G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Response to "READ Before you post!!"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 10:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Response to "READ Before you post!!"

The thread was locked when I tried to post so I am reposting here!
Can you censor this website anymore? I understand 1, 2, and 3 but 4, 5, and 6 are true forms of censorship. I think if you are going to be a moderator you shouldn't interject your opinion in your rules...example "You know what, who cares!?" I think people do care, and you shouldn't think that you can speak for everyone when you are making this statement and for the ones that don't care they should make educated decisions not to read based on the subject or the first few lines of the post, so these people don't "waste their time"
One of the things I have enjoyed about this site is reading different peoples opinions and these rules will stifle that to a degree. I think where the line should be drawn is where your current rules are and that is when people start disrespecting each other while debating and not using fact or logic, just name calling. This gets tiring.
Maybe what should really happen is that you should just state that unless you agree with something that has been posted don't post anything at all...anytime you have conflicting opinions it will eventually lead to arguments and flames and if you want to really prevent it you have to eliminate the problems themselves not the symptoms of the problems. This is in essence what is being done by making these rules, you are making rules that would not strive in a free society and are only making rules that a dictatorship could accomplish.
It's probably easy for anyone who has a different opinion than I do to say "If you don't like it then don't come here"...This is where it's not that easy because I do like coming here, and this statement would be similar to people that protest issues against the government that they disagree with...and with the way America is the way it is we can't just tell Americans "if you don't like it leave" This would not be right. I guess what I'm trying to say is that this entire post is just my opinion about some of the things that were listed in your post. That's all, nothing more, nothing less.

P.S. Being a moderator and a representative of a very professional website you should double check your spelling before you post....Please don't take this offensively, this is just a little constructive criticism.

Old 03-25-2004, 10:47 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Response to "READ Before you post!!"

Ilust4G,

I posted very similar comments. You hit the nail, censorship is my concern as well. I am on other non-car related forums as well and usually the rules are straight-forward and censorship only comes in when posters are being personally abusive. I get the point that organization could at times be better but from the users of this forum I'd hazard a guess that it hasn't been that far off base. I felt the post was a little belittling if you ask me and the intelligent and mature posters may take offense as a few of us seem to be commenting on.

Bottom line is we can play by rules as long as they are clear, but lets not make rules by personal opinion as Ilust4G noted.

My 2 additional cents

Old 03-25-2004, 11:11 AM

Quit being a bunch of crybabies. If those are the rules for the site, then thats the rules. If you don't like it then go away. Please, no need for the Freedom of Speech BS. This site still is owned privately as are most websites, so just live with it. Too many damn internet crybabies nowadays.....

Old 03-25-2004, 11:12 AM

I personlly don't see why flame wars are so bad. I think they are entertaining to read, and sometimes a little light hearted jabbing is necessary to get a point across to someone that JUST DOESN'T UNDERSTAND SOMETHING.

Unless there are cases of someone threatening physical harm on someone, what's the big deal? If someone calls you a name for something, ignore it! It's just a message board!!! Not real life!!! I could pretend I'm a 23 year old hot chick and have every guy on this board ready to send me cash for a plane ticket for a visit. Although I present myself as I actually am, should I go off the handle and call someone a 'loser', I'm pretty much a doofus, so feel free to ignore me. =)

I say let the flaming in!!! It's fun!!

Old 03-25-2004, 11:36 AM

shl11111,
I think these rules are specifically made for crybabies who can't stand there ground when someone has an opinion that differs from there own. I agree with you that there are too many crybabies out there...and that is why I think this website should allow some of the things they are trying to prevent from happening. I have a question about your statement "If those are the rules for the site, then thats the rules." Do you have this same sediment for the US government? Do you just sit there with your tail between your legs and say "well now that's the rules so I just have to take it or get out of the country" or do you attempt to voice your opinion and possibly vote for what you think is right. It's too easy and chicken s--t in my opinion to say "well those are the rules" maybe you were a lemming in your previous life. Bottom-line is that I agree with you about the crybabies and this is what prompted me to speak up about how I feel. Personally I think it keeps things interesting when I get to read about peoples opinions without censorship, as long as it's done tactfully and without the unfounded name calling.
When there are too many people that agree with each other it creates redundency and this is not good for business no matter how you look at it.

