G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

loud road noise a problem ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 12:43 PM
zbr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
loud road noise a problem ?

i have about 1000 miles on my G35c....i am not at all happy about the loud road noise (especially from the front). I have the stock 18" setup.....could it be the stock tires ? Anyone experienced a reduction in noise after switching tires ? Anyone tried DynoMat or something else ? anything work other than turning the stereo up ? $40K is a lot of money to pay for a car that has this problem.

Old 02-01-2004, 01:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: loud road noise a problem ?

get your alignment checked.

03 6MT coupe, red/willow, premium, aero, splash guards, alum pedals, clear corners, 15% tint

Old 02-01-2004, 06:22 PM

Hate to break it to you pal, but the car has a lot of road noise. It is probably the only thing that I think Infiniti got wrong on this car. Michelin Pilot sports are not known to be quiet tires, but the car should have better sound insulation to keep out the noise. Its okay for the 350Z to have that quality since it is supposed to be a "no nonsense" sports car. But since the G35 was marketed as a luxury sports coupe, it should have had more sound deadening material. I still love the car, but I really wish that they would have put in a lot more sound deadening to make the car a quiet, stately, sports car (a la CLK).

Did you ever test drive the car? You could tell on the test drive that the car is not "quiet".

You'll have to live with it . . . I suppose . . .

As for me, I have to hear my wife complain . . ."this car gives me a headache . . ." every time we go out in it . . .(hey, at least she doesn't want to drive it . . .)

Old 02-01-2004, 07:46 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine just likes listening to the exhaust.[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Andrew, We Miss and Love You! Peace!

Old 02-01-2004, 09:40 PM

Oh great, u mean to tell me I'm trading in my ultra quiet '03 Lexus ES300 for a hurricane? We'll I guess that's the price you pay for fun and speed. Someone please tell me I'm doing the right thing. Here's my quiet Lex interior, i'm gonna miss ya.

2004 LR/Willow Auto Coupe, NAV, Premium, Performance, Aero pkg, Splash.

RIP babygirl

181368-lex.jpg

Old 02-02-2004, 11:33 AM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Quick 6,
I went from a 2k2 ES300 in Blue oynx pearl w/ willow interior to a 2k3 G35 Coupe 6-speed black/graphite. The interior was so nice in my old ES300. So was the level of quietness. Those are the only 2 things I miss about the car.

I think I made the right move...The ES just didn't have any real power. Plus, I don't think I'll ever grow out of a Manual gearbox. Having a car with some power and a sweet sounding exhaust is just as good as having an uber-quiet cabin. The ES makes you feel real isolated from the road, whereas the G35 makes you drive.

Anyway I made the exact same switch as you, and haven't looked back yet!

2003.5 6MT Premium Black Coupe Al. Pedals Grounding kit Borla TD exhaust PIAA Z-tube Pop-charger

Old 02-02-2004, 11:36 AM

timely post.. i have 14K miles on my coupe, and have started to get a little tired of the road noise myself. combined w/the various interior creaks & rattles, the overall G35 experience has been less than desirable. its a beautiful car to look at, and it has been fun to drive, but as a daily driver its been a little disappointing. i was thinking of replacing the VR rated Sports w/an HR rating (Michelin), one for road noise, and two the VR sports are freaking expensive!

Old 02-02-2004, 01:01 PM

The road noise is pretty loud on certain roads... The tires are partly to blame for the noise.

Consider Dynomatting the car. I will once I install my new stereo system.

http://www.b-quiet.com/

Blksnake

Old 02-02-2004, 02:38 PM
gsg

Well....this topic has been discussed before, but this is the first time I've noticed everyone in agreement about how noisey this car is inside.
Contrary to what others have said, I don't think it is primarily the tires. I think it is just poor sound insulation that lets in any outside noise - wind, road, tires, etc. I have noticed it from the first day I got the car, and I don't think the pilots were noisey when brand new.
Coming from a BMW I noticed the noise right away. It kind of sounds like a window is cracked slightly opened, but its not!
I agree with the person who said this was their biggest complaint with the car. Yes it is a sports car......a loud engine or exhaust would be understandable..... but the noise on this car is just irriitating wind & road noise. So Infiniti goofed here.

Old 02-02-2004, 02:51 PM

I guess its all relative.

Go drive a Civic for almost 6 years...this car is SILENT inside.

2004 Twilight Blue Coupe
6 spd
Premium Package
Aero Package

Old 02-02-2004, 04:19 PM
gsg

A civic is not expected to be a luxury car and doesn't cost $35K. The Infiniti line is trying to compete with BMW, MB, & Lexus and that is what their cars should be compared to; and compared to them it is noisey inside.

Old 02-02-2004, 05:26 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I sold my I35 to purchase the coupe...when I test drove the coupe with my wife she complained to me and the salesman that this car was so noisy for the price they where asking....I felt the same way and went out to test a BMW 330i coupe...it too had some typical road and motor sounds associated with a "sport" type of car....after I took delivery of my coupe...I still had my I35 because I sold it privately....so every other day I would use each car....the difference was night and day....the I35 has basically the same engine w/less power....I never had a complaint about the performance of my I35...it was very quite and rode like a dream....but it didn't have the brute power of the G or the handling!!!!! I guess maybe a Mercedes 500sl is what we want with a $35,000 price tag....besides if they sound deaden the whole car its only going to add more weight to what I consider a heavy sports car to start with...so this topic is debateable from every angle....bottom line I'll keep my coupe thank you......2old4this

04 cpe ivory pearl/willow/5at/prem/sport wheel pkg/clear corners and Piaa's waiting to be installed

Old 02-02-2004, 07:33 PM

I don't think the noise is especially loud.. most of the time I'm just enjoying the drive too much. If I wanted a quiet, insulated, luxury car, I'd buy one. I bought the G because it's a good blend of sports car + luxury car. And I actually like the interior of my car (except for the softness of the "titanium" accents). I don't notice any wind noise, just tire noise on certain roads (and that's true even of the BMW we used to have).

Infiniti G35 Coupe - Twilight Blue/Graphite/5AT/18"/Nav/Bose
Zchickz

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: loud road noise a problem ?