G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

G35 coupe prospect. Please assist.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 01:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 coupe prospect. Please assist.

I am looking into purchasing a g35 coupe. I am very excited about having a G as i always wanted one from 2003 when they first came out. I would like to know some things before hand about this car before i make a decision on which specific car to purchase. This place is probably the best place to find these answers and i am sure this being my first post asking questions that have been asked previously, will give me some negative feedback from some users. I guess i am ready for it because the questions i have are definitely not answered in the same thread.

What are noticeable changes that took place in the g35 coupe from year to year? what would be the best year to buy?

What insurance rates are most of you paying? please include your ins. comp. and your age as well as your driving record.

What are known issues that arise during some time of ownership of this car?

I read that g35 coupes eat up tires like its no bodies business. how accurate is this statement? are there ways to change this issue?

The brakes need to be replaced too often? if so, how often?

the paint quality is not the very best. true or false?

18 mpg street/20-22 highway... Am i expecting too little or too much?

As far as my concerns go... i would wish someone knowledgeable answer these questions for me and if they have any further information on somethings i should look for when making a decision to purchase a used G35 coupe then please do share your thoughts. I value you opinion to a high degree.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:23 PM
Hi kapatel - that's a lot of questions and I'm sure you'll see a lot of opinions. I'll do my best to give you my two cents.

First off, the "refreshes" to the models were every two years or so. The '03-'04s were the originals (plastic center console is a good way to spot them), '05-'07 had an upgraded interior (more real metal, better gauges, etc.) and also higher max HP in the manual tranny (at the cost of a little max torque). The G37 is the newest redesign, with new styling, new engine, etc.

Insurance will be all over the map. I recommend calling some companies for quotes for YOU. What I pay in my state is totally irrelevant to your situation.

Major issues include the oil consumption issue (check the sticky thread), though it is not universal.

I've done fine on tire wear, but others can chime in. The big issue for me is that you need winter tires if you expect snow. This car is a veritable death trap in the snow on the summer 19"s. I dropped about $1400 and got a set of 17" wheels (they look perfectly nice) and Dunlop Wintersport M3 tires. Now it's passable in snow/slush. I just change the wheels once in spring and once in early winter. Saves on tires, too.

Brakes are also highly variable. I have 23k on mine (2005 Coupe 6MT) and have between 50-80% life left in my pads. Many dealers want to replace the rotors, though, when you run the pads out, so it might be $500+ for a full replacement.

Paint is paint. I have noticed some chipping from road debris, but not so different from other cars I've driven that I can say it's a major problem. At least the quality of the paint application is good (no orange peel).

I have tracked my mileage for 2 years now and get between 18.5 (mostly local) and 23 mpg (almost all highway). My overall average is 19.74mpg. I don't baby the car, but I'm also not tracking it.

I think the main goal of any used G purchase is getting one that's been well cared for. Personally, I think the interior upgrades in '05 make it worth looking for '05+ vs. a '03-'04, but that's just me. The major differences in price will probably have to do with the options (the Premium Package with sunroof, Bose stereo, etc. was $2k and the nav was $2k in terms of MSRP).

Good luck!

Old 03-20-2008, 03:13 PM
Banned
just buy the dawm fawking car, you won't regret.. but make sure bring someone that know alot about car to take a look for you!! it's the fasted sport car i ever own!!! love it more than my wife!!

Old 03-20-2008, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by kapatel
I am looking into purchasing a g35 coupe. I am very excited about having a G as i always wanted one from 2003 when they first came out. I would like to know some things before hand about this car before i make a decision on which specific car to purchase. This place is probably the best place to find these answers and i am sure this being my first post asking questions that have been asked previously, will give me some negative feedback from some users. I guess i am ready for it because the questions i have are definitely not answered in the same thread.

What are noticeable changes that took place in the g35 coupe from year to year? what would be the best year to buy?
Theres a thread on the changes, I will try to find it. 05+ ahve a revup while the 03-04 do not. However the 03-04 have brembos and the 05+ do not. The 05 Interior is a lot better and they are still under warrenty. The rear spoilers in the 03-05 bigger. I think(think) the smaller ones came in 06, correct me if I am wrong.

