G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

G35 Coupe during winter time?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 01:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
spend the extra money and get an awd g if your that concered about it. If you want raw power and dont care about the luxury all that much look at an evo 9 or sti.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:11 PM
im glad this thread came up cuz im was wondering the same thing, its gunna be my first winter with the G and i hope all goes well

Old 09-21-2009, 10:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanx for your input danielrhine. But I already have a 06 coupe. The reason I am asking about the snow tires is because I've heard so many people saying it makes huge differences in the snow.

Last winter I was stubborn and running the all season tires driving even in the worst snow storm in New England. Be quite honest, it was OK! as long as you know how to drive in snow weather and avoid up hills you should be fine.

Having said that, I am not recommending anybody here to run a sets of all season tires in a snow storm. You have to pay 200% attention on the road and tap the gas gentlely.

I ask about snow tires for g coupe is for people who has to drive during winter. And I know it's doable. Any input will be appreciated.

And jbiz23, I will definitely put on a sets of good snow tires(at least the 2 rear ones) if you don't have a second car for winter.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:57 AM
Originally Posted by forzaG35
Thanx for your input danielrhine. But I already have a 06 coupe. The reason I am asking about the snow tires is because I've heard so many people saying it makes huge differences in the snow.

Last winter I was stubborn and running the all season tires driving even in the worst snow storm in New England. Be quite honest, it was OK! as long as you know how to drive in snow weather and avoid up hills you should be fine.

Having said that, I am not recommending anybody here to run a sets of all season tires in a snow storm. You have to pay 200% attention on the road and tap the gas gentlely.

I ask about snow tires for g coupe is for people who has to drive during winter. And I know it's doable. Any input will be appreciated.

And jbiz23, I will definitely put on a sets of good snow tires(at least the 2 rear ones) if you don't have a second car for winter.
Get snow tires my friend. Your safety is worth it, as well as the fact it makes the G35 extremely driveable in winter. I got 4 new Yokohama Ice-Guard tires @ Town Fair Tire for $800. I drove through 2 of the worst snow storms last year with ease. My G was actually the safest car to drive in winter out of my group of friends, and I had the only rwd whip.

vdc + snow tires ftw

Old 09-22-2009, 11:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^^ Agree. Thanks synnikal!

Old 12-09-2009, 01:43 PM
Nin
Just about to go put my blizzaks on my oem 19s.

Anyone else running this setup? Stock sizes, OEM 19" rays...how is it in snow?

Old 12-09-2009, 01:51 PM
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts
everything
We just got 14" of snow last night. It started snowing yesterday so when I drove home for lunch I could barely move, even with VDC on or off. Obviously Kuhmos arent winter tires but my car would not move at all. Usually takes me 20 seconds to get home from work, took atleast 2 minutes, tires did nothing but spin. My driveway is on a little slant and I couldnt even make it into the garage.

Needless to say the G is gonna be sitting in the garage all winter and we're taking my GF's car everywhere.

I dont know how you guys can even drive when there is any snow on the ground with these things. Kinda miss my F150 right about now.

Last edited by G2FLIP4; 12-09-2009 at 01:55 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:52 PM
everything
Originally Posted by Nin
Just about to go put my blizzaks on my oem 19s.

Anyone else running this setup? Stock sizes, OEM 19" rays...how is it in snow?
My brother runs Blizzaks on his Ion Redline. Amazing tires, barely any tirespin at all in the snow

Why not just buy some cheap black steelies and put the winter tires on those? Why ruin stock 19s from salt and dirt all winter?

Old 12-09-2009, 07:56 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
This is the one reason why i had to talk myself out of buying a coupe and get an AWD sedan.

I drove 10 years with RWD cars with a mix of Summer tires, all season tires, and snow tires. Let me just say summer tires in the winter is dangerous. Nevermind the snow, when the temps get below 40* they just do not stick at all. You'll slide around on dry pavement. All-seasons solve the cold weather prob, but they still blow in the snow. Snow tires make the job somewhat better, but if you have a car with torque, you are still screwed...especially if it's an AT and you can't rock it or start in 2nd like a MT car.

So in the end, i went AWD...and it's just awesome. Even with all-seasons it's point and shoot basically. I was out in today's storm all day with all-seasons and had zero probs. Next week, i'm getting my snow tires on so i expect to have an easier time.

If you NEED to drive your RWD coupe, i highly suggest looking into snow tires. They make a difference.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:29 AM
I accept with information:It's all about the snow tires. You people who are driving on summer tires and saying 'no no no you can't drive a G in the winter' need to educate yourself on winter tires fast, because you are heading straight towards an accident.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:57 AM
Received 98 Likes on 82 Posts
I wish I could put on my rays 19" but they have summer tires, maybe next year ill get winter tires for the rear and put snow tires before next winter starts, that way I can rock em all year and put the summer tires back on in the spring.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:17 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
No snow tires on my G and I do fine. Its all about how you drive. Go slow and brake way in advance.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:33 PM
i have 245 20 35 toyo summer tires on the front and 275 30 20 in the rear...

i have the luxury of being able to work from home in dec jan feb as my boss is super cool...

but yeah, last year i had the OEM 19s on my coupe and it was basically a joke in the snow... when i hear its gonna snow, i basically just know to warm up the playstation or get some **** over here...cause i aint going no where until it clears up...

but hey...everyone...i just put these 20 inch performance tires on my coupe... i havent noticed any changes below 45 degrees its been 30 degrees many nights and i really havent been driving like i stole it, but the car still handles hella sexy... i know in the snow i basically cant drive, but i thought i would have gotten loose a few times in the last few weeks on a turn or something, but i havent.... or is it just reaaaaaaaaally bad below 30 degrees...like when its 15 degrees and i hate new jersey

Old 12-10-2009, 08:42 PM
everything
Originally Posted by Tollboothwilley
No snow tires on my G and I do fine. Its all about how you drive. Go slow and brake way in advance.
Not really, Ive been driving for 13 years and never once went in the ditch, I know how to drive, driven FWD, RWD, 4WD, this car is riduculous in snow. Going slow and braking arent the problems its getting these tires to bite, I have to baby the gas and clutch just to get going everytime and the *** end still slides sideways no matter how slow im going, I can just barely let the clutch out and the *** is headed towards the side of the road. Starting in 2nd isnt much better either.

Glad mines sitting in the garage all winter

Old 12-10-2009, 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by G2FLIP4
Not really, Ive been driving for 13 years and never once went in the ditch, I know how to drive, driven FWD, RWD, 4WD, this car is riduculous in snow. Going slow and braking arent the problems its getting these tires to bite, I have to baby the gas and clutch just to get going everytime and the *** end still slides sideways no matter how slow im going, I can just barely let the clutch out and the *** is headed towards the side of the road. Starting in 2nd isnt much better either.

Glad mines sitting in the garage all winter
yeah, you basically have to start in 3rd to have a fighting chance

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 Coupe during winter time?