Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by nutt
wow i learned so much by this thred i love threds
thred? Whats a thred?

Old 11-09-2007, 09:52 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Idle Air Volume Learning

Description:
Idle Air Volume Learning is an operation to learn the idle air volume that keeps each engine within the specific range. It must be performed each time electric throttle control actuator or ECM is replaced, or if idle speed or ignition timing is out of specification.

Preparation:
Before performing Idle Air Volume Learning, make sure that all of the following conditions are satisfied. Learning will be cancelled if any of the following conditions are missed for even a moment.

- Battery voltage: More than 12.9V (At idle)
- Engine coolant temperature: 70 - 100 Degrees C (158 - 212 Degrees F)
- PNP switch: ON (Park/Neutral Position Safety Switch - AT only, MT fully depress clutch)
- Electric load switch: OFF (Air conditioner, rear window defogger, headlamps. Note: on vehicles equipped with daytime light systems, if the parking brake is applied before the engine is started, the headlamps will not be illuminated.)
- Steering wheel: Neutral (Straight-ahead position)
- Vehicle speed: Stopped
- Transmission: Warmed-up (For A/T models, drive vehicle for 10 minutes.)

Operation Procedure:
1. Perform "Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning"
2. Perform "Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning"
3. Start engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.
4. Check that all items listed under the topic PREPARATION (previously mentioned) are in good order.
5. Turn ignition switch OFF and wait at least 10 seconds.
6. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch ON and wait 3 seconds.
7. Repeat the following procedure quickly five times within 5 seconds:
7a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal.
7b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.
8. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 20 seconds until the MIL stops blinking and turned ON.
9. Fully release the accelerator pedal within 3 seconds after the MIL turned ON.
10. Start engine and let it idle.
11. Wait 20 seconds.
12. Rev up the engine two or three times and make sure that idle speed and ignition timing are within the specifications:

Idle speed A/T: 650rpm, + or - 50 rpm (in P or N position)
Idle speed M/T: 650rpm, + or - 50 rpm (in N position)
Ignition timing A/T: 15 Degrees BTDC, + or - 5 Degrees BTDC (in P or N position)
Ignition timing M/T: 15 Degrees BTDC, + or - 5 Degrees BTDC (in N position)

13. If idle speed and ignition timing are not within the specification, Idle Air Volume Learning will not be carried out successfully. If idle speed and ignition timing are within the specification and Idle Air Volume Learning cannot be performed successfully, find the cause of the incident by referring to the following Diagnostic Procedure:

1. Check that throttle valve is fully closed.
2. Check PCV valve operation.
3. Check that downstream of throttle valve is free from air leakage.
4. When the above three items check out OK, engine component parts and their installation condition are questionable.
5. If any of the following conditions occur after the engine has started, eliminate the cause of the incident and perform Idle Air Volume Learning all over again:

- Engine stalls.
- Erroneous idle.

---

Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning

Description:
Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning is an operation to learn the fully released position of the accelerator pedal by monitoring the accelerator pedal position sensor output signal. It must be performed each time harness connector of accelerator pedal position sensor or ECM is disconnected.

Operation Procedure:
1. Make sure that accelerator pedal is fully released.
2. Turn ignition switch ON and wait at least 2 seconds.
3. Turn ignition switch OFF and wait at least 10 seconds.
4. Turn ignition switch ON and wait at least 2 seconds.
5. Turn ignition switch OFF and wait at least 10 seconds.

Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning

Description:
Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning is an operation to learn the fully closed position of the throttle valve by monitoring the throttle position sensor output signal. It must be performed each time harness connector of electric throttle control actuator or ECM is disconnected.

Operation Procedure:
1. Make sure that accelerator pedal is fully released.
2. Turn ignition switch ON.
3. Turn ignition switch OFF and wait at least 10 seconds.
Make sure that throttle valve moves during above 10 seconds by confirming the operating sound.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question regarding the Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning

It says to "Make sure that throttle valve moves during above 10 seconds by confirming the operating sound"

-I tried this step like 10 times and I do not hear any operating sound at all, just silence. Am I doing this wrong? What kind of operating sound does it make?

Old 08-16-2013, 12:26 PM
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey guys,
I just wanted to report that I had the problem with my '03 G35 coupe where I would have to feather the gas a little bit when first starting the car in order for it to settle in to an idle. For me it wasn't necessarily just when the car was already warm, but (although less often..) when it was cold sometimes too.

Either way, I cleaned the throttle body (it was NASTY!), about a week ago, and have not had any problems since. I also notice that it generally runs smoother now too.

Just to summarize the before/after symptoms:
Before cleaning, I'd start the car, it would rev to 2-3k RPM, then immidiately fall to the 100 RPM or below and stall. A little gas pedal work would keep it idle for 2-3 seconds when starting the car, then it was fine.
After cleaning, I start the car, it goes 2-3k RPM, comes smoothly down to about 1300 RPM, then gently settles in to around 700-800 RPM. No gas pedal work required, and it has never stalled again since the cleaning.

To reiterate what others have stressed: When you unbolt the throttle body from the intake DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT disconnect its' wiring harness! Leave it attached while you're cleaning. If you do, you will have to go through the previously mentioned processes of resetting.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remember that brilliant flash of light when you were splicing the wires...

Old 08-16-2013, 12:52 PM
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FARGonaz
Remember that brilliant flash of light when you were splicing the wires...
Wrong thread?? we're not doing any wiring here.