G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Speeding Ticket

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 06:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Speeding Ticket

MrElusive,

I pride myself in being somewhat responsible with my coupe. I'm not saying that I've never broken the speed limit, but there is a point that one passes that breaks all limits of reason. Triple the speed limit is WAY PAST that point if you ask me. Also, about being a jerk. I offered a sound recommendation in my initial post trying to help this individual get out of his ticket. Re-read the post if you don't recall the advise. If you think that I'm being a jerk, so what? I have a loving family, a good job, and a strong will. You're not going to break my spirits by attacking my position, I promise.

Dragoncoupe stated: "You know what else is funny Neff. You have a lot of cool mods that I don't. =( Don't tell me you've never broken the speed limit with those mods."

Well yes dragoncoupe, I have "broken the speed limit" but never more than 14 mph over (and that was in a 70 mph zone). That's right, my G has NEVER seen 90mph! And as far as the mods go, I'm planning my FIRST EVER trip to the drag strip on Friday April the 15th, why don't you read PimpinPearls "Bithlo" thread in the SE Forum? I'm also planning on doing a little "INTRO" course at Seabring with a good buddy of mine who is on the Porsche GT racing team and he also races spec Miata in the SCCA. I just want to get a few things done to my car, and get a few miles on it before I get "too crazy" (in a RESPONSIBLE way) with it.

Unlike when I was 23 years old, I now have A LOT to lose. I have a wife, two children, a 20+ year passion for surfing, a good group of friends, a cool church group, a great house and two really nice cars. Why would I want to get in an accident causing major harm to someone and risk losing most of what I've just talked about. At some point you have to become RESPONSIBLE, and when a person is tripling the speed limit on public streets they are NOT ACTING RESPONSIBLE, regardless of the type of car they are driving.

When an individual reaches a point in their life where other people are actually important to them, THEN they have truly grown up. I hope some of you reach this point sooner than later.

And to the seven people, so far, who have IM'd me in support of my position (but for whatever reason have choosen to remain quiet) THANK YOU! I appreciate your comments.

2004 Infiniti G35C-6MT
LR | Willow | Premium | Aero | Splash | BSM
30% Lumar Tint | Invinca Shield (C-Bra)
Z-Tube | JWT Pop Charger | RT Cats
JIC Y-Pipe & Crawford Plenum (on order)

Old 04-04-2004, 06:32 PM

Bravo.

Some of you think he's not helping by making certain points regarding driving, safety, and taking responsibility for one's actions, but maybe that's what everyone needs. Maybe not the originator of this post, but for a lot of you street racers out there. Imagine if you or someone you loved got into a terrible, terrible accident due to speeding. Imagine what you wouldn't give to have just taken it easy, let the other guy beat you, etc. and etc.

-T

Old 04-04-2004, 06:33 PM

If this is just a traffic ticket (as opposed to criminal charges) then there should be a fixed dollar cost of the ticket. Depends on the municipality, but most of the time there are brackets with a fixed dollar amount per bracket over the limit. That being said, most of the time there is a 25 mph + (or something like that, it varies) category where if you're in that bracket, there may be an automatic suspension.

Find out what the brackets are (call the clerk, they can tell you), and if you're in a bracket with a fixed cost, and you won't be suspended, pay it. If you go to court (I've been to court in Illinois, SC, GA, and TN) and plead "not guilty" and you're found guilty, you will pay AT LEAST what you would have otherwise, plus court costs, and the judge may have a kid killed by a DUI and they'll fine the crap out of you. Keep in mind that traffic court is NOT criminal court and you are not protected by due process. It's quasi court.

I say, find out if there's a fixed "guilty" cost, and if it keeps your license pay it. If there's a chance you'll lose the license, by all means get a lawyer. When you plead guilty to a "fixed cost bracketed ticket" then the court does not take additional recourse. You just send your check to the clerk, they cash it, and you're done.

As far as insurance goes, every state varies. Some have points, some do not. Some clerks don't even send the info to your insurance, and when they do, it's practically a random decision whether or not your rate will be affected.

It's a risk/reward decision. The risk of pleading not guilty and losing is huge. The risk of paying a fix, known cost and keeping your license is "known" and fixed.

All I'm saying is, call your insurance agent, call the clerk, and get all the info you can....then make a decision with the lowest risk keeping in mind your goal is to keep your license.

Guys, he knows he screwed up and none of us is an angel, lighten up on the guy and count your blessings it wasn't you. We've all been stupid and we've all had near misses. For the kids out there that haven't had there fair share of lessons learned the hard way, pay attention and learn from his mistake.

Old 04-04-2004, 06:47 PM

Blackbuzzard... Your post...

