G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Just raced a Mustang GT and......

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 12:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just raced a Mustang GT and......

....i gotta say in complete honesty it was DEAD even.

Let me just say, i don't race. Ever. My car is totally stock.

But today I pulled up to the light next to the GT convertible with clear road ahead. My passanger noticed his tires were bald & knowing how these mustang people are, the thought of a race crossed my mind. Regardless, on the green, i started like normal... creeping forward, granny style. He stays even with me... then creeps slightly ahead of me, then I creep ahead of him, just slightly....Then I see him coming to creep ahead of me again....we are doing 20 ish.

So i said F' it and dropped the hammer. He drops it at the exact same time. ITS ON! ....and we are flying up to around 85.. dead even. I may have inched and i mean inched ahead at the high rpms... but it was way too close to call.

I had to slow down for cars in my lane. His lane was clear so he flew by. Something tells me that this was not the outcome he was expecting. Regardless, he's probably over on the Mustang board posting how he smoked a G35 coupe.

Edit:
my VDC was ON... never thought to turn it off.

03 6MT coupe, red/willow, premium, aero, splash guards, alum pedals, clear corners, 15% tint<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by redwillow on 01/30/04 10:38 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 01-30-2004, 12:42 PM
Re: Just raced a Mustang GT and......

I have a stock AT Coupe.

I raced my friends modded MT 2001 GT from a dead stop to about 100 mph. I beat him by about 1 1/2 car lengths but he said he dropped out of 2nd.

I raced a mid 90's GT from about 50mph to over 140mph. It was a dead tie. He actually had me from about 90-110 but then I caught up. That race was about 2 miles. That was quite possibly the stupidest thing I have ever done.

Old 01-30-2004, 01:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"knowing how these mustang people are"....."Regardless, he's probably over on the Mustang board posting how he smoked a G35 coupe."......those are just stupid statements. Being a former Mustang owner, I speak from experience in knowing that a majority of the time, people just assume that since you have a mustang, you must want to race.

2004 6MT Coupe TB w/Graphite/Premium/Nav

Old 01-30-2004, 01:44 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

people just assume that since you have a mustang, you must want to race.

<hr></blockquote>
well, obviously that was the case here.... mustang owner just had to race, even after i started out slowly. Clearly Mustang owner's actions have created this sentiment. After 8 months of ownership, 1st mustang GT i pull next to HAS to instigate a race with me.

If the owners don't like that rep, perhaps they should stop trying to race every car they see. Actions speak louder than words.

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

those are just stupid statements

<hr></blockquote>
i find it very odd that after having pulled up next to thousands of cars with my G...porsche's, SS's, lexus, etc., none of which ever instigated a race. The very first Mustang GT i pull next to just had to race me. Must just be a big coincidence.

03 6MT coupe, red/willow, premium, aero, splash guards, alum pedals, clear corners, 15% tint

Old 01-30-2004, 01:46 PM

i've only ran 2 mustangs with my G, the first, a gt convertable, it was no contest, had him by like 3 cars out of second gear, second was a cobra, no idea on years either, we only ran to about 3rd gear and he was only inching ahead of me. imo a mustang gt shouldn't be much of a contest, maybe i'm wring though

04, 6mt, Twilight Blue, Premium, Aero

Old 01-30-2004, 03:15 PM

And being a G35 forum we never get those kind of posts ... LOL

https://g35driver.com/forums/showfla...sed&sb=5&part=

Old 01-30-2004, 03:27 PM

i agree, it happens here too.

My comment about posting on the mustang forum was made not because he had a mustang, but because he passed me when i had to stop for cars ahead.

03 6MT coupe, red/willow, premium, aero, splash guards, alum pedals, clear corners, 15% tint

Old 01-30-2004, 04:20 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The MT GT convertibles are fun little cars... I've got one sitting on the garage a few states away. I would never get it as my daily driver, but it's a nice supplemental car for warm days and errands. But my AT Sedan has taken our mustang on every run when we've put them up against eachother. I was the only one driving the G, but the GT had two diff. drivers, so I'm pretty sure it wasn't driver error.

G

2003.5 Black w/ Willow G35
Premium / Sport / Aero / Winter / Navi / Tint

Old 01-30-2004, 04:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mustang gt owners always picked a race with me when i had my TL-S. I always won of course. I always thought that they were kinda slow so it seems odd that one was near to beating a g coupe. My dad had one as a loaner when he got his navigator in for service and the handling in that thing was just horrible.

2004 G35c Twilight Blue/black 6MT
Aero Package -- Splash Guards -- Premium -- Trunk Mat

Old 01-30-2004, 05:42 PM

well it could be my poor racing skills, could be the VDC on, could be he had some mods....or any combination of those things.

Old 01-30-2004, 05:53 PM

Yep!

180156-dragpost.jpg

Old 01-30-2004, 05:53 PM

Yep!

180156-dragpost.jpg

Old 01-30-2004, 06:13 PM
Deep Sea Moderator

I saw another race post and had to rub my eyes and read again after I saw your name as the poster. I never thought I'd see the day that you raced your car. So when are we going to Pecan Park?

Russ

Black 6MT Coupe
Jax, FL
PS2 and Headrest thread

Old 01-30-2004, 06:18 PM

i'm as suprised posting it, as you are to be reading it, Russ.

Like I said, i don't race. But his antics just rubbed me the wrong way today, so I obliged him.

Its funny this hasn't happened to you yet. There doesn't seem to be any shortage of Mustang GTs in our area.

Old 01-30-2004, 07:52 PM
Deep Sea Moderator

Never said it hasn't happened to me. I go out about once a week to find people like that. I've beaten several GTs and ran even with a Mach 1. I don't pull up to lights to "rev" on people, but when they want to race I oblige.

So how did you feel while you were running your car at 5-6k rpm? Even though it was an even race it still had to give you a little rush.

Russ

Black 6MT Coupe
Jax, FL
PS2 and Headrest thread

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just raced a Mustang GT and......