G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Down Shifting Gates Locked?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 05:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Down Shifting Gates Locked?

hey i know you cant downshift into 1st gear cuz the gate is lock and why would you wanna do that anyway 1st gear is mainly for take off, but my question is... is all the gates locked when you need to downshift and youre still going pretty fast? for example im in 4th gear and i downshift to 3rd and then im about to hit a turn so i want to be in 2nd, but when i try and downshift to 2nd it wont let me and i dont want to force it. what i mean by it wont let me is its harder to downshift into 2nd compared to other gears. is it because im still going pretty fast and the gate to 2nd is locked? because sometimes that happens when i try and downshift to 3rd gear also. is it bad to jus force it in? or should i break some more or slow down earlier and then shift downshift? need advice on this please. thanks

Old 08-17-2007, 05:08 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
If you have a 6 speed it sounds like you do not know how to shift...

You should be able to shift into whatever gear...

-Sean

Old 08-17-2007, 05:12 PM
****defected****

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Nismo G

-Sean

Old 08-17-2007, 05:17 PM

-Sean
LOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!

Another G35driver.com moment....i expected nothing less form this crowd

Old 08-17-2007, 05:29 PM
try blipping the throttle...matching the engine speed to the tranny speed.....should slide rite in....

Old 08-17-2007, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by allforthecash
LOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!

Another G35driver.com moment....i expected nothing less form this crowd
lmao I was in 6th gear and i shifted to reverse and the engine went VROOOOM

-Sean

Old 08-17-2007, 05:46 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
lmao I was in 6th gear and i shifted to reverse and the engine went VROOOOM

-Sean
You mean you thought you had it in manual mode but through it into neutral instead?

Old 08-17-2007, 06:12 PM
brb getting cut
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
u guys making fun of me?!?!?!? im a newb MT driver but took the risk of getting my car MT cuz of the 'fun' factor, but today while i was coming back from school on the highway i accidentally downshifted into the wrong gear(5-2) and my RPMS went wayyy high (not redline though, about 5k) and i seriously thought i destroyed the engine right there! do u guys think there was any serious damage done?

and yea i kno im a newb but we all have to work to play right? no one got into an MT car and instantly knew everything that was going on

Old 08-17-2007, 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by redlude97
You mean you thought you had it in manual mode but through it into neutral instead?

no no no i think you got it all wrong 5AT was just a non sport version of the 6spd, so i through it in reverse from 6th...

-Sean

Old 08-17-2007, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by M.I.A. BlazinVQ
u guys making fun of me?!?!?!? im a newb MT driver but took the risk of getting my car MT cuz of the 'fun' factor, but today while i was coming back from school on the highway i accidentally downshifted into the wrong gear(5-2) and my RPMS went wayyy high (not redline though, about 5k) and i seriously thought i destroyed the engine right there! do u guys think there was any serious damage done?

and yea i kno im a newb but we all have to work to play right? no one got into an MT car and instantly knew everything that was going on
5k won't do any harm, I redline the car at least once usually every time I drive it, albeit I only drive it on the weekends though

Old 08-17-2007, 09:05 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Whenever you shift into a gear, particularly downshifts.. the ideal situation is to have your engine RPM match the speed of the transmission. That will allow you to get the smoothest shifts, prolong your drivetrain life by avoiding unnecessary wear(particularly on the synchros), and allow you to go into any realisticly valid gear that you would want to get into at a given speed.

The easiest way to do this is to push the clutch in, put the car into neutral, and blip the throttle so that your RPM's rise up close to the point that they would be at if you were already in your desired downshifted gear already. So, for example... say you're driving in 5th gear at like 55 MPH, and you want to downshift into 3rd gear.... you would put the clutch in, shift into neutral for a moment(maybe let the clutch out if you want to double clutch it), blip the throttle so your RPM's raise up to about 4000 RPM's, and then(if you doubleclutched earlier, you'll want to push the clutch in again now real quick) shift into 3rd gear and let the clutch out and get on the gas so you accelerate.

Old 08-17-2007, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by partyman66
Whenever you shift into a gear, particularly downshifts.. the ideal situation is to have your engine RPM match the speed of the transmission. That will allow you to get the smoothest shifts, prolong your drivetrain life by avoiding unnecessary wear(particularly on the synchros), and allow you to go into any realisticly valid gear that you would want to get into at a given speed.

The easiest way to do this is to push the clutch in, put the car into neutral, and blip the throttle so that your RPM's rise up close to the point that they would be at if you were already in your desired downshifted gear already. So, for example... say you're driving in 5th gear at like 55 MPH, and you want to downshift into 3rd gear.... you would put the clutch in, shift into neutral for a moment(maybe let the clutch out if you want to double clutch it), blip the throttle so your RPM's raise up to about 4000 RPM's, and then(if you doubleclutched earlier, you'll want to push the clutch in again now real quick) shift into 3rd gear and let the clutch out and get on the gas so you accelerate.
No need to stop in neutral, rev matching downshifting consists of:
1. Clutch in
2. Blip throttle once clutch is pushed in
3. Begin selecting new gear while blipping throttle.
4. Once new gear is select, release clutch smoothly

Old 08-17-2007, 09:14 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
No need to stop in neutral
Tell me how you're going to go from any gear to another gear without passing through neutral on a non-sequential manual transmission.

Old 08-17-2007, 09:19 PM
brb getting cut
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
5k won't do any harm, I redline the car at least once usually every time I drive it, albeit I only drive it on the weekends though
well i kno making the engine go to 5k in any other situation wont do it any harm, but it was such an abrupt stop and raise in RPMs that my car lugged back violently and the tires were screeching(not a long sustained screech but a little short one)

Old 08-17-2007, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by partyman66
Tell me how you're going to go from any gear to another gear without passing through neutral on a non-sequential manual transmission.
yes, but you said to put it into neutral, then blip the throttle, I'm blipping the throttle way before I get into neutral.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Down Shifting Gates Locked?