What insurance rates are most of you paying? please include your ins. comp. and your age as well as your driving record.
I am 17 and my insurance would be $260/month. I did have 1 fender bender(My moms cheap azz tire's sidewall blew out and I put the car into a wall, $2000 damage). But that did not effect insurance since it was my fault. I acctually was rewarded $10 off a month for saving more damage! I have all state. Type in "insurance" in the search and you will see a very long thread about prices/companie/everything you want to know.

Windows, clicking, 03 the radio dies, 05+(mostly 05) oil consumption. They are pretty much all the biggies.

I read that g35 coupes eat up tires like its no bodies business. how accurate is this statement? are there ways to change this issue?
Some G's might, BUT most do pretty well with tire life. You can allways fix that problem with a few aftermarket pieces.

Not sure, sorry.

Paint sucks! end of story.

Varies, how heavy is your foot?

As far as my concerns go... i would wish someone knowledgeable answer these questions for me and if they have any further information on somethings i should look for when making a decision to purchase a used G35 coupe then please do share your thoughts. I value you opinion to a high degree.
Try to get an 05 if you can, or get an 03-04 if you get a great deal on it then mod it.

Hope I helped, Search and you will find more detailed explanations.

-AGThing1227
EDIT**
https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07/208120-changes-05-vs-06-a.html
https://g35driver.com/forums/buying-selling-leasing-discussion/207442-typical-crap.html
https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...ight=Insurance
https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...ight=Insurance

Last edited by AGThing1227; 03-20-2008 at 04:02 PM.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:55 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by lov3rboy408
it's the fasted sport car i ever own!!! love it more than my wife!!
A G35 Coupe is really not that fast at all. Your experience with owning sports cars is obviously very limited to nonexistent if the G is the fastest sports car you've ever owned.

Overall.. I think some of you guys who responded already to this thread are being a little harsh on this guy for asking these questions about the car. More people in general should spend additional time/effort researching their car decisions before buying, rather than just buying on a whim because they like the way the car loooks.... particularly with a used car that's likely nearing the end of it's factory warranty term.

Now that I'm done ranting.... Here's my feedback on your post:

03/04 are pretty much the same... '05 got a newer rev-up version of the VQ engine in the 6MT coupes..... interior changed slightly due to some stitching on the steering wheel and leather quality, rim/tire packages are different(bigger 19" wheel options in '05+ with different design pattern), plus the '05's could be had with a sport suspension option that didn't exist on the '03/04 Coupes. Brembo brakes were discontinued after 04. There were more changes in the '06 coupes such as the addition of the rear active steer option, revised front bumper, some interior changes, etc, and projector headlights. Certain colors were added and discontinued too in some of those years, but I won't delve into those details.

I'm not even going to bother with this one because it varies soo much depending on what state/town you're in, and what your driving record is.

Rear axels that click and sometimes sound like chains dragging on the road.... TSB's cover the fix if you're car's under warranty. Power windows motors/actuators failing are common. Some people have had transmission problems with the 6MT's... but that's probably only like 5-10% of all 6MT's that have an issue with it. A lot of the '05+ rev-up motors have oil consumption issues. Some people also have problems with the filer neck on their gas tank and the pressure relief valve causing the car to not let them fill all the way up without the pump shutting off.... there is a TSB covering fuel filler neck issues due to them being prone to cracking.

Pretty accurate.... they have an aggressive OEM allignment(which helps with handling but wears your tires out quicker) and one of the parameters was not adjustable on the '03/04 Coupes... so you couldn't fix it without putting in aftermarket control arms that were configurable and allow you to change that other parameter.

The '03/'04 Brembo brakes wear out pretty fast and are real expensive to fix if you use OEM parts, but they stop insanely good and look fantastic. Worth it IMHO. The non-Brembos don't wear out as fast... particularly on the '05+.

The paint quality absolutely sucks. Chips galore, especially if you drive on the highway a lot. One of the cars biggest weaknesses.