Old 03-25-2004, 11:38 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

SHHHHHHHH

That's your opinion...obviously isn't mine. I'll restrain from blasting you since it probably wouldn't do much good. Thanks for the mild personal jab.

But I'll say one thing....you don't know what you've got till its gone. Go to China where its a completely different story sometime and you'll see what we mean. Censorship may seem trivial to you but somebody has to fight against it. Trust me....I know how to leave a site, but it would be a shame to see a pretty decently run site take a turn on censorship road. Yes I agree its not the end of the world and this is ONLY a car forum, but some of us DO care. Just because a moderator has an opinion doesn't mean that should be forced down our throats...does it?

Old 03-25-2004, 11:46 AM

First the FCC with Howard Stern, and now Malx with this site. We the members made this site what it is. Sure its privately owned, but at the same time, I'm sure the private owner of this site will be very upset when all the visitors of this site slowly begin going to other g35 sites out there. Of course no one condones street racing because it is illegal, and it is serious. Front window tinting is illegal in many states, too. Are we allowed to post about that, Malx? This site not only brings more knowledge to me about my awesome car, but at the same time, bring me much enjoyment, developing relationships with fellow members. I feel, as do others, that if people are going to prevent me from saying what I want to say, about what I do with my car, etc., I will take my thoughts, experiences, and stories elsewhere, probably with a bunch of other people with me. Sure, the organization of the forums is one thing. I enjoy finding threads about wheels in the wheels section, not in general, and so on. But to prevent the loyal members of this site, the members that have made this site the #1 G35 site on the web, from speaking their mind, sharing any of their experiences, and expressing their feeling, this unfortunately could lead to a disloyalty. Hopefully my post does not go unread and unheard, as I feel this is a very worthwhile site, but the restrictions placed upon it will make it feel more like a middle school, than a site meant for the enjoyment of all of us. Thanks for your time. Please let me know what you think.

Mitch K
2004 G35C AT
Blk/Blk
Prem.Aero.Perf.Nav
Nav/TV Tuner w/ PS 2
2-10" Subs w/ Rockford Amp
Clear Corners
Pop Charger
Z-Tube

Old 03-25-2004, 11:56 AM

Ilust4g,

No, my statement does not include the government. Hello, this is the INTERNET, hellloooooo. I do agree with you on censorship, we all must do our part when it comes to freedom of speech in the general public and voice our opinions in order to keep all our rights and to keep others from infringing upon them.

I know I was a bit harsh earlier but I'm kind of sick of how everyone thinks the internet is this ultimate haven for freedom of speech. I believe its not because people still need to pay for websites, hosting, general upkeep. If you do wish to have a site for total freedom of opinions then those that wish for it should create their own websites.

I will stop my ramblings now. $0.02

Old 03-25-2004, 12:04 PM

This is a private site and they can make, change, and enforce whatever rules they wish. The FCC only controls TV and radio; all other forms of public communication are free from their intervention. In any case, censorship here is completely nonsequitur because this site is privately operated.

With that in mind you have three options:

1. Abide by the rules and pay the penalty when you get caught breaking them.
2. Lobby to change the rules so they are more to your liking.
3. Go elsewhere to get what you come here for.

Surprisingly, those are your exact same options regarding laws in the United States: abide, help change, or get out.

Black/Willow 03.5 6MT, Premium, Navi, Aero, SAT
350Z Nismo CAI

Old 03-25-2004, 12:06 PM
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem is beause everytime someone posts topics like that it just turns into a flaming match over the internet. The staff, myself included, is sick of getting PMS from people complaining about other members being immature. We have to take these measures for our sake.

Thanks - Joey Avino

Old 03-25-2004, 12:18 PM

Wouldn't it be funny if shl11111 was one of the complainers.

lawman

Old 03-25-2004, 07:14 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yet again, Shader7 has hit the nail on the head. A constructive, well-thought-out post with a suggestion (or three) for action... I wouldn't expect any less, and wish we had more members like this in the community.

This site is not regulated by any US governing body, to a point. The internet's funny like that (Nuremburg Files, anyone?). If you have a problem with censorship and freedom of speech, then you have mistaken this privately-owned internet site for something quite different.

As I said before- practice common decency, and all will fall into place. It's not hard [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

G

2003.5 Black w/ Willow G35
Premium / Sport / Aero / Winter / Navi / Tint