""Editted to apologize to Moss. I just had to vent. It seems ppl are attacking me when I am pretty much already beaten. This is a horrible week for me. Last night I was up late researching traffic lawyers. Woke up for work a lil woozy today and tired. Arrived at work and as I was parking my G, I hit a pole behind the car on the left blindspot area that I couldnt see during those wee early morning (5am) hours. Now my rear bumper is scuffed. Its not extremely bad but it hurts looking at it as I have been babying and prtotecting my G for the past 4 months that I have owned it. Believe me I am hurting.
'04 G coupe TB Graph 5A (all options except NAV and SAT).
No Mods.....yet
"Hello Everybody...My name is Black and I am a G-oholic."
Edited by BlackBuzzard on 04/03/04 05:05 PM."

...was heart felt and nice to read. I am sorry your G got scuffed and hopefully you'll be able to put all of this behind you very soon. As far as the speeding incident, that's over. The MOST IMPORTANT thing is that no one was hurt and hopefully you learned a lesson from all of this. I hope there is a way that you can get out of any fines or trouble you might be in, if only for the fact that you have really learned a lesson from this situation and do not repeat this type of activity in the future. That is the point of the fines anyway, to keep someone from repeating a specific behavior.

Remember, the G is only a car which can be fixed or replaced YOU are a little harder to come by [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]. Best wishes to you and your family... Neffster

2004 Infiniti G35C-6MT
LR | Willow | Premium | Aero | Splash | BSM
30% Lumar Tint | Invinca Shield (C-Bra)
Z-Tube | JWT Pop Charger | RT Cats
JIC Y-Pipe & Crawford Plenum (on order)

Old 04-04-2004, 09:05 PM

Blitz...I work for the MTA New york City Subway Trains. I wish I did work for the LIRR. Those guys make a great deal of money doing what they do. I am a Conductor.

Neff..I respect you man. Thanks for the advice. I am not a racer at all. I dont have the skills for racing. I did enjoy driving fast whenever chance permitted me to have some free open lanes on the highway (which is very rare in NYC these days) but I dont enjoy it anymore after all this trouble.

Cat..We have 3 cars in my family and everyone is on everyones policy so all isnurance rates will get jacked up because of my stupidity. As far as the penalties..I am up against license suspension here. I am hiring a lawyer.

Old 04-05-2004, 02:54 AM

Sorry to butt into your conversation MrElussive, but I'm sure that you think you are a competent driver. I'd say 100% of the drivers on this board think they are competent.

I'd even go so far to say that when nobody else is around you, go ahead and do your "spirited" whips around corners and hard acceleration up to 5-10% over the speed limit. I mean, it's your life and all. But when there are others, oncoming traffic lanes, etc., I think even no matter how "in control" you think you are, you never ever know. It only takes one whip around the corner (even with VDC on) and a blown tire to pull across oncoming traffic and kill a minivan full of kids and their mom. I think that's the whole point, as neffster and others have stated, keep the "track" manuevers to the track, and be safe on the road. An adrenaline rush is NOT worth the life of yours or the lives of others. NEVER.

-T

Old 04-05-2004, 04:03 AM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

BACK ON TOPIC....

just insight to my own situation:

i got a speeding ticket for going 61 mph in a 25 mph construction zone (since you don't know the area or the specific situation, no lecture please). i was driving a rental at the time to go pick up my Coupe from the dealership This was back in Jan 13.

I requested an automatic extension online through the county's Superior Court. Do a yahoo search and you'll find it. My citation had a court date of 02/02. The courtesy notice you will get gives you more time, I got until 02/26. My extension sent the court date to 03/29.

I then hired a lawyer who went to court for me. Cost me $500.00

He got me a court date with the judge for 07/16. Don't know what's going to happen in court, but as you can see, the ticket was on 01/13, and my court date won't be until 07/16, more than 6 months later.

Don't know what's going to happen at this court date, but my lawyer says he'll try to plead in down to an infraction, rather than a misdemeanor. That will reduce the fee and no points on my DMV. Most lawyers will try to win on technicality's, but worst case they'll try to plea down the charges. This is my first speeding ticket in almost 8 yrs of driving.

I was not eligible for traffic school.

hope this helps.

Golden Gate G35s

Old 04-05-2004, 07:10 AM
Banned

Buz,

Transit is not a bad living. My dad has retired to Fla. on his NYC Transit pension. 30 years as a bus driver - MABSTOA

<font color=blue>04 G35C DG AT
Prem Aero Perf
Rear SG, Clear Corners
V1
<font color=red>Long Island, New York, USA</font color=red>
</font color=blue>