Sounds pretty accurate... but it's heavily dependant upon how hard you drive. If you drive pretty light, you'll probalby get about 19-22/23 across the board. Some people say they get 26+ MPG on the highway.. but don't expect that unless you drive at 60 MPH on the highway. I get like 22 to 24 MPG on the highway at around 70 MPH. You'll want to get a Z-Tube and aftermarket high-flow air filter element(drop in replacement is fine) in order to get your economy up a little higher... even then, I still only get the 23/24 on highway. Without that I was getting less.

Old 03-20-2008, 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by partyman66
A G35 Coupe is really not that fast at all. Your experience with owning sports cars is obviously very limited to nonexistent if the G is the fastest sports car you've ever owned.

Overall.. I think some of you guys who responded already to this thread are being a little harsh on this guy for asking these questions about the car. More people in general should spend additional time/effort researching their car decisions before buying, rather than just buying on a whim because they like the way the car loooks.... particularly with a used car that's likely nearing the end of it's factory warranty term.

Now that I'm done ranting.... Here's my feedback on your post:

03/04 are pretty much the same... '05 got a newer rev-up version of the VQ engine in the 6MT coupes..... interior changed slightly due to some stitching on the steering wheel and leather quality, rim/tire packages are different(bigger 19" wheel options in '05+ with different design pattern), plus the '05's could be had with a sport suspension option that didn't exist on the '03/04 Coupes. Brembo brakes were discontinued after 04. There were more changes in the '06 coupes such as the addition of the rear active steer option, revised front bumper, some interior changes, etc, and projector headlights. Certain colors were added and discontinued too in some of those years, but I won't delve into those details.

I'm not even going to bother with this one because it varies soo much depending on what state/town you're in, and what your driving record is.

Rear axels that click and sometimes sound like chains dragging on the road.... TSB's cover the fix if you're car's under warranty. Power windows motors/actuators failing are common. Some people have had transmission problems with the 6MT's... but that's probably only like 5-10% of all 6MT's that have an issue with it. A lot of the '05+ rev-up motors have oil consumption issues. Some people also have problems with the filer neck on their gas tank and the pressure relief valve causing the car to not let them fill all the way up without the pump shutting off.... there is a TSB covering fuel filler neck issues due to them being prone to cracking.

Pretty accurate.... they have an aggressive OEM allignment(which helps with handling but wears your tires out quicker) and one of the parameters was not adjustable on the '03/04 Coupes... so you couldn't fix it without putting in aftermarket control arms that were configurable and allow you to change that other parameter.

The '03/'04 Brembo brakes wear out pretty fast and are real expensive to fix if you use OEM parts, but they stop insanely good and look fantastic. Worth it IMHO. The non-Brembos don't wear out as fast... particularly on the '05+.

The paint quality absolutely sucks. Chips galore, especially if you drive on the highway a lot. One of the cars biggest weaknesses.

Sounds pretty accurate... but it's heavily dependant upon how hard you drive. If you drive pretty light, you'll probalby get about 19-22/23 across the board. Some people say they get 26+ MPG on the highway.. but don't expect that unless you drive at 60 MPH on the highway. I get like 22 to 24 MPG on the highway at around 70 MPH. You'll want to get a Z-Tube and aftermarket high-flow air filter element(drop in replacement is fine) in order to get your economy up a little higher... even then, I still only get the 23/24 on highway. Without that I was getting less.
How was I harsh? Plus there were only 3 reponds.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:22 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by AGThing1227
How was I harsh? Plus there were only 3 reponds.
Not you... the other 2 responders. You posted your response while I was typing mine up... so it wasn't geared at all towards you.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:55 PM
I have an 07 coupe with 5k on it and the one thing you mentioned that I'll chime in about is the soft paint. It seems to scratch and chip faster and easier than any car I've ever owned. Other than that I'd recommend the car.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:27 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I say go with 03-04 manual. You get the brembos!!! And no oil consumption issues. On the downside less hp and no projector headlamps.

