works, start a fun donut with the system off, and turn the system on mid-spin and see what happens. Just make sure the entire parking lot area is completely covered with snow -- don't want to hit a dry pavement spot... I absolutely love snow and nice real wheel drive car -- you couldn't pay me to get an all wheel drive -- just no fun.

Hey, if anybody knows the exact technicalities of when/how the VDC kicks in, and interaction with the clutch, please share. I wish the system would just use brakes and throttling to reduce torque, rather than use expensive clutch wearable items (hopefully I am wrong on this, as this is just based on my testing). Just to be safe, take it easy; a clutch job is a HUGE profit maker for dealers.

Old 02-10-2004, 08:41 PM

my 5AT smells like sulfur. its annoying. at first i thought it was probably the car in front of me. its been like this for a couple of months now and, its getting on my nerves.

Old 02-10-2004, 10:14 PM
G35driver.com Moderator

ATTENTION GUYS AND GALS:

Just read this thread in the Tech/Modifications forum...

https://g35driver.com/forums/showfla...sed&sb=5&part=

So check out your engine compartment the next time you smell something burning... perhaps this is related

<font color=green>-Rambo</font color=green>
G35c-6MT-DG/Willow/HyperGround/BorlaExhaust/350Z-intake<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by ramborami on 02/10/04 07:15 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 02-14-2005, 09:54 AM
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by 03G35Black
my 5AT smells like sulfur. its annoying. at first i thought it was probably the car in front of me. its been like this for a couple of months now and, its getting on my nerves.
Sorry for the bump, but I was gonna ask this question.

I'm at about 3600 miles w/my 6mt and I've just started to get this stink outta the front wheel wells. It smells alot like formaldahyde (sp?) and I have idea what it is. I would hate to think it's my pads wearin out already.

Does anyone know?

Old 02-14-2005, 11:50 AM
my coupe smells esp. bad after i eat taco bell

Old 02-14-2005, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by pdjafari
my coupe smells esp. bad after i eat taco bell

You mean Toxic Hell?

Old 02-14-2005, 12:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by don1
Driving a 6MT aggressively (or just normally with all the engine torque) with the VDC on, is no different that riding the clutch constantly in normal weather. You will wear out the clutch quickly. Wish I knew the exact mechanics of the VDC system, but believe it disengages the clutch in varying amounts to remove torque from the driveshaft. This pulsing is just like riding the clutch, and will burn out.
no offense to anyone... but there's no way the vdc is disengaging the clutch. i believe it only adjusts engine speed and braking. i believe the pulsing is from the abs doing its job. if anyone has any information on the clutch being disengaged please report it... because this would be a serious flaw in the system.

-regards.