26. Liability only. Cops own me. $1600/year AAA.

Rattles etc. Nothing that annoys me too much or haven't gotten used too.

Im lowered so yes. I go through rears like crazy. That's with camber and toe kits too. Fronts wear fine with camber kit.

Can't answer this. I upgraded my pads and rotors since day 1. My upgrades are awesome.

true

Nope, but it depends on how you drive.

Get the car bro you will love it. But make sure it is a 6MT. Way more fun.

Last edited by silver g; 03-20-2008 at 09:32 PM.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:34 PM
Not you... the other 2 responders. You posted your response while I was typing mine up... so it wasn't geared at all towards you.
Ha, ok ma. I was about to say, I poseted the same stuff as you.

Get an 05, Brembos are expensive to replace. Save up for MR BBK or Wilwood BBK. Cheap compared to other kits. Also, 05 have warrenty.

-AGThing1227

Old 03-20-2008, 09:34 PM
Ha, ok man. I was about to say, I poseted the same stuff as you.

Get an 05, Brembos are expensive to replace. Save up for MR BBK or Wilwood BBK. Cheap compared to other kits. Also, 05 have warrenty.

-AGThing1227

Old 03-21-2008, 01:35 PM
thanks ... this is great info... i can settle without brembos... but i want to know if the oil consumption is gonna be a problem in the long run or not... also... the projectors are a must and the 2005s also had interior changes... if someone can elaborate on what they were, that would be great... i might just search these issues one by one on this forum to get a deeper level of information... if i were to get coilovers... would this help with the uneven tire wear? i assume they come with some kind of adjustment for camber... and lastly, what would be a good solution to take care of the paint problem for the front bumper given that i am 95% sure i am going to purchase a G.

Thanks for all your help... glad to join this community now.

Old 03-22-2008, 10:57 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
The G35 Coupe was never designed to be or is it an "economical" or "low maintenance" car. Yes these cars love to go through tires faster than any car I've ever owned. I have the stock setup and my fronts keep feathering and rears are gone in the centers. I'm on my 3rd set after 25,000 miles. The paint is the worst and I stay off of highways or my car would look like trash. 3rd and not to be forgotten is if this car is driven in an urban environment, it will rattle constantly from almost everywhere. I live on smooth Fl roads and I have my share. Those 3 items are my biggest complaints with tires being the #1 on the list. On the positive for me are the great looks, acceleration, stopping power, and strong A/T. It's still the best bang for the buck for a used G35. The G37s are already on the pricey side.

Last edited by bocatrip; 03-22-2008 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by bocatrip
The G35 Coupe was never designed to be or is it an "economical" or "low maintenance" car. Yes these cars love to go through tires faster than any car I've ever owned. I have the stock setup and my fronts keep feathering and rears are gone in the centers. I'm on my 3rd set after 25,000 miles. The paint is the worst and I stay off of highways or my car would look like trash. 3rd and not to be forgotten is if this car is driven in an urban environment, it will rattle constantly from almost everywhere. I live on smooth Fl roads and I have my share. Those 3 items are my biggest complaints with tires being the #1 on the list. On the positive for me are the great looks, acceleration, stopping power, and strong A/T. It's still the best bang for the buck for a used G35. The G37s are already on the pricey side.
You can fix all of these. A camber kit can take care of the tire problem (3 sets in 25,000 miles is your fault or something is wrong with the car. Search "Feathering". You can fix the paint problem with ClearBra. And if you get an 05 take it to the dealer to have them fix all the rattles they can. When they are done with it come back to the forums and find threads on how to fix any other rattles(There are numerious threads).
There you go problems fixed.

Think about it, Will a BMW, Lexus, Acura have any problems? You bet, every car has their problems. And as you can see there are VERY easy fixes to ours. So if someone says "Don't get it because the tires wear" or "Don't get it because you have to repaint your bumper 2 times a year". Just say thanks for your opinion and move on. Also why would you get a G(Luxury car) if you can barely afford to keep up with it?

-AGThing1227

Last edited by AGThing1227; 03-22-2008 at 11:30